V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to keep everything on my new FXDL stock for awhile, but I would also like to get more of that "Harley Rumble". I don't want to completely remove the baffles from the stock mufflers, so what's left for me to do?
Any help is appreciated.
 

·
Traveling Man
Joined
·
1,272 Posts
Flash said:
I want to keep everything on my new FXDL stock for awhile, but I would also like to get more of that "Harley Rumble". I don't want to completely remove the baffles from the stock mufflers, so what's left for me to do?
Any help is appreciated.
Flash, keeping your FXDL stock and getting more of that harley rumble do not go together. However removing the mufflers and replacing with mufflers such as Cycle Shack slip ons will be a fairly cheap option. They are about $130 on the net. You can keep your stock mufflers for future use.

Later,
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,229 Posts
If you remove your baffles the only thing you'll have is a louder bike. If you want a Harley that sounds like a Harley, get a 74 c.i.d. generator Shovel and put 1 3/4" straight pipes on it.
 
B

·
Guest
Joined
·
0 Posts
Hmm, neither of the above options sound much like 'keeping it stock', do they? ;-)

Some guys like to remove the stock mufflers, then use a long 1/2" dowel and a mallet to knock out the circular plug you see when you look inside the muffler. They claim that this mod makes the stock muffler essentially the same as the SE "torque' muffler. Haven't tried it myself ("What!?! He doesn't mind the stock sound?!? Freaking weirdo ...") but I bet if you asked in the general forum you'd find someone who has.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4 Posts
Factory pipe vs. slip ons

I did just what you are talking about, (on the dealer recommendation) and drilled out the little discs in the factory pipes... That will boost your "sound" quotient; and with a high-flow air box and a re-jet, you might feel a bit of a boost in the bike. This year, I just installed (myself) a set of the Cycle-Shack slip-ons, among many other pieces. The factory pipes were a bit of a bear to get off, ( I have a '00 FXDL w/ 4,000 mi. on it) Yeah, I know not many miles, but I travel a lot so not a ton of time to rack 'em up. The factory pipes, punched out sounded pretty good actually, but still had that "Pfffit-pfffit-pfffit" sound, a little "air-pumpy" for me. Now, after putting the CS' on last weekend and firing up the bike... all I can say is GO SPEND THE $$$ and get the CS' !!!! It's not obnoxious by any stretch, but they sound rich, a real nice idle sound and they bark just enough when you get on it... Yeah dude, stock sucks! Ya buy a Harley, you need to consider it an ongoing work of art... it says a lot about you and your tastes. But don't get me wrong, I'm not dumping on ya'... You're on an HD! Amen to that! I'm on my second in three years... (Was a sport-bike guy for 12 years before this). You really do meet the nicest people on a Harley ( I know that was Honds line way back, but...). 80% of the battle you have won, now the other 20%, to win the war... Bust out the J&P or Dennis Kirk catalogs, or hit the net and spend some dough! I have found the greatest satisfaction in doing a little at a time, that way it always seems like something new, gives you something fun to do, (if you turn your own wrenches) and if you're married... it keeps you wife from freaking out when she sees that your debit card had been replaced 4 times in the last year due to a worn out magnetic strip! Ride safe, and whatever you do just enjoy your ride... your way! I have only been on this forum for a short time, but have read a ton of good info, and feel that there are some real die-hard devotees here... can't ask for much more than that.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
171 Posts
Ditto on the Cycle Shacks! I put the baloney cut ones on my new FXD and have been doing nothing but smilin'.(can't seem to keep the bugs out of my teeth now)

Sheepboy
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
86 Posts
I had 25 miles on my 99 FXDS when I road it home brand new. The first thing I did that night was to pull the muflers off and replace them with Screaming Eagles 1 slip ons which cost me about $80.00 at the time. Then I replaced the air cleaner with the scream eagle one and did the jet thing and I have been a happy bikers ever since. I now have the sound I desire and the performance I wanted. Other than these two mods my bike is stock. I think I would like to install the higher rev limeter, but I'm in no hurry. Total cost for this I think was about $200.00 including two new muffler clamps.
 
1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Top