V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
727 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need some input. I've got a 2000 Fatboy (sweeeeeeet), but it just developed an engine noise. Bike has under 12K miles and it sounds like somebody is inside with a hammer!!!!! Not all the time, but worse when hot. I thought it was coming from the primary so i changed oil- again -and checked chain adj. everything good. Sometimes it sounds like it is coming from the top end, and sometimes it sounds like it is coming from the bowels of the beast. Only mods are SE air cleaner,Dynojet kit in carb, and Sampson Streetsweeper pipes with torque cones added. I've heard of problems with cam brgs. but thought that was only for '99 Dyna models. Any input will be welcome. Thanx.

·
Registered
1,496 Posts
Did you mean sounds like a rod knock? What type of riding do you do? Do you tend to stay at low RPM's? Do you punch it alot at low RPM's? Next time its hot use a screwdriver tip to the case, heads, ect. & the handle at your ear to see if you can pinpont the nose.

·
Registered
2,300 Posts
The rear outer cam bearing was changed from the ball bearing to the roller bearing in mid december of 99, meaning that there are a lot of 00 bikes with the problem bearing.

There are also some instances starting to show up where even though the bikes have the rear roller bearing the front ball bearing has failed. As of now they are pretty rare, but they are out there.

It doesn't mean much unless you narrow down the source of the noise.

·
Registered
727 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Kags

'preciate the input. most of my riding is on the highway doing 80-90 mph.
I've had people tell me that the noise is coming from the lower end. I'm not sure. need to do more checking. Bike is out of warranty (of course),
but dealer is checking to see if there might be a chance for coverage. It also picked up what appears to be a scraping (?) noise that is engine speed sensitive. That noise started when the knocking started.

·
Registered
4,089 Posts
HIPPO said:
The rear outer cam bearing was changed from the ball bearing to the roller bearing in mid december of 99, meaning that there are a lot of 00 bikes with the problem bearing.

There are also some instances starting to show up where even though the bikes have the rear roller bearing the front ball bearing has failed. As of now they are pretty rare, but they are out there.
My Bike (2000FLHRCI) makes a slight rattle at 80/85mph, to me it sounds like it might have been coming from the cam chest, its coming from the right side very slight so far, disguising VT/CAM noises?

Tried asking ?'s in different places. I was worried that after i bought the bike and learned about the potential problems with cam bearings and the 'Date of Engine' Manufacture that I asked my local D,,, D ,, D.. :D
and gave them my 'Engine' #, My VIN # and my frame # thinking they would have better access (via their internal internet link) to get me the date as to which my 'Engine' was made, NOT the bike?

NO reply , So i wrote a letter to Milwaukee HQ asking them to verify the date of engine manfacture etc.

I got a letter from HD in West Juneau Ave instead of my local here in the UK!!! (Dealer done shite)

Telling me my engine was made on the 19 Jan 2000

Now to get back to the original ?,

I'm at square one!, Just WHAT bearings HAVE I got Back And Front???

Good rollers and Shite Balls?
or good rollers an shite balls :D

I've got the letter in black an white saying 'January 19, 2000' (engine/motor)

"Quote"
There are also some instances starting to show up where even though the bikes have the rear roller bearing the front ball bearing has failed. "

:confused: :confused: :confused:

confused AND worried specially bout code 42 an 56? :confused:

·
Registered
2,300 Posts
If the engine was manufactured on 01/19/00 you have the rear outer roller cam bearing. There have been no problems with this bearing.

All the TC's have the front outer ball cam bearing. Like I said there are known failures but they are rare and happen at much higher mileage then with the rear ball bearing. In addition I don't think that a partial failure of this bearing would set a cam sensor code as the signal is picked up from the rear cam gear.

You guys worry too much, these things make lots of agricultural noises, doesn't mean a thing. They are designed for low cost and unskilled or robotic assembly.
If you are going to tear the thing down for every little noise you waste a lot of time and find nothing, unless you are going to blueprint it from A to Z. Way too expensive for a street bike. Ride the sumbitch and if it blows up fix it.

This doesn't mean you should not find the cause of the code as these things sooner or later bite you in the a$$ and you already know you have a specific problem.

·
Registered
4,089 Posts
HIPPO said:

Ride the sumbitch and if it blows up fix it.
I intend to, The Bit(h as you 'call' it earns its money.

HIPPO said:
This doesn't mean you should not find the cause of the code as these things sooner or later bite you in the a$$ and you already know you have a specific problem. [/B]
Let ya know tomorrow afternoon, Finally got my hands on a new sensor! :D

1 - 7 of 7 Posts