V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hippo, I am just curious as to why H/D does not sale a teflon treated oil. I have read some posts with your comments concerning synthetic oil but I believe in a regular serviced oil change so I am not sure that synthetic oils are worth the money if you are going to drain them at regular service intervals. However, I have used teflon treated lubicants in other applications and have attained long engine lifes. Why aren't teflon treated lubricants available? Are they a bad idea for HAWGS? Or is it because it is considered the best approach is to do a rebuild at 100,000; or just perhaps that most riders end up with major engine mods before the engine can reach its end of service life?

·
Registered
2,300 Posts
Because they are junk. Read of all the suits the government has brought against the oil and additive manufacturers that use PTFE. They all settled out of court.

PTFE is made by Dupont and they specifically advise NOT to use it as an oil additive.

Harley actually negotiated with Mobil to supply them with synthetic oil. Mobil pulled out of the deal because Harley wanted to label it as HD oil without making mention of Mobil on the packaging.

I'm sort of tired of arguing the point. Bottom line, nothing is better at this time then a ester/diester based oil like BelRay or RedLine, but it is expensive.

Mobil1 15W50 costs basically the same as HD oil and while not as good as the ester/diester based oils, it is far superior to HD oil.

·
Registered
2,300 Posts
It's very likely good oil. Just never looked into it because I have a philosophical problem with their snake oil like distribution structure that closely resembles a piramyd scheme.

·
Registered
104 Posts
PTFE? I must totally with Hippo on this stuff, it is amazing that more engines have not been trashed in using these products. They do sound great, but when "Nutz and Bolts" magazine delved into the subject a few years ago and showed the potential problems (and actual tear down) I returned the stuff I bought back to the store unopened. Just adding it during the wrong ambient temperature can block the oil passages at the filter and starve lubrication. Also, the touted Teflon cannot adhere to metal surfaces at the camparitively low engine temperatures encountered internally.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yeh, Maybe a good thing I asked about PTFE. I did find a listing on the internet that covered the Federal Trade Commission suit against SLICK 50 and its undocumented claims. The FTC doesn't say that PTFE is bad but just that the claims of 50k miles protection , ability to bond to metal surfaces, and reduce engine wear at start ups is unfounded. The FTC goes on to say that the best protection against engine wear is to follow manufactures suggested oil change schedules and recommended oils. In any case it appears that PTFE oil additives have past their prime and I am glad I asked the question. Thanks to all!:cool:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts