V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My wife and I are considering moving to
either Kentucky or Tennessee. We are getting really tired of the taxes and liberal
crap that you have to put up with here in
California.
Was wondering how the riding is in these two
states and the riding weather.
Besides, maybe I'll be able to put more goodies on my bike.
Thanks for any input. :cool:

·
EvilMonger
8,793 Posts
I am actually from Massachusetts but have ridden around Tennessee a couple of times and the mountains and riding was great. I am thinking of moving out of liberal Mass for some of the same reasons, I am also considering North and South Carolina, and Virginia. Good luck.

·
Ridge Rider
435 Posts
Can't speak for Kentucky but East Tennessee has some of the best riding in the Southeast. Blue Ridge Mountains, Smoky Mountains, North and South Carolina, Northeast Ga., Cherokee, Nantahala, Tellico, Chattahoochee, Chatooga, are all within a few hours..........I could go on and on.

The riding season varies but I was able to ride most weekends last winter. Highs mostly in the 50's.

·
Registered
6,413 Posts
First thing you've got to do is decide if you want to ride year around. Once you make that decision, then check out winter temp ranges. Pretty cold in both states sometimes. Northern Alabama or northern Mississippi are other alternatives. Job market is the wild card there.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Hey Alien! Let me know when, wife and I were down in Virginia last year looking at property. Will probably make the move next year if all goes well. I hate this fu(kin state.

·
EvilMonger
8,793 Posts
It has great history and some nice people, but the politics, winter, drivers, etc etc. I am doing union electrical work right now(good money and benefits)when that ends I'll be looking. Actually planning an extended ride while on unemployment looking for that new home.

·
Registered
8,786 Posts
eagleman said:
My wife and I are considering moving to
either Kentucky or Tennessee. We are getting really tired of the taxes and liberal
crap that you have to put up with here in
California.
Was wondering how the riding is in these two
states and the riding weather.
Besides, maybe I'll be able to put more goodies on my bike.
Thanks for any input. :cool:
Must be nice to consider the areas geography has greater priority than the possibility of a JOB!:D Good luck, Dennis

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for your replies. Two of the areas
that we are considering are Paris, Tennessee
and Hopkinsville, Kentucky.
I just retired a few months ago so that gives
us some leeway in our choices. :cool:

·
Registered
347 Posts
Hi Eagleman,

I'm originally from Clarksville, TN which is close to the two towns you're considering.

There is plenty of riding to be done in TN. It's a very geographically diversified state. West TN is pretty flat and east TN is more mountainous. East TN has lots of great places to ride and plenty of well-known twisties - Smoky Mountains and Deal's Gap. I live in middle TN and it has many places to ride as well. There's lots of back roads and the Natchez Trace also begins in Nashville and goes to Natchez, MS.

The riding weather is also pretty good and you can usually ride just about year round. We usually don't get any significant snowfall (usually only a couple of inches). The high temperatures during the winter are often 50 degrees or more. Last year we had a very mild winter and I got to ride at least one day almost every weekend.

Good luck with your moving decision.:)

·
Registered
3,672 Posts
East TN

When I retired from the Navy Aug 2001 I knew I wanted to live in East TN or West NC or SC. That is whereI sent all my resume's. I had many interviews in these states. I landed a great job in Athens TN, half way between Chatanogga and Knoxville. If you have maintenance or other skills this area has lots of job opertunities.

I love it here. As stated earlier so many great rides here. Smokey's and the area are made for bikes. Winter is mild. Cost of living is reasonable. People are nice and friendly.

·
Registered
543 Posts
Great roads in Tennessee. But the laws suck. Kentucky has more freedom and also has nice roads.

·
Registered
684 Posts
The wife and I made a similar move 12 years ago. We had moved from the St. Louis area to a little town called Shelbyville (between Louisville and Frankfort). That was quite a culture shock for us. We liked it at first, but couldn't jump on the next transfer fast enough. We've been in Georgia for almost 7 years now and love it. Most likely will stay here after retirement. Oh, my vote goes to Ky for better of the two (Ky/Tn) riding roads.

·
Registered
1,891 Posts
Straydog said:
The wife and I made a similar move 12 years ago. We had moved from the St. Louis area to a little town called Shelbyville (between Louisville and Frankfort). That was quite a culture shock for us. We liked it at first, but couldn't jump on the next transfer fast enough...Oh, my vote goes to Ky for better of the two (Ky/Tn) riding roads.
Starydog, Shelbyville is a major metropolis compared to the tiny dot I live in. Ever heard of Bedford,Kentucky ? We've only got one red light and one caution light ! Sorta like Mayberry :D
Things definitely move at a slower pace ! Lots of great riding here in our state, although not exactly year round.

Originally posted by Harley Hottie...
It's very pretty but I do a LOT of enviromental work up in that area...don't drink the water !!!

????? Whats' up with the water Hottie ??

·
Registered
254 Posts
Must be nice to consider the areas geography has greater priority than the possibility of a JOB!
Dennis I work out of the house and I cover the east coast sooooo I can live anywhere on the east coast that has a phone line.
Also Apple Pie run this Sunday up into VT let me know if your up for it, it'll mean putting a couple hundred miles on that shiney new Deuce.

·
Registered
686 Posts
A friend moved to Memphis last year and he can't stand the hot weather so he is moving back to Wi in spring , also had his car stolen the first week he was there. I think the liberals are everywhere a lot of people call Madison little Moscow. ride safe rickpoco

·
Registered
8,786 Posts
Rocko said:

Dennis I work out of the house and I cover the east coast sooooo I can live anywhere on the east coast that has a phone line.
Also Apple Pie run this Sunday up into VT let me know if your up for it, it'll mean putting a couple hundred miles on that shiney new Deuce.
I'll have to check with my secretary on this weekends agenda. Can't think of any events planned, I think I may take you up on it. :D

·
Registered
8,786 Posts
Rocko said:
Sounds good, we'll meet at the club house @ 10am. E-mail me if you need directions.
Don't have to go through no 'nitiation things, do I ? Blahahhahahaha.

Ja ever notice Jimmy must be riding more lately due to the lack of posts?

1 - 20 of 27 Posts