V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
3/24/2006

Sadly, at almost 62, it looks as if age has finally begun to catch up with me. It's probably time I stop riding if I don't want to cause further health problems down the road. I have a bit of general "overall" arthritis and also some mild carpal tunnel syndrome in my hands and wrists caused by working as a cabinetmaker for many years and the symptoms have begun to flare up again. I guess it's probably time to listen to what my body is telling me, so I've decided to sell the Bagger (details here), along with my riding gear (I'll post that later). Pictures on The Bagger Blog. Both these URLs are on my private, non-commercial bike website.

I fondly remember the days of my youth and how much I enjoyed my two-wheeled adventures back then. I'm VERY grateful to have been able to ride again later in life and will always hold both these sets of memories in a very special place.

I have decided to save what's left of my hands to fingerpick my Martin guitar and caress my wife's body (altho' NOT necessarily in that order!). Adios, amigos!

·
Soar like an Eagle
2,570 Posts
Will sorry to hear of your health issues and to see you are selling. Bike likes very nice, basically a new bike so you should be able to sell easily. Good luck to you.

·
Registered
2,044 Posts
Man that's tough,maybe get a lighter bike for occasional riding 'eh.
I know about cabinet making and what it does to the hands.
I've been a cabinetmaker since '75 but the last few years mostly doing design and layout work for a custom shop.

·
it wasn't me
340 Posts
That's gotta be one of the toughest decision to ever make, worse than deciding to retire or get a divorce. As Y2K said, maybe a small bike to putz around on once in a while would help to ease the pain.

Good luck in your endeavors!

·
Registered
155 Posts
Sorry to hear of your health problems. I hope you've thought things over. I have had two years of problems ranging from blood clot in one leg to knee surgery on the other. My days are good to bad with most inbetween. One thing I have noticed.....I feel better when I'm out on my scoot and my mind gets clear! Good luck with your decision and hope your health gets better!

·
Turgid member
1,941 Posts
I too am sorry to hear this news. I just recently bought an item off this site from Will. I was very happy with the deal. This bike sounds like a great deal as well. I also wonder how long I have to ride, and what will be the reason to not continue. Good luck, and good health.
RG

·
Seasoned Prime Member
446 Posts
Sorry to see another rider hang up his spur's. I to am getting close to that point in my life and health, three ruptured discs in my neck and diabetes, but I have to give the Road King a chance to breath and then maybe an Ultra till the end. That's a beautiful bike. Maybe you do need something a little lighter for that occasional ride on a warm summer night..........{salute(

·
Premium Member
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Thanks For the Memories

Thanks for the heartfelt replies. This is really a major decision that has been coming for some time. One of the reasons I traded the Super Glide in on the Bagger last Fall was vibration at low speeds in the handlebars on the Dyna. The new scoot has helped some in this but even with the new reduced-effort clutch on the '06's, my left hand still has a lot of stiffness after a ride and the throttle gripping causes me some achiness, too. If I rode primarily long-distance, cruise control would probably help, but I REALLY like to ride the backcountry on two-lane twisty roads (the thing I built my Sporty for- but it REALLY beat me up!)). A properly-tuned suspension to allow decent handling on the kind of roads I like to ride on also isn't very good for the bad disks in my back either.

With all the stuff I've done to my body over the years, I'm very lucky to have had the last 2 years of riding that I managed to get in.

:thanks:​

·
Seasoned Prime Member
446 Posts
Wizwill said:
Thanks for the heartfelt replies. This is really a major decision that has been coming for some time. One of the reasons I traded the Super Glide in on the Bagger last Fall was vibration at low speeds in the handlebars on the Dyna. The new scoot has helped some in this but even with the new reduced-effort clutch on the '06's, my left hand still has a lot of stiffness after a ride and the throttle gripping causes me some achiness, too. If I rode primarily long-distance, cruise control would probably help, but I REALLY like to ride the backcountry on two-land twisty roads (the thing I built my Sporty for- but it REALLY beat me up!)). A properly-tuned suspension to allow decent handling on the kind of roads I like to ride on also isn't very good for the bad disks in my back either.

With all the stuff I've done to my body over the years, I'm very lucky to have had the last 2 years of riding that I managed to get in.

:thanks:​
The sh!t we do to ourselves when we're young and think we're indestructable!!!???:duh?: Sometime the Bro's get mad at me cause I have to stop after an hour so I can stand for 5 damn minutes!!:hmmm:

·
Registered
217 Posts
Same color as my 05. Same exhaust also. We all have to do what we have to do. I also regret the day I have to stop riding and bowhunting. Good luck in the future. Out Door Dan:chopper:

·
Registered
434 Posts
You might want to check out some of the new super scooters on the market now (like the Honda Silver Wing), Really nice and competent machines. Very easy on the body. Good wind and weather protection, comfortable. Just twist and go. All the best to you.

·
Ridin' & Glidin'
2,116 Posts
Wizz,
Sorry to hear about having to give up riding and hope that you will not have to resort to public transportation after you can't grip a steering wheel.

At almost 53 years of age I just had all the nerve conduction studies done yada-yada-yada no compressed nerves just wore out joints and carpal tunnel in both wrists and I am considering selling my XR600 dirt bike because of lost strength in my hands and not sure if I can hang on to the handle bars at speed but then I see guys missing arms or legs that still ride. :unsure:

Might find some answers here -->
http://www.mtb-amputee.com/motorcycleamputee.htm

·
Registered
4 Posts
maybe that new Yamaha touring bike would be able to keep the wind in your face? automatic transmission, 600cc I think...looks light. I can't even imagine the emotional toll that this sort of decision is putting on you. Best of luck and heath to you Will.

·
Registered
9,150 Posts
Wil,

You have my prayers and best wishes on your decision not to ride. It is something I do not look forward to. I plan on 10 more years and then, God willing, a trike conversion.

Glad to know that sex is still on the docket... another thing I wonder about.

My brother is in the market for a bagger... though his sights are set on an RK Classic. I've forwarded him your links and will let you know if he is interested.

Mike

·
Premium Member
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Progress Report

Continuing thanks for the messages of support. The weather here is FINALLY starting to warm up; The scoots are starting to appear. This isn't going to be easy, but it has been almost a week since my last ride and I'm just today able to use my left hand without wincing in pain.

This damned hand problem first surfaced in 1992 and was the underlying reason I sold my cabinet shop back then after 20 years of using hand chisels and planes. That is also when I began my involvement with speech recognition computers. If I type with my hands "perched" over a keyboard, my wrists lock up in about 10 minutes. I have to use a wireless 'split/ergo" keyboard in my lap and dictate as much of my correspondence as possible these days.

I haven't had much trouble with my hands for several years. I'm just real happy I've been able to ride for the past 2 years. I've sure enjoyed the 'borrowed time' but I'm not going to push it any further.

·
Wandering Child
632 Posts
Guess that means it's gone...

If not, maybe consider an autoclutch setup. One of the recent Cycle Source magazines gave it a good review.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Dammit man...i thought i had it bad.....i don't think i'll ever quit riding as long as i can get a leg up and over....i had a bad fall in '75 that left me in traction for a year and left hip got worse every year since...in '85 another bad fall and lost half of left leg, same side, and a lot of burned skin....ths winter, january, i got a hip replacement and just got a new artificial leg and am planning on riding to Alabama next month... the reason i'm telling you all of this, is because i thought i was going to have to quit riding a few times too....ya never know whats down the road for ya, so i hope ya don't give up and quit......if ya do, ya do, but at least keep an option open for those "sunny days"......

1 - 20 of 20 Posts