V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Bowhntr
282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
While out Christmas shopping this weekend I stopped into HD of Frederick and the Springer Soft Tail really caught my eye. The Seating position felt good, and I love the 200 tire on the rear. Can anyone offer some advice on the springer front end (i.e., responsiveness, steering effort, general handling, maintenance etc), as opposed to a standard ST or Night Train?

I never really liked the springer front ends, but I haven't had a close up look at one in quite some time, and I think my view has changed.

Thank you all in advance for your replys as to why you chose a softtail. My next step in the process is to do some renting to try these out first hand.

-Screwtop

·
Bike Addict
84 Posts
Screwtop said:
While out Christmas shopping this weekend I stopped into HD of Frederick and the Springer Soft Tail really caught my eye. The Seating position felt good, and I love the 200 tire on the rear. Can anyone offer some advice on the springer front end (i.e., responsiveness, steering effort, general handling, maintenance etc), as opposed to a standard ST or Night Train?

I never really liked the springer front ends, but I haven't had a close up look at one in quite some time, and I think my view has changed.

Thank you all in advance for your replys as to why you chose a softtail. My next step in the process is to do some renting to try these out first hand.

-Screwtop
IMO I love them. They have a great responsiveness to your input and now days are close to the same handling as a standard front end. The best way to find out is to test ride one at your local Harley dealer. :cool:

·
Registered
1,799 Posts
That particular dealer does offer test rides. Don't know if its a year round thing or not.
I test rode a VRod at that dealer last summer.
Check with them and see if you can take a springer model out for a ride.

·
Registered
128 Posts
The springer is suprisingly a very good handling bike for it's design. Does have its quirks, limited front wheel travel, the springs resonate at certain rpms and requires more maintenance than the typical telescoping forks.
Mine will be 16 years old next month.

MikeyB

·
EASY DOES IT
8,914 Posts
MikeyB said:
The springer is suprisingly a very good handling bike for it's design. Does have its quirks, limited front wheel travel, the springs resonate at certain rpms and requires more maintenance than the typical telescoping forks.
Mine will be 16 years old next month.

MikeyB
I'm very pleased with the handling 24k + in less than 20 months...travel is more than adequate, never bottomed out even two up, spring damping resolves the "hum", corner washout and rut harmonics experienced by those of us riding springers for many years. Keep grease in the bearing and you'll get long service.

·
Premium Member
284 Posts
My current bike is my first Springer. I really love this bike. It handles like a dream. Plus, I really like the retro look that goes along with the Springer. From a traditionalist view, it's a great way to go.

The wrenches at the dealerships will tell you there you need to make sure regular checkups are done on the front end to make sure they are in good shape.

Try one out. You'll be surprised at how well it performs.

Merry Christmas

Ray

2005 FLSTSCI Softail Springer Classic
SE Exhaust
SE Intake/DL

See pix of my ride at...

http://beta.propichosting.com/Album.aspx?folder=450007794

·
Registered
128 Posts
swmnkdinthervr said:
I'm very pleased with the handling 24k + in less than 20 months...travel is more than adequate, never bottomed out even two up, spring damping resolves the "hum", corner washout and rut harmonics experienced by those of us riding springers for many years. Keep grease in the bearing and you'll get long service.
I figure HD updated the Springer over the years to solve some of the early issues.
Mine had the dirt bike fender setup until I installed the Kuryakyn fender lowering kit.

MikeyB

·
Bowhntr
282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
hoosierhog88 said:
My current bike is my first Springer. I really love this bike. It handles like a dream. Plus, I really like the retro look that goes along with the Springer. From a traditionalist view, it's a great way to go.

The wrenches at the dealerships will tell you there you need to make sure regular checkups are done on the front end to make sure they are in good shape.

Try one out. You'll be surprised at how well it performs.

Merry Christmas

Ray

2005 FLSTSCI Softail Springer Classic
SE Exhaust
SE Intake/DL

See pix of my ride at...

http://beta.propichosting.com/Album.aspx?folder=450007794
Thank you, Ray and you have a beautiful bike. I'm still considering a springer, and have pretty much made my mind up on a softail anyway.

Merry Christmas to you too.

Screwtop

1 - 10 of 10 Posts