V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Cajun Peauxseur
5,384 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know this is hard for anyone to believe, but my fuel gauge on my 1999 Ultra has gone goofy. It's bouncing all over the place.

Let me say that I don't depend on it like I do my odometer, but watching it bouce around is driving me crazy!!! Yes, I'm a bit anal :hystria:

OK, is there a test for the gauge and sending unit to determine which is the culprit other than replace and pray??? :confused:

Thanks,
BigD

·
Registered
89 Posts
I have the same problem with my 2001 EGC. But, I am confused as to how to find thread 3783.

·
Cajun Peauxseur
5,384 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

·
Cajun Peauxseur
5,384 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hey scarpenter - I did a whole bunch of searching through my service manual and found a process for checking the gauge and sending unit. Chapter 8. If you don't have a service manual, it would be a good investment to do so.

BigD

PS - I still don't know how to look up jkThread 3783???

·
Registered
89 Posts
Hey BigD - Yeah I have a manual and thanks for the info. No, I still don't know how to find the thread here.

·
Cajun Peauxseur
5,384 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
RKJohn,

How do you find thread 3783? I have the same fuel gauge problem on my 97 and would like to fix it.
Hey John,

The proceedure for checking gauge vs. sending unit is in Chapter 8 of the service manual under "gauges". Very simple process to follow.

·
Registered
1 Posts
2010 flhtcu the gas gauge needle shows full all the time it was working for about a month after I bought it..........but now needle is in fuul mode

I did remove tank and all the components back in properly and ran great for a while

any ideas how to trouble shoot this

·
Cajun Peauxseur
5,384 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yea, don't mean to be evasive, but Alan S is right. Sounds like your float sticks and there could be a "rough" spot on the mechanism?

·
Registered
15,641 Posts
Yea, don't mean to be evasive, but Alan S is right. Sounds like your float sticks and there could be a "rough" spot on the mechanism?
I had to be vague because I have no idea what the resistance on his float would be. That's where the manual comes into play.

·
Cajun Peauxseur
5,384 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

·
Registered
8,360 Posts
I know fxr's and baggers have different impotence specs, possibly the softail and dyno's do as well, probably something to do either the number of wraps the conductor makes around the board...manual.is your friend
.. a rough spot or damaged wire will.make it stick...

·
Registered
149 Posts
Pull the sending unit out of the tank and attach it to an Ohm meter. When you move the variable resistor there should be a smooth change in resistance with no jumps. Examine the wiper and the sending unit wiring for damage. If all is well check the bike harness wiring. You can substitute the sending unit with a variable resistor to check the gauge. Most wiring problems occur at connection points.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Mine right now is sitting on 3/4 of a tank and I have gone over 150 miles, so I know that isn't right. On a trip right now, so I don't have access to my manual or an ohm meter. For those who actually provided some assistance here, thanks, for those keyboard warriors that always just tell you to get a service manual, maybe where I'm at doesn't allow me to carry it. Remember, you may be on the road someday and when someone tells you to get a manual, be kind and just offer assistance.

·
Make me use my bullet?
12,663 Posts
Mine right now is sitting on 3/4 of a tank and I have gone over 150 miles, so I know that isn't right. On a trip right now, so I don't have access to my manual or an ohm meter. For those who actually provided some assistance here, thanks, for those keyboard warriors that always just tell you to get a service manual, maybe where I'm at doesn't allow me to carry it. Remember, you may be on the road someday and when someone tells you to get a manual, be kind and just offer assistance.
The guy who started recommending to get a manual was the same guy who started the thread to begin with.

I'm curious which post in this thread offered you assistance in your current situation. Unless you plan to pull the tank and wiring, get your hands on a meter, and obtain the specs you would be testing for without having a manual, then what do you plan to do while on a trip other than take it to a dealer?

Here's my assistance. Hopefully you know how many miles you get from a tank and have a functioning trip odometer. Deal with the gauge when you get back home and are in a better mood.

·
Super Moderator
19,404 Posts
The sender is just a rheostat. It has a minimum ohm value and and a maximum ohm value. And should have a smooth sweep high to low. You can take the wire from the gauge off the sender and ground it to see if the gauge is functional. The gauge should sweep pin to pin between open and ground on that wire. If the resistance grid in the sender is broken the gauge will behave as if the wire is disconnected. If the grid has bad spots or is worn out, or there is a bad connection in the circuit, the gauge will erratic.

Harley senders can also have heavy floats, which under read the fuel level. And for some reason, they have a tendency to bind up.

Got an old Harley with a fuel sender issue? Good luck with it, prior to the early 2000's the senders were not resistant to corn juice in the fuel.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts