V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
290 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Troops,

Just want to share my experience getting my bike Dyno Tuned. Hdmd88 put me on to Zepka HD in Johnstown PA. For $50 they agreed to pickup my bike and drop it back off a week later. (100+ miles each way)
My bike is a 04 fuel injected Low Rider. I have the millennium 98 kit and head porting from GMR performance, Andrews G-37 cams, and V & H Short shots.
I've had my bike on several Dyno machines before, but no one knew how to use the HD Race Tuner. On those runs my results were very disappointing. Above 3000 rpm the torque went south and the hp flattened out. Max hp was only 55. When Zepka HD got my bike, the wrench Brian Beckley called and said it was my exhaust that was killing my performance. We talked back and forth several times before settling on a stock system with SE slip-ons. (He is well versed on which pipes work and which ones don't) Brian spent a lot of hours tuning and even called one night at 5:00 and said he was done for the day, but would have it finished early the next day. I've never had a wrench do that before. When he was done I had 91.5hp, and 108 fpt.
That was outstanding. He did a super job tuning. After riding the bike, I could tell he spent a lot of time re-working the entire map. The bike felt good throughout the entire rpm band, not just full throttle.
I cannot say enough good things about Zepka HD and Brian. So, if anyone were planning a cruise anywhere close to Johnstown, it would be worth stopping in there for a terrific tune.

Many thanks to: Hdmd88, Hdwrench, and Brian at Zepka HD

·
Premium Member
946 Posts
When Zepka HD got my bike, the wrench Brian Beckley called and said it was my exhaust that was killing my performance. We talked back and forth several times before settling on a stock system with SE slip-ons. (He is well versed on which pipes work and which ones don't)

Wonder if it has anything to do with Doc being his teacher:hmmm:

·
Banned
48 Posts
Stashu11 said:
Hey Troops,

Just want to share my experience getting my bike Dyno Tuned. Hdmd88 put me on to Zepka HD in Johnstown PA. For $50 they agreed to pickup my bike and drop it back off a week later. (100+ miles each way)
My bike is a 04 fuel injected Low Rider. I have the millennium 98 kit and head porting from GMR performance, Andrews G-37 cams, and V & H Short shots.
I've had my bike on several Dyno machines before, but no one knew how to use the HD Race Tuner. On those runs my results were very disappointing. Above 3000 rpm the torque went south and the hp flattened out. Max hp was only 55. When Zepka HD got my bike, the wrench Brian Beckley called and said it was my exhaust that was killing my performance. We talked back and forth several times before settling on a stock system with SE slip-ons. (He is well versed on which pipes work and which ones don't) Brian spent a lot of hours tuning and even called one night at 5:00 and said he was done for the day, but would have it finished early the next day. I've never had a wrench do that before. When he was done I had 91.5hp, and 108 fpt.
That was outstanding. He did a super job tuning. After riding the bike, I could tell he spent a lot of time re-working the entire map. The bike felt good throughout the entire rpm band, not just full throttle.
I cannot say enough good things about Zepka HD and Brian. So, if anyone were planning a cruise anywhere close to Johnstown, it would be worth stopping in there for a terrific tune.

Many thanks to: Hdmd88, Hdwrench, and Brian at Zepka HD
Do you know if he attended Race Tuner school at Harley? I hear that the guy up at the factory teaching it is awesome.

·
Premium Member
290 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Hi again,

What I think makes Brian such a good tuner is not only his schooling, but 3 years of field experience. Some things a person can not learn in a book.
I couldn't believe my dyno sheet either (posted in "Post your Dyno sheets here" thread). What impressed me so much was my build is pretty mild. No stroking, wild cams, or high compression.

Have a good one,

Stan

·
Premium Member
591 Posts
hdmd88 said:
Actully Brian and I worked together for three years at Zepkas, after I left there and came to Florida Brian stepped up and he's got it going on his own now. I did however school him on the PowerCommander.

OK Doc,

Do you have any tuners that you would recommend in Jersey? I have yet to hear about anybody nearby. This is such a crowded state, with a ton of bikers, that you'd think there would be a few good tuners out there. Thanks in advance.

·
Premium Member
5,217 Posts
It's funny, but my bike has had numerous different exhaust on it over the years but it always seemed to run it best and strongest with the factory head pipes and a set of Cycle Shack turn out mufflers. Went back to them and never looked back! No Dyno results, just my unification between me and my machine. The feel!:whatever:

·
Premium Member
591 Posts
hdmd88 said:
Sorry Lunker I don't know anyone there....how far is GRock from you?
Unfortunately no place in Connecticut is that close. Best case scenario is 1 1/2 hours. I guess that's not that bad when you consider how far some people travel for tuning.

·
Premium octane member
7,381 Posts
GRock, where are you located in Ct? I may be doing my build this winter and will need a good tuner for it. Also as i am located very close to Ct I can recommend him. I have used a good tuner before but one of the best will be better.

·
Premium Member
710 Posts
hdmd88 said:
Sorry Lunker I don't know anyone there....how far is GRock from you?

Doc, didn't realize you were a Pennsylvanian at one time. Are you familiar with any good tuners in the SE PA area near Phila.?

·
Premium Member
710 Posts
hdmd88 said:
No not right of hand...although I might be moving to Exton in the near future.

Doc, that would be great news to have someone with your experience & knowledge close by, I live 10 minutes from Exton in West Chester. Please keep me informed of your move if it happens. I'm assuming you'll still be working on bikes, if so I'll be glad to be one your first customers.

·
Premium Member
710 Posts
hdmd88 said:
No not right of hand...although I might be moving to Exton in the near future.[/QUO

Is UTI going to start a MMI School at their Exton location?

·
Registered
218 Posts
Exton? Don't do it! You'll hate it. I lived there 8 years. Of course I hate SWFLA too. For a tuner in Eastern Pa see Doug at Heavy Duty Cycles in Pottstown. He tuned my old softail back when his shop was a two car garage. Now I hear he has a machine shop and everything. Oh ya Doc, I been meaning to call ya about my FLH. Been getting out early and home late. Don't give up on me. MSC

·
Premium Member
710 Posts
Exton wouldn't be my first, second or even third choices to live in Chester County, PA - certainly not a bad place, but IMO there are many other places near Exton I would to live. West Chester, Chester Springs, Malvern - all great spots to live - and I have. This area also offers some great riding destinations, but for only 9 months of the year.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts