V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Ridge Rider
435 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
O.K. I'm finding out fast what the Harley Tax is. I originally put on the SEII Slip On Mufflers, SE Air Cleaner and Re-jetted the Carb. I wasn't really satisfied with the mufflers (Apparently a common situation) so I replaced them with the Cycle Shack Slip Ons. What a difference. Much louder but not too loud. I seem to feel a little less torque now but I've been riding two up mostly since I put them on so it may not be any different. I have just passed 4200 miles and have noticed two things that I need some advice on. On the top front of the Primary cover I am getting a little oil seepage. Not enough to drip but I have to wipe it off after each ride. Also I am hearing a 'squeaking' or 'squealing' when hot at idle. It seems to be coming from the front right of the engine. It seems to be around what I think is called the point cover. Sounds like a rubber band slipping on a pulley. It is running fine and I don't really hear it at speed. Will re-torqueing the Primary fix the leak and does anybody know what the 'noise' could be? I have to take it back for the 5000 mile maint. soon but I'm planning a 3 day ride this weekend and don't want to chance a breakdown.

·
Traveling Man
1,272 Posts
Dawg, I don't think you have any problems that would lead to a breakdown on a short trip. The primary cover seepage is hard to stop. Mine seeped very slightly and was unable to stop it. I waited untill I replaced the chain adjuster with a automatic tensioner to replace the gasket. No seepage yet. You may try torqueing the primary cover screws to 120 in-pounds in the proper sequence as per manual to see if you can stop it though. It's best to periodically retorque them from time to time before you see seepage. There are firm believers in sealing the new gasket before use to help keep it from wicking oil but i've never done it.

I'm not sure about the noise...could be just the cam chain noise you are hearing or it could be a sound radiating from somewhere else. If you have your primary chain too tight it can make a slight sqeeking across the shoe but that's easy to check. It's hard to guess at noises without hearing them myself. Maybe someone else has some ideas.

Later,

·
Ridge Rider
435 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks FG. After I posted I read on another forum about re-torqueing the primary. Seems that sometines it works sometimes not. It's not really that bad but when it's in for the 5K I'll ask. Maybe they'll put a new seal under warranty. This will be the last service by the stealer since the warranty will be up in September. The noise is really strange and I didn't really hear it until I put on the Cycle Shacks. Weird, the pipes are louder but now I hear the sound. It's definitely not the pipes. I think I'll pull the 'point' cover just to see if it's something loose in there.

·
Ridge Rider
435 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well Duh

I really feel dumb now after my post about the 'point' cover. I looked at the Service manual and realized that it is the Cam Cover. Looks like the oil pump is under there also. The noise is definitely coming from that area but it only does it when it is hot at idle. I guess it's an income opportunity for the Dealer. Any ideas what it could be so that I don't sound stupid when I ask for it to be checked out under warranty? It's due for the 5K very shortly.

·
Registered
629 Posts
Are you 100% sure it is not from the exhaust? When something comes up on any of my vehicle, the first place I go is my most recent work.

As you ride, the pipes are going to really rise in temp and change shape.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts