V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a '02 FLHTCI. It is the rubber mounted TC88. A couple of friends just bought new soft tails with the TC88B (an '02 Heritage, and a FB).

Why did H-D go with the TC88B on the non-touring models (at least the soft tails), and use rubber mounts on the Touring models? The balanced motors seem so much smother... (I have to admit that the windshield on the Heritage reflects a lot of mechanical engine noise towards the rider, even with a Thunderheader. More than I would like...).

I am glad I have a non-balanced TC88. I like the characteristics and the way the TC88 feels, especially under power. Wouldn't like it any other way.

I have not riden my partners soft tails, but they both seem sooo tame while reving them up while stationary.

What was the thinking at H-D?

Glad to have a throbber...

Mitch

·
Traveling Man
1,272 Posts
The TC88's would not fit in the softail frames with the rubber mount with out extensive redesign. I guess it was cheaper to develope the balanced engine then to redesign their whole line of softails.

Also, for high speed highway cruising the rubber mounted engine is smoother at speeds over 70 MPH. There is a vibration on the balanced 88's that comes in about 70. Not anything that I couldn't live with but definately a characteristic that in a touring bike may be frowned on by some.

Later,

·
Registered
182 Posts
I have a deuce balanced, and have very little vibration at all. And at 70 on up it gets smoother. I am not being argumentative just stating a fact. bluedeuce4

·
Traveling Man
1,272 Posts
bluedeuce4 said:
I have a deuce balanced, and have very little vibration at all. And at 70 on up it gets smoother. I am not being argumentative just stating a fact. bluedeuce4

Thanks for the input bluedeuce. According to some of the test riders in American Iron the Deuce is one of the best all around cruisers on the market. I haven't had the opportunity to ride one but everyone that I talk to loves the ride. I think all of todays Harleys are a pleasure to ride compared to some of the past. They are refined about as much as I care to see them go. If they get any smoother I may have to build a rigid. LOL

Later,

1 - 5 of 5 Posts