V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
494 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My new scoot (FLSTCI) hasn't been born yet, but new shiney pipes and a clearer nose will be first on the list. While performance (and looks) is important, I not going to fool myself into believing that I'm going to scare anyone with a big bore S&S or Merch - so exhaust tone is top on my list. Won't have the opportunity to demo-listen, so lookin' for opinions:

1st, I'm looking for pipes that are semi-loud but not obnoxious - I don't have neighbors to worry about and I can behave myself in town, but I have to live with it and I have long since outgrown the look-at-me-I'm-bad phase (now days, I prefer to go unnoticed) - sitting in the saddle for a few hours has to be bearable without earplugs and residual ringing-in-the-ear.

2nd, I prefer the mellow, soft edged tone. The sharp edged crack/crackle similar to that of a straight pipe doesn't work for me.

3rd, Gotta have twin pipes - 2 into 1 might be great for performance, but the difference would be insignificant and laughable next to a built American V-Twin, so I'm stickin' with what I think looks best.

For this bike - love the looks of the V&H Big Shots Longs........do they meet the above criterea if baffles are left in place? Any other suggestions?

Ride on.

·
Banned
4,276 Posts
I drilled out the baffles on my Dyna TC. It gave a deep, deep, low note. Essentially the pipe was a straight glass pack. I could sneak about if I needed to, it would roar if I jumped on it. I just put Cycle Shacks on. There is a noticeable difference in volume. LOUD !!! Mebbe you could troll ebay for a drilled set of pipes, or a set to drill and try 'em out. Once you drill ya can't go back. FWIW, my buddy has SE pipes on his and I think it sounds tinny, like a canned note. Another buddy has V&H long shots on his. I'll see him next weekend. I'll let you know about the sound if you haven't made up your mind.

·
DR EVO
1,757 Posts
heres my heritage with the bigshot longs. they have a hidden crossover to give you the 2into1 advantage but still look and sound like straights. top notch quality and fit, and no blueing. check partsdirect.com for prices. i have a pic with the bags on but imagestation is being a pain, if you want i can post pic later.

·
Banned
4,276 Posts
The Shacks with baffles make a 'crack' and 'pop pop pop' -- on decel. They're loud and obnoxious. The factory mufflers with baffles drilled out have like a 'drone -rumble' deep mellow note. I probably lost some low end also. When I rode to Iowa, I couldn't hear them over the wind noise unless I hopped on it. With the new ones, I hear the pipes costantly, but I have my low end torque back.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts