V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Bought an '03 Rd Glide a couple of months ago and had it delivered with the BB and an oil cooler. Normal running temperature is 205 to 210 and got as high as 236 going through the desert. A guy with a SE Rd Glide BB told me he runs 180 normally.

I am using that digital guage in the oil tank to check the temp. Any body have any thoughts?

·
Registered
276 Posts
Hopefully someone smarter will answer but I belive the oil tank gauge isn't that accurate and low 200's is normal operating temp.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply. This oil cooler has the thermostat and this guy was telling me if they put it in backwards it never reads the temp to kick in the bypass.

Just wondering if anyone else had some experience around oil coolers and BB's.

·
Premium Member
255 Posts
If you want to check your thermometer, get a pan of water boiling on the stove. Put the bottom end of the dip stick in the boiling water. Water boils at 212 degrees F. at sea level (211 in Dallas). For every 500 ft above sea level the boiling point will drop 1 degree F.
My digital thermometer checked out correct at the high temp end, but it is not correct at low tempertures.

·
Registered
6,413 Posts
You can look under the bike and see the thermostat. It is marked on one side which is cooler and which is engine. Check it. You don't have any problems with those temps from what I've seen.

·
Registered
129 Posts
milagro , the temps you are running are fine , your thermostat will start to open at about 185 degrees , 236 going thru the desert is still within normal operating temperature so your oil cooler is doing its job well .
The guy who only runs 180 degrees under normal circumstances ( what are his normal circumstances ? )

·
Registered
206 Posts
milagro,

I have both the oil temp gauge in the fairing, and the digital temp gauge in the oil pan.

My experience is that they both read the EXACT same, after the temps have stablized (the analog gauge in the dash is slower in the increase, but reads the same after it lines out).

I also, do not think 236 degrees F in the desert is too high. I have an '02 bagger 88 ci with the cooler, and I have reached 235 in city driving. I do not run a thermostat -- don't want it.

If those temps bother you, consider a synthetic oil, which is more tolerable of high temps.

These kinda temps (to 235) are reported here a lot -- even higher.

I normally run 210 or so on the freeway, in hot weather.

The 236 you reached, was that while under way, or in stop and skid traffic?

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks to all for the replies. This is my first time on one of these forums and I appreciate the feedback.

·
Premium Member
71 Posts
A little late, but here's my .02. . .
Like chiselchst, I'm running a cooler, with synthetic, and use a digital temp gage which I think is pretty accurate.
In central Florida I have seen 225 in traffic often - interestingly, it seems to drop a few degrees while sitting at a light, so I check it immediately upon stopping to see the higher temps. (No, it's not FI - and dyno/exhaust analyzer shows good carburetion mixtures throughout the range)
I doubt that you have a problem - would expect the big bore to run a bit hotter.
While on the subject of oil coolers, I read once that the "bolt" on the side of the in-line oil cooler thermostat was loose on someone's bike - a mechanic had recommended checking them now and then.
Good rides,
RainRider '02 FLHT 88, stage 1

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
thanks Rainmaker. Right now i am on a cruise ship in the Adriatic on my way to Spain. Am renting a Harley in Malaga for a week and can't wait. I will check the bolt/screw on the thermostat when I get back!

·
Registered
240 Posts
More .02

I installed a Jagg offset filter adapter, Seitrab cooler and the harley thermostat (supplied to Harley by Jagg) on my 01 FLHT and upon the initial warm up after installation, had to tighten said bolt. The bolt has an O ring but will leak like a sieve if not tight. otherwise No worries! I hope you are having a great trip!

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
thanks fastlane, so far it is terrific. Hope the drivers in Spain are better than the ones in Italy! This is the first time to try this renting a Harley in a foreign country!

·
Registered
903 Posts
Also be careful of tightening the Jagg offset screws too much. I had one and stripped two of the screws and ended up throwing $130 down the drain. And the temperatures you have are fine. The guage may be wrong, the thermostat may be opening a little late or if it is warm out it will go above 180.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I would be interested to hear from folk who have the HD oil cooler on their TC baggers and oil temperature gauges whether they have compared oil temps with and without the fender trim in place.

Seems to me that the fender trim could cause the air flow to be obstructed ?

Perhaps one could cut louvres in the fender trim with a small Dremel wheel ?

·
Registered
903 Posts
What do you mean by "fender trim"? Are you talking about a spoiler or the standard equipment on the Ultra's?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts