V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Premium Member
258 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm reading in the Dec. '05 issue of American Iron, an article about upgrading twin cam performance (by Donny Peterson). Everything seems to be standard garb except for one statement that has me wondering. In the article he states;

'The Screamin Eagle manifold for carbd version is better than stock but unimpressive. .... However, the SE manifold for the fuel injected model is well worth the investment.

I've looked Screamin Eagle line up and down. The only intake I see for EFI is the one for the HTCC heads. Am I missing something?

·
43 Fuel Curves
819 Posts
I haven't seen anything in the SE catalog you haven't. Maybe Donnie has inside track being a big shot.

If you get your head porter to match your manifold to the headwork, You get all you need, unless of course your are a Extra big bore guy, in which case the dual 50 from Gerolomy is highly rated by GRock.

·
Hellbound Train
5,595 Posts
He's probably talking about the EFI manifold for The HTCC heads. They match the D shaped intake port on the heads. It will probably take him two pages to describe what I just said in that last sentence.

·
Premium Member
3,289 Posts
csoday said:
He's probably talking about the EFI manifold for The HTCC heads. They match the D shaped intake port on the heads. It will probably take him two pages to describe what I just said in that last sentence.
Donny is probably a lawyer, paid by the line.......

·
Iron-Butt Hardcore
212 Posts
michael101 said:
I've looked Screamin Eagle line up and down. The only intake I see for EFI is the one for the HTCC heads. Am I missing something?
The SE performance parts catalog list two replacement intake manifolds for Twin Cams. They are listed as induction modules--throttle body and intake manifold assemblies including TPS, IAC, MAP, IAT, and injectors:

27623-05--50mm Throttle body/intake manifold which fits '05 later Twin Cams with Pro-Ported HTCC heads or 103+ heads. Not sure what would prohibit use of this on pre-2005 motors.

27615-00--43mm dual-butterfly throttle body for use with SE Performance Heads. This is for 99-01 touring models--Magneti Marelli injection.

There is also a 43mm module for EVOs--PN 27941-00

Doesn't seem to be a module/manifold for standard heads.

-Fat

·
Premium Member
35 Posts
Speaking of Donny Peterson...

Has anyone here had their head work done by Donny Petersen at Heavy Duty Cycles? He seems pretty adamant that making big-bore mods before addressing the restrictive heads on a twin cam is a waste of time.

I know this topic can be a source for endless debate, but since Donny is so hard core about modifying the stock heads with larger valves and a quality port job, I'm just wondering if anyone here has used his shop for these mods?

And if so...what are your impressions?

TIA.

Tipsy

·
Recon
839 Posts
TipsyMcStagger said:
Has anyone here had their head work done by Donny Petersen at Heavy Duty Cycles? He seems pretty adamant that making big-bore mods before addressing the restrictive heads on a twin cam is a waste of time.

I know this topic can be a source for endless debate, but since Donny is so hard core about modifying the stock heads with larger valves and a quality port job, I'm just wondering if anyone here has used his shop for these mods?

And if so...what are your impressions?

TIA.

Tipsy
I have my stock heads bolted to my 98 cyl. and get 94 hp 99.9 tq....

·
Registered
3,992 Posts
Ralston said:
I have my stock heads bolted to my 98 cyl. and get 94 hp 99.9 tq....
Get your stock heads opened up and you'll join the century club.;)

·
Registered
1,460 Posts
Also look at a bigger T/Body and get into the teens..........merry xmas....Ozzie

·
OBSESSED
1,070 Posts
Also in a mag this summer there was an article about building a motor for torque. They used this manifold with heads modified by Larry Hardy. They stated that the step in the D-port of they manifold caused a reversionary (?) effect that made the power come on early. I think it was Iron Works mag. I think they got great #'s but didn't show dyno sheet. Maybe somebody could explain what they are talking about?

Dave

OF ALL THE THINGS I'VE LOST I MISS MY MIND THE MOST!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
561 Posts
sent him an email

I had the same question on the intake manifold. All I see is a manifold for carb. bikes and a full induction system for EFI.

So... I sent an email to his website asking for info and maybe a part number.

If I receive a reply, I'll be sure to post it here.

·
Registered
561 Posts
My times worth money too, so I charged him a $100. to receive my email. :roflback:

Maybe the manifold can be ordered separately from the whole induction/throttlebody kit?

I'm about to start my build next week and would like to use this manifold if it exists.

As an aside, I spoke with Dewey recently, he said even if I didn't increase valve size to use Manley Racemaster valves- he said they had a much better shape and construction. If the heads'll be off anyway...:xhere:

·
OBSESSED
1,070 Posts
Sorry so Long to reply. The manifold is in the 04' book listed as HTCC EFI
INTAKE MANIFOLD. Part #29608-02. It has a D shape to match the HTCC
heads.

Dave

·
Registered
561 Posts
....so it still can't be used with standard heads?

·
OBSESSED
1,070 Posts
In the article I talked about before they used it with the stock heads that were modified. The work was done by Larry Hardy at Performance Techniques maybe you should contact him. If I get a chance I'll try too.

Dave

·
Premium Member
1,298 Posts
DRG said:
Also in a mag this summer there was an article about building a motor for torque. They used this manifold with heads modified by Larry Hardy. They stated that the step in the D-port of they manifold caused a reversionary (?) effect that made the power come on early. I think it was Iron Works mag. I think they got great #'s but didn't show dyno sheet. Maybe somebody could explain what they are talking about?

Dave

OF ALL THE THINGS I'VE LOST I MISS MY MIND THE MOST!!!!!!!!!
I put the S.E. manifold in when I did my build last year. And the mag article you're reffering to was the reason why. I can't remember for sure but I thought it was in American Iron? Anway, they explaind the purpose of the D-port ledge and how it helped with reversion. My build was similar to theirs so I thought... what the hell will it hurt. I had asked everyone here about it and no one really had any opinions about it. Don't know if it helps or hurts but it makes a lot of power fast (103 ft.lbs. of TQ at 3500 rpm).

Just my ¢.02.....

·
Registered
3,309 Posts
ViennaHog said:
Donny is probably a lawyer, paid by the line.......
hahahhaaha..too bad he ain't here to laugh at that one...(he's high up there with the 81 in toronto)

ps i have been to his shop dozens of times..and no i have not had any work done there..(he does get a big buck for service)

1 - 20 of 45 Posts