V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
772 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone read that article in Cycle World about the new 72 degree V-Twin, 145 HP, 80 something foot lbs of torque, water cooled firebreathing Buell?

Wow, it surely looks like it might even have a chance to compete on the superbike (1000cc) circuit, especially since it and the Ducati with get the usual displancement relief for V-Twins.

The article was talking about every part on this bike already has FEA performed against it. Anyone care to comment? I wonder how it will perform on the street. I have never ridden a Buell but after reading the article and the way they raved, I seriously wonder how it would put up against a GSXR, or NINGA, or R1 in the 1000cc class.
:huh:

·
Premium Member
730 Posts
I've been trying following it. Like to see how it actually performs in shoot outs as well as on the race track.

·
Registered
772 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Dll66

I surely hope that it does better then the last time around for Buel/HD in the GP circuit.

The new engine is boasting a 1.5:1 (piston diameter to stroke ratio). I guess thats common amonst sprot bikes. I ride a modified 98 inch GMR build that is close to 1:1. From the sounds of it, this new (roatax) engine ought to be a good one.

Hopefully this will allow Buell/HD/Rotax to get back into the competitive arena.

·
Registered
2,044 Posts
Roadie said:
Hopefully this will allow Buell/HD/Rotax to get back into the competitive arena.
I read the C/W story and others.
Seems Buell has no plans to go racing and this bike is built for the road not the track.
It is however quite capable and will surely end up on the track via privateers.

·
Registered
105 Posts
There will be a dealer orientation for this bike on Monday Oct. 8th at Road America in Elkhart Lake WI starting around 8:30 a.m. There won't be access to the grounds for the general public, but there are several places where sections of the track can be viewed from the road.

·
Registered
772 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Y2k

Y2K said:
I read the C/W story and others.
Seems Buell has no plans to go racing and this bike is built for the road not the track.
It is however quite capable and will surely end up on the track via privateers.

Agreed! with the engine numbers that were quoted in the CW report, it would appear that the rotax powered Buell should be something to be reconed with on the street or track. To me, I think that Buell is keeping an Ace in its pocket in saying that this bike is not built for racing in case it flops again. Lets keep in mind that the report does state that all of the parts have been subjected to FEA. That alone, pretty much indicates what their intentions really are. But then again, thats just my take. Personally, I don't think that Buell really has a budget that could compete with the likes of Yammerhammer, Skudsuki, HAHAHAHAHAHonda, or even Ducati. And like you said, unless a privateer comes along and starts doing well with a Buell, only then would Buell jump into the mix with some funds I would imagine.

It would be pretty cool to witness the track tests, especially if Buell had the balls to put their new machine upagainst a GSXR or an R1 to base line it. Ha! likely chance.:hystria:

·
Registered
276 Posts
Roadie said:
Anyone read that article in Cycle World about the new 72 degree V-Twin, 145 HP, 80 something foot lbs of torque, water cooled firebreathing Buell?

Wow, it surely looks like it might even have a chance to compete on the superbike (1000cc) circuit, especially since it and the Ducati with get the usual displancement relief for V-Twins.

@gree:

It's going to be an impressive machine, I would think. I've owned 3 Buells now, and I don't think that people who haven't ridden them realize just how much better they handle than almost anything else out there. With the right riders, I don't see why this couldn't be competitive.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts