V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Recon
839 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Lately the entire Houston Texas area has become one giant speed trap. You guys be very careful.

·
Premium Member
39 Posts
That sounds like the guy I wrote a ticket to last week that I got on radar 14 m.p.h. over..He said " I wasn't speeding today and I wasn't speeding the last time you gave me a ticket and I wasn't speeding when that trooper gave me the ticket last week" I asked him if he knew how fast he was driving his 18 wheeler and he further told me, "No I couldn't see because the sun was blinding me" :yes: :yes: :yes:

Don't know about you but when I'm on my bike I like to see em working...Now if we could just get em to outlaw trying to drive while talking on cell phones! :(

·
Recon
839 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
lawman 101 said:
That sounds like the guy I wrote a ticket to last week that I got on radar 14 m.p.h. over..He said " I wasn't speeding today and I wasn't speeding the last time you gave me a ticket and I wasn't speeding when that trooper gave me the ticket last week" I asked him if he knew how fast he was driving his 18 wheeler and he further told me, "No I couldn't see because the sun was blinding me" :yes: :yes: :yes:

Don't know about you but when I'm on my bike I like to see em working...Now if we could just get em to outlaw trying to drive while talking on cell phones! :(
Thats not what was meant. I was cruising 55 in a 45 and I will pay my ticket. But ther is a huge number of traps this month and you better watch your speed!

·
Registered
722 Posts
I got caught in one in Dublin, OH even though they had a couple of those "speed enforcement zone" signs. I was doing 50 in a 45.

·
Premium Member
39 Posts
screwing folks

Giving a ticket to someone for doing 5 over the limit has nothing to do with safety and has everything to do with generating revenue. That's just legalized government oppression...:boxin:

·
The Best Me I Can Be
22,728 Posts
lawman 101 said:
Giving a ticket to someone for doing 5 over the limit has nothing to do with safety and has everything to do with generating revenue. That's just legalized government oppression...:boxin:
Same with the unmarked ''stealth'' patrol cars.

Joe

·
Knower of Stuff
1,978 Posts
Yeah, but stopping you for load pipes, or the beanie helmet is okay in CA.
And CA does have speed traps, they are just setup a little different to avoid the law, by using different locations around town, not the same place all the time.
And 5 over the speed limit is a matter of location. A school zone, throw the book at you. The street in front of my house where the kids play, throw the book at you. The highway, who cares, Colorado does that's who.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Ralston said:
Lately the entire Houston Texas area has become one giant speed trap. You guys be very careful.
Gotta boost the revenue for Christmas bonuses!!! :D (just kidding)

I drive 100 miles a day, so thanks for the info!

·
Registered
3,981 Posts
fourstar said:
Speed traps are illegal in California. :D :D :D
They are illegal in the United States Period! Now the definition of a speed trap, I won't go into it but will tell you that most radar tickets can be beaten in court but you will need to do alot of legal research as you will need case law which is tedious to reasearch and difficult for lay persons to understand. It takes alot of time and for most, just easier to pay the $100-150 and get on with life.
I have beaten the two I have gotten over the past 15 years but I have the time and resources to do the reaserch as well as the understanding of the legal system and how to navigate it without benefit (and cost) of counsel.
Kinda like some guys can work on their own bikes....
I can beat my own tickets.....
Of course, most lawyers are just as poorly prepared for their jobs as most Stealer wrenches are for theirs....

Also, If you're getting cited for 5mph over the limit, I garuntee you can beat that ticket, like lawman said, that's revenue generation and I'd wager there are numerous problems with such enforcement. It's a speed trap for sure, now you just gotta prove it

Oh yeah, if you are reading this and wanna fight your own speeding ticket, start with the Manual on Uniform Traffic Control Devices (MUTCD), It is the holy grail under which all stat statutes and authorities must comply!

·
Registered
9,250 Posts
Ralston said:

Well heck Ralston... since you built that rocket-Harley, you just drive too doggone fast!!:D ...I tend to have the same problem.

·
Premium Member
1,298 Posts
I hate the tickets but I sure like to see them out there.... except for the Addison Texas Police Department... they are sneaky basturds.

Thanks for doing what you do lawman 101 and stay safe out there. We just lost a Fort Worth officer last week and a Dallas officer about 3 weeks ago.{salute(

·
Premium Member
39 Posts
rpbrock said:
I hate the tickets but I sure like to see them out there.... except for the Addison Texas Police Department... they are sneaky basturds.

Thanks for doing what you do lawman 101 and stay safe out there. We just lost a Fort Worth officer last week and a Dallas officer about 3 weeks ago.{salute(
\
Thanks for the encouragement..Odd how offficers death often come in multiples over a very short period of time..I saw it time and time again in my 24 yerars with Houston P.D. We actually lost three solo officers in a 24 hour period in separate accidents once...

·
Registered
722 Posts
adlerx said:
They are illegal in the United States Period! Now the definition of a speed trap, I won't go into it but will tell you that most radar tickets can be beaten in court but you will need to do alot of legal research as you will need case law which is tedious to reasearch and difficult for lay persons to understand. It takes alot of time and for most, just easier to pay the $100-150 and get on with life.
I have beaten the two I have gotten over the past 15 years but I have the time and resources to do the reaserch as well as the understanding of the legal system and how to navigate it without benefit (and cost) of counsel.
Kinda like some guys can work on their own bikes....
I can beat my own tickets.....
Of course, most lawyers are just as poorly prepared for their jobs as most Stealer wrenches are for theirs....

Also, If you're getting cited for 5mph over the limit, I garuntee you can beat that ticket, like lawman said, that's revenue generation and I'd wager there are numerous problems with such enforcement. It's a speed trap for sure, now you just gotta prove it

Oh yeah, if you are reading this and wanna fight your own speeding ticket, start with the Manual on Uniform Traffic Control Devices (MUTCD), It is the holy grail under which all stat statutes and authorities must comply!

Of course it's BS. Maybe you have the time to fight it and prove it's illegal, most, including myself don't. The point is it does no good to give the cops a bunch of crap. They follow orders just just every one else. If the city needs revenue they turn to the easiest way, write tickets. The one thing that doesn't make it a "speed trap" is they put big signs warning drivers they're entering a code enforcement area. I doubt that would be a winnable case.

·
FOG
6,970 Posts
fourstar said:
Gee whiz, does anyone think they might write tickets as a means of accident reduction?
Those would be the tickets written to some other guy.

:D

T113

·
Registered
310 Posts
fourstar said:
Gee whiz, does anyone think they might write tickets as a means of accident reduction?
well, some tickets are for violations of good driving practice that represent a danger to the public, for example, uh, running red lights. clearly a safety issue that needs to be addressed, and ticketing is one of the ways to try to reduce that.

on the other hand, lots of speeding tickets seems pretty arbitrary to me. evidence of this is that speed limits change for reasons other than public safety. the national speed limit on the freeway was set (lowered) to 55 years ago not to increase safety, but to reduce national fuel use. then the limit was raised as concern over fuel use abated. it has nothing to do with safety. lots of tickets were written for violating that speed limit for speeds that would be legal today.

for motorcyclists (you do ride a motorcycle, right?), the Hurt study indicated car drivers violating your right of way by turning left in front of you at an intersection is a far bigger danger to you than speeding. anicdotally speaking, when i was rear ended i was stopped at a light, and hit by a person who was not speeding, just not paying attention. we all dodge non-speeding drivers who dont bother to look where they are going whenever we ride. speeding rarely has anything to do with it. speeding is, however, very easy to enforce.

that said im sure there are legitimate cases of speed related public safety that tickets address, but I suspect this is a very small percental of speeding tickets written.

-Dogtown max :coffee:

·
Registered
248 Posts
stupid me + screw job = $100 ticket

Heres a scenario for you all,

I'm driving home from 1/2 day of work Nov 23'rd middle of the day here in wonderful Massachusetts.
I see a whole bunch of cars lumped together on the highway going EXACTLY the speed limit...so as I slowly get closer, I see a MA state cop in the center of 3 lanes going EXACTLY the speed limit (65)
...so we all follow him for a while, I am in the fast lane but doing the speed limit. I realize I have to get over to the right to get off my exit within a mile, and it is hard to get in with all the people afraid to pass this cop.

...well you can guess the rest, I, like an idiot, decide I will SLOWLYas possible inch up on the cop, juuusst get in front of him, signal to go to the center, then to the right to get off the exit.

...so I inch up on the "trooper" and basically am mirrroring his speed trying as slowly as humanly possible not to antagonize him and slip around him...
I must have been doing say...68 mph. So as soon as I get a foot past his car....he puts on his light, pulls me over and writes me a ticket for 70 in a 65 zone, and also checked the box that said he got me on radar....

I mean I know it was stupid of me to pass him and all the other guys must have gotten a good laugh at my expense, but what a jackoff!!! People everyday go 80 on that highway with impunity.

Anyway, just thought I'd share my enriching experience. I'm gonna fight the ticket but I'll probably lose.....I know I know lesson learned never pass a cop, but shixt, he was just baiting all of us waiting for someone to pass him. Just doesn't seem right...and yes I know I was an idiot:huh:

ace57
'05 FXDL "molly"

·
Premium Member
7,046 Posts
I saw an accident caused by excessive speed where the violator got off and I can't for the life of me figure out why... except for maybe a lazy cop.

I was traveling north up RT 9 in Poughkeepsie, NY one day coming from Wappingers Falls. Those that know the area will know where I'm talking about. There is a very long uphill coming out of Wappingers Falls after crossing the bridge over Wappingers Creek. It's 3 lanes divided both directions. At the top the road levels out a little and then dips a little lower into a stretch of about 1/4 mile to a light.

I was in the far left lane heading north toward the light and watched in my mirror as two Honda Civics came up in the right two lanes racing. My guess is they were doing near 80 mph. The speed limit is 45.

Just as they passed me and topped the hill, there was an older guy pulling out of a Firestone store about 200 yards from the light on the right. Keep in mind that you cannot see anyone coming up the hill until they top it. Also keep in mind that if anyone coming up that hill at the speed limit or near it will have time to stop if they see someone pulling out from the right side.

So, the old guy pulls out because he didn't see anyone and all of a sudden one of the Civics tops the hill at extremely high speed. The guy pulling out could not have seen or anticipated this. The guy in the Civic hits the guy pulling out, bounces to the left across the road, gets into a spin and ends up in the southbound lane. The guy that pulled out pulls over and then backs up back into the Firestone parking lot.

I stop and watch the little puke in the Civic drive across the median and head up the road towards a mall. The old guy was ok and shortly thereafter I see a cop show up to talk to him. Not long after that the cop screams out of the Firestone parking lot and heads towards the mall.

I follow the cop and he has a bead on the Civic asshole and his race partner sitting in the mall parking lot surveying the damage. I pull up behind the cop, who looks at me briefly and goes to talk to our future leaders. After questioning them, he comes over to me and wants to know why I stopped. I explain to him what I saw happen. His comment to me was "well, the guy did pull out in front of him."

Now pissed off more than I already was, I launched into how there likely would not have been an accident if the Chainsaw Crusaders had not been racing. The cop says there's nothing he can do because HE didn't see it happen.

What kind of BS is this???

1 - 19 of 19 Posts