V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Infidel
6,331 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey!

Can anyone explain any significant differences between TC88 and TC88b motors? I understand that "b" motors have been balanced to reduce vibration, but are there any other big issues that would influence a purchase decision?

TIA,

wyodude:p

·
Registered
684 Posts
Hey dude, from what I've heard, these motors were balanced because the softtail frame was not sized tall enough for the TC88 with rubber mounts to fit. The engine was balanced to smooth out some of the vibration that the rubber mounts would have absorbed.

Am I close on this one, Hippo?

·
Registered
128 Posts
TC88 Engines

The TC88B engines are internally configured w/ twin counter-balancing mechanisms.....
HD wanted to maintain the "nostalgiac" look on the Softails, so they opted NOT to rubber mount the engines.....this would have made the bike about 1" to 1 1/2" higher, so they had to incorporate the balancing mechanism on this larger motor to keep vibration to a minimum, AND to maintain a lower sitting position, thereby maintaining a better "nostalgiac" look.

The TC88 (not "B") engines are isolation mounted, so they do not need the internal counter-balancing mechanisms. These engines are the ones you see "rocking" back & forth at idle, whereas the 88 "B" engines do not rock.

I had a '00 FLSTC just before I got this '02 FLHT I have now....so I've ridden both styles of engines.....there was only a slight vibration from my FLSTC thru the floorboards......The only reason I really wanted to go to the touring class was the fact that I got a little nervous about "someday" the counter-balancing mechanism will fail & I'll have an expensive fix...that day may never have occured, but I was anxious to go to the touring class after a good friend of mine convinced me of the superior ride.

The only vibration you'll notice on the touring class (all have the TC88, isolation-mounted engine) is at dead idle....a noticable shake.....but after 2000 rpm, NO shake at all....just a kick-ass smooth ride....guaran-damn-teed to put a larger-than-life smile on your face!!

·
Registered
380 Posts
hippo's blown up motor

Hey guys who blew pu that tc88b engine? i see broken cyclinders and a pile of metal in every thing. so some body tell the story.

·
Registered
128 Posts
HIPPO said:
Stray, close

Meat, good doggie.
Just don't let it become a habit, a man has to eat. LOL
Hippo...Thanks for the compliment man....it means something coming from you!!.....I don't think you'll starve 'cuz I post something once in a while that actually makes sense.....I do it so seldom.....make sense that is!!!

·
Registered
171 Posts
Hey! That's what my buddies "B" motor looks like right now.(for the second time) My 88 in my Dyna does move around a bit at idle(kinda like it) but blasting down the highway the other day and noticed how smooth it really is. I think the "B" motors are as reliable but my buddy has a tendancy to hammer on his bike. Silly boy:)
Sheepboy

·
Registered
2,300 Posts
Well, in all fairness I don't believe the original failure was in the balancers in this case, even though they were taken out. They will however significantly add to the expense of the repair.

On the other hand it is a somewhat unusual failure of the pistons. I tend to believe that even if the balancers do not fail, they do introduce harmonic loads on other components somewhat limiting their range of operation.

Even the B engines are good engines, as long as you operate them within the parameters they were designed for. They just seem to match up better with conservative riders.

·
Registered
684 Posts
When I first looked at Hippo's pics, it didn't dawn on me that he was trying to illustrate a problem . . . I just thought he forgot to put his toys away! That just goes to show how much techi-stuff I know! :D

1 - 13 of 13 Posts