V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought my '05 FXDX in August (it was used with 7 grand on the odometer). The reg expires in November, and while I did express concern over what I would have to pay for renewal, I didn't whine about it. An envelope from the dealer arrived in the mail today with the '06 tag. Should I sing their praises or be suspicious? It put's $200 in my Christmas fund, so I'm kinda happy about that.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Dunno but I would guess it was part of the deal when you bought it. If not some one at your dealer is very very nice.

·
Highly Seasoned Rider!
4,884 Posts
As Tuf says, it might be part of the deal. Make sure that you are not financing the registration. People do that all of the time. Problem is, it institutionalizes a recurring cost.

·
Premium Member
685 Posts
sounds very odd to me. Aside from the oddity of unsolicited generosity from a DEALER, there's the insurance issue. I don't know about CA, but in CO we have to provide proof of insurance in order to register a newly purchased vehicle. Even you had insurance on your previous one, you must show a new/valid insurance card that is specific for your new vehicle. There's other things too that just don't seem right, but I'd like to hear from others on this.

·
Registered
1,657 Posts
Sounds like they included it in the deal to me, Merry Christmas!

·
DHARMA Initiative
5,678 Posts
You'll get the bill Christmas eve. :laugh:

·
Free agent
795 Posts
90 days

I many states (re: Florida), if you transfer a tag that expires within 90days, the dealership will automatically renew it for you. A lot of customers get P'O''d when they buy a vehicle and forget when the tag expires. The reason that they forget is that they usually do not get a renewal notice on the new vehicle, so they forget to update. By updating the tag for the customer, the dealer keeps the customer a lot happier and the salesman and dealer take a lot less grief having to listen to a customer complain how he got pulled over by the local Highway Patrol for an expired tag. You probably paid for an update but the dealer never disclosed it completely..

·
XLIII
10,078 Posts
05fatty said:
sounds very odd to me. Aside from the oddity of unsolicited generosity from a DEALER, there's the insurance issue. I don't know about CA, but in CO we have to provide proof of insurance in order to register a newly purchased vehicle. Even you had insurance on your previous one, you must show a new/valid insurance card that is specific for your new vehicle. There's other things too that just don't seem right, but I'd like to hear from others on this.
My dealer doesn't let you off the lot without proof of insurance (I suppose it's got to do w/ them financing, maybe), so maybe what the dealer has you provide for proof satisfies the state requirement?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts