V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anybody know the balance factor of a stock 2005 TC88B (Softail Standard)?

·
ovanay elinquentday
2,021 Posts
prs said:
Does anybody know the balance factor of a stock 2005 TC88B (Softail Standard)?

Interesting. I never thought much about this and one of the experts may chime in. I presume you are talking about pulling the balancers from an 88B and balancing the crank.

From what I've heard,
60% is used if both pistons with rings, pins, and clips weigh between 906 grams and 938 grams.

56% is used if both pistons with rings, pins, and clips weigh between 1021 grams and 1051 grams.

52% is used if both pistons with rings, pins, and clips weigh between 1136 grams and 1166 grams.

That said, a guy with real experience should really answer this.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the info. That's right. Pulling the balancers. I've been thinking about this for a while and it's a winter project this year. I got everything figured out except this. Here's the thing. It seems that the best balance factor is 60% and some web info states this as stock but it's not verified. If the stock setup is balanced at 60% then why would I have to balance it again? Do I dare say that it might not have been done properly at The Factory in the first place? If I don't have to balance them, I would save time and money because I don't think I can balance it properly in my garage. Especially, since I think the flywheels are pressed together. It's gotta work when I'm done or there's no point.

·
ovanay elinquentday
2,021 Posts
The 88B relies on the balance shafts, for balance. The crankshaft is not fully balanced itself.

As a rough number for late model Harley's, I've heard 60% used also. I don't recall the weight of an 88" piston set, but my 98" set weighs out at 1084 grams with pins and clips. Figuring the 88s are somewhat lighter, that should jive with the graduated numbers.

That said, you might want to talk to a shop like Darkhorse, that does this for a living. just a thought...

·
Registered
621 Posts
GPO03FatBoy said:
The 88B relies on the balance shafts, for balance. The crankshaft is not fully balanced itself.

As a rough number for late model Harley's, I've heard 60% used also. I don't recall the weight of an 88" piston set, but my 98" set weighs out at 1084 grams with pins and clips. Figuring the 88s are somewhat lighter, that should jive with the graduated numbers.

That said, you might want to talk to a shop like Darkhorse, that does this for a living. just a thought...
60% balance factor provides smooth idle and more vibration at high RPM (5800), the lower the balance factor, the more vibration at idle and smoother at higher RPM. It's all a matter of what you are after.

·
Premium Member
84 Posts
balancer removal

Pulled the balancers oout of an 05 springer for a frriend of mine this spring.Sent the crank and cases to Rev Performance and had the timkin changeover done,the crank straightened,welded and balanced at 60%.He loves it,and at 70MPH it is smoothe as glassHe has no regret at all.I am doing my 04 Fatboy the same way this winter. Good Luck
Tom

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I guess I'll pull the flywheel assembly and send it in to get balanced and trued. A 60% seems good for me too because I ride at about 70. Ticket City much past that and that's a good speed for those 12 hour rides with stops for only gas and coffee.

Thanks - Peter

·
Registered
43 Posts
fx98stroker said:
Pulled the balancers oout of an 05 springer for a frriend of mine this spring.Sent the crank and cases to Rev Performance and had the timkin changeover done,the crank straightened,welded and balanced at 60%.He loves it,and at 70MPH it is smoothe as glassHe has no regret at all.I am doing my 04 Fatboy the same way this winter. Good Luck
Tom
I have an 04 FatBoy and I'm considering doing the same thing. What does you friend say the vibration is like at 30mph? At 80mph? Thanks for any replies as they will make or break my decision to remove the balancers or not.

bms

·
Registered
621 Posts
badmotorscooter said:
I have an 04 FatBoy and I'm considering doing the same thing. What does you friend say the vibration is like at 30mph? At 80mph? Thanks for any replies as they will make or break my decision to remove the balancers or not.

bms
I almost removed mine, but T-Man talked me out of it since I ride a lot of miles. He said it would vibrate more without them. My crank was balanced at 54% and is super smooth through out all RPMs with the balancers.

Still, you have to wonder, if removed and you go with gear cams, you pretty much clear up any wear items and can rev higher.

Regards,
NC

·
Registered
751 Posts
fx98stroker said:
Tom
Darkhorse did the crank on my 05 GMR 98" motor, very smooth. Due to my 3:37 gears and 5 speed I'm turning in the neighborhood of +500 RPM @ 75 MPH compared to a friends 07 96" 6 speed. I was happily suprised to find mine had much less vibes than his did.

Rick

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I can't make up my mind either. Everyone I talked to locally discourages me and either won't or can't do the crank. It's that press-fit flywheel that causes the problem. I've talked to some fairly respected industry people as well as some local builders and the response is to leave it alone. If I want to do it, it means packing it up and shipping it far to get done. That could be thousands in the end and I have to wonder if it's worth it. I use it everyday and everyday I ponder the same questions. Is it that bad? Can I live with it? What would happen if I just pulled the balancers without balancing it? I can do that myself. Would it be like an old Evo then? Too many questions without having any beer to help the decision process. Speaking of beer. It's Friday and almost beer time.

·
ovanay elinquentday
2,021 Posts
prs said:
I can't make up my mind either. Everyone I talked to locally discourages me and either won't or can't do the crank. It's that press-fit flywheel that causes the problem. I've talked to some fairly respected industry people as well as some local builders and the response is to leave it alone. If I want to do it, it means packing it up and shipping it far to get done. That could be thousands in the end and I have to wonder if it's worth it. I use it everyday and everyday I ponder the same questions. Is it that bad? Can I live with it? What would happen if I just pulled the balancers without balancing it? I can do that myself. Would it be like an old Evo then? Too many questions without having any beer to help the decision process. Speaking of beer. It's Friday and almost beer time.
Canada is a big place - with great beer - but Wisconsin is not far away and there is a great shop there!

Is it worth it, well, that is another question...

1 - 13 of 13 Posts