V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Just a kid at heart
Joined
·
597 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, I could use your thoughts before I have to deal with this issue.

At about 2500 miles my 05 Roadglide started running rough at just off throttle. You could hear the engine missing. The mechanic rode the bike and agreed, he thought it wasn't getting enough fuel. At this point I had SE breather, SE pipes and the Stage one download.

In order to rectify the situation they talked me into a Teclusion unit (same idea as the Race Fueler) They swapped out the plugs which were fouled somewhat. Everything was running pretty well until about 9000 miles and it started to act up again. I was running three flags and thebike started backfiring badly and would only run well if I had the grip twisted hard, which was most of the way :D

When I took the bike in they pulled the plugs which were fouled pretty badly and they suspected leaking valve seals. They put in new plugs and run it another month and they would tear it down this winter. After 1000 miles I could feel the plugs were fouled again. No suprise they had to replace the valve seals.

While it was apart I had them bore the cylinders (95"), port & polish the heads, new pistons, valve springs, Woods TW-6HG gear drive cams, and put on the S&S ovals I got for Christmas. I have the bike and am breaking it in. They plan to Dyno tune it after its broke in.

I plan to install the SERT later this spring or early summer. My question is: Should I keep the Teclusion unit on there or is it totally redundant with the SERT? If it is redundant, I plan to get a deal from them on the SERT as I spent about $500 on the Teclusion when valve seals were really the problem.

Any thoughts, and thanks for your time.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
127 Posts
The SERT actually remaps the ECM and performs more functions than the Techlusion, which does not remap. There is no reason you need to keep the Techlusion. The SERT in the hands of a proper tuner will give you better results throughout your throttle position, load, speed, rpm's etc.
 

·
Hellbound Train
Joined
·
5,595 Posts
If they charged you $500 for the Techlusion, what are they charging for the SERT. And do they know how to tune a SERT
 

·
Just a kid at heart
Joined
·
597 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
csoday said:
If they charged you $500 for the Techlusion, what are they charging for the SERT. And do they know how to tune a SERT
That was installed, those things are a little more expensive here in Canada than you pay in the US. The SERT is about $900. They have a couple of pretty good tuners, and talking to the service manager they were getting some training on the SERT this month.
 

·
Sub Par Member
Joined
·
769 Posts
$900.00 CDN for a SERT still seems way high. That's about $782.00 US. Do they charge some kind of import tax? I'd check those prices and see if that includes tuning.

And to answer your question, the Techclusion is not needed if you're going with the SERT.
 

·
Just a kid at heart
Joined
·
597 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
That price ($500) was for the unit, installation (including plugs) and an hour on the dyno. The SERT I believe is around $500 plus installation plus dyno time, so they estimated $900.

I will be talking to them about the teclusion because as stated above, it had nothing to do with the problem.

I don't think they were trying to avoid replacing the valve seals early on, rather it was just not the best diagnostics. I specifically asked them what it was fixing. It ran well for the first few thousand miles, then started running poorly. Something had to have changed in my mind.

I will be asking for a discount on the work as I spent $500 for nothing.

Thanks
 

·
Hellbound Train
Joined
·
5,595 Posts
$900 CD ain't too bad if it includes a couple of hours of Dyno tuning. I'll see if I can find my SERT manual download and try to email it to you. Too many computers, too far away.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9,150 Posts
You have mentioned installation of the SERT a couple of times. There is no installation on the SERT. It is merely an interface with a security key (a cable). So the installation portion you are talking about should be limited to the plugs only plus time on the dyno.

My dealer changed the oil and filter after the dyno... so figure that in.
 

·
Just a kid at heart
Joined
·
597 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
8-Ball said:
You have mentioned installation of the SERT a couple of times. There is no installation on the SERT. It is merely an interface with a security key (a cable). So the installation portion you are talking about should be limited to the plugs only plus time on the dyno.

My dealer changed the oil and filter after the dyno... so figure that in.
Thanks for the clarification, I thought there was a box. :duh?:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
64 Posts
My guess would be that you are dealing with Kanes. They seem to push the DFO pretty hard. Calgary HD has guys trained on the SERT as well as PC III
They can also do a direct link PC III dyno tune for you. Nothing against SERT but seems like there is more tuning talent around Calgary for PC III. Your choice.
BTW rumour has it that one of the guys at Kanes has a distribution deal
with Techlusion and gets a cut on all Alberta sales.
 

·
Just a kid at heart
Joined
·
597 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
csoday said:
$900 CD ain't too bad if it includes a couple of hours of Dyno tuning. I'll see if I can find my SERT manual download and try to email it to you. Too many computers, too far away.
That would be great, thanks
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
219 Posts
wydeglyde said:
That was installed, those things are a little more expensive here in Canada than you pay in the US. The SERT is about $900. They have a couple of pretty good tuners, and talking to the service manager they were getting some training on the SERT this month.
In Calgary, although Kanes sales and parts guys are "Tards", if you are going to get it Dyno'ed. See "Scratch" in service. He used to work for DYNO and has 100,000 runs under his belt. He got amazing numbers for my 95" Deuce build and saved me a load of cash on parts. I'm guessing though you have talked to him because he is a big Techlusion fan.
 

·
Just a kid at heart
Joined
·
597 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
fatboy69 said:
In Calgary, although Kanes sales and parts guys are "Tards", if you are going to get it Dyno'ed. See "Scratch" in service. He used to work for DYNO and has 100,000 runs under his belt. He got amazing numbers for my 95" Deuce build and saved me a load of cash on parts. I'm guessing though you have talked to him because he is a big Techlusion fan.
Thanks for the tip. What kind of numbers did you get?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9 Posts
Hey wyde I picked up sert on ebay for $275 (the easy part) but I've run in to trouble finding a tech willing or knowledgeable to work with it(up in E-town) I have talked to Scratch and while I haven't given up, he seems to push the DFO having been part of its development apparently. Still think the sert is the only way to go. Let me know if you hear any different from Scratch or another tuner down there.
3G's
 

·
Just a kid at heart
Joined
·
597 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
3G's said:
Hey wyde I picked up sert on ebay for $275 (the easy part) but I've run in to trouble finding a tech willing or knowledgeable to work with it(up in E-town) I have talked to Scratch and while I haven't given up, he seems to push the DFO having been part of its development apparently. Still think the sert is the only way to go. Let me know if you hear any different from Scratch or another tuner down there.
3G's
I can do that
 
1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Top