V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Huge Member
1,286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
The manual says to refill with 26 oz. of oil and check to see the oil between the clutch and the primary case with the bike upright. I put 36 oz. in before I saw it reach the clutch.
Should I have just gone with the 26 oz.?
Sorry if this is a repeat, but all of the discussions I find on the subject are relative to Road Kings and they apparently hold 32 oz.

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
I'd go with 26 oz. My Dyna (I believe Dynas and Softails are the same) takes 26 oz and the manual cautions against overfilling; clutch drags, difficulty finding neutral, etc. Visual check on the Dyna is only that you can see the oil through the derby cover with the bike upright, not that it comes up to the clutch. I don't doubt what your Softail manual says, but I'd still go with the recommended 26 oz.

·
Banned
2,735 Posts
I have a diagram for my FXDWG and it shows a very specific level that the oil should come to....and it's not just that you can "see" the oil. I have always had to add a few more ounces than the book calls for to reach the proper level. Have always had smooth shifting and easy to find neutral.

I'll try to scan the illustration and plug it in here later.

Semper Fi,
Steve...Pensacola
USMC 1972 - 2003

·
Huge Member
1,286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Here's the picture and instructions from my manual. When I get to the point that I see the fluid touching the clutch, I am 12 oz. over the recommendation.

·
TL
500 Posts
Go with the 26

I tried to emulate that photo and it took a heck of a lot more than 26 ounces. Major clutch drag ensued. I think there is either a problem with the depiction or the bike should be on the sidestand as opposed to level (contrary to the text). Nonetheless, I go with 26 ounces and bike performs great.

·
Ironbutt
7,412 Posts
fourstar said:
Here's the picture and instructions from my manual. When I get to the point that I see the fluid touching the clutch, I am 12 oz. over the recommendation.
That photo is correct BUT the bike should be leaning on the stand. If you fill to that level with the bike upright when you lean it over your clutch plates will get soaked. I believe your manual is wrong.

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
Although the original question was about a Softail, this is the service manual page for an '03 Dyna. I have no reason to believe this part of a Softail and a Dyna is different. Obviously, the manuals ARE different.
See paragraph 5: The primary chaincase lubricant level is acceptable when lubricant is visible in the bottom of the chaincase with the motorcycle standing upright (not resting on jiffy stand).

·
The Anti-RUB
1,901 Posts
I have a softail as well and it calls for 26 oz. From reading past posts, you shouldn't fallow the pic. Fill to the recommended amount, and be done with it. I did with mine and have had no problems. Personally I think HD should fix the pic. Probably cause alot of confusion.

If your still unsure, I'd contact your local dealer and ask them what they say... Go with the spec, or with the picture... Let us know...

·
Premium Member
1,389 Posts
Dump in a quart bottle of whatever and ride the thing. Next.

·
Registered
96 Posts
close

SYCLONE said:
Dump in a quart bottle of whatever and ride the thing. Next.
I dump a quart of hd primary fluid in my softail and have over 25k miles and no problems with clutch, shifting or finding neutral

1 - 12 of 12 Posts