V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I currently have a 2002 FXDX w/ SE air cleaner and breather kit and SE II slip-ons. Instead of nickel and diming add ons, I wanted to save up and go for the whole deal. I want the most performance without giving up too much reliabilty.....I put on at least 10,000 miles per year. I was looking at the Twin Cam SE Stroker 103CI with CNC ported Heads-carbureted. Has anyone done this or know anything about the reliabilty factor? Would I have better reliabilty just going to 95CI? Any input is greatly appreciated....Thanks!

·
EvilMonger
8,793 Posts
Are you planning on doing the work to your engine or buying and swapping in the 103 ?? You have to split the cases to do a 103 and by the time you're done you might aproach what you can buy a 103 for outright, I have seen them advertised for $5400 dollars. On the other hand for under 2000 dollars you can get quite a 95 inch big bore done. Both can have great reliability. There are also the S&S alternatives for some real big motors if you really want power. What do you want, what can you afford ???

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm thinking I need to go the 95 inch Big Bore route for under $2k.....I'll be able to swing that this year. I can't approach the $5k mark anytime soon.....other prioroites. Thanks for the quick response.

·
EvilMonger
8,793 Posts
You can probably get the 103 done to your motor for much less than the cost of a whole motor but I like the idea of a swap out myself. You can get a 95 inch big bore done less than 2K there are lots of options. Look in the twin cam engine forum and you will find lots of info to help you decide, then you need to decide who ??

·
Premium Member
1,552 Posts
You'd most likely be satisfied with the 95" upgrade with head work, hot cams, ign. and carb. tuning mods. You'd be around the one HP/Lb. Ft. torque per Cu. In. AO.

As for under $2000, you'll need to shop around or do the work yourself. Horsepower mods run in the neighborhood of $100 per.

SS

·
Registered
758 Posts
Cubic inches are nice, but free flowing head work on that TC 88 or 95 will really wake it up and run hard and fast. The stock heads leave much to be desired and a competent wrench can recommend a performance head rework shop that can get that motor really turning. S & S makes some great heads also and they have performance packages designed and guaranteed to give you real HP/torque gains.

I'd vote for the 95 incher with head work, cams, ignition setup, carburetor, etc. for reliability and performance. The 103 H-D setup is new and time will tell if it is as reliable as the 95 ci. kit.

·
Registered
150 Posts
I have the 01 Roadglide 95in (Fltrsei)1550 it was good for a year. Now I understand that POWER is important. So, Im having the heads ported and polished,257 cams,high compression pistons, boring out the injection system (not the Delphi) and probably going to the thunderheader but not sure yet. I have the true duals now. Im told that it should be about 100tq and over 95hp. From what I have read the numbers depend on how good the dyno is done. Mechanic said that any more than this will cause reliability issues. I take long rides and do not want alot of problems.

·
Banned
999 Posts
RELIABILTY and STROKER don't go together.

BROKE and STROKED go together.

RELIABLE and STOCK go together.

so the farther you go from STOCK the farther you get from RELIABLE.

·
Premium Member
1,552 Posts
With a stroked crank throw, the piston must travel a further distance to achieve the same RPM as it's stock stroke counterpart. Therefore increased wear is thrown into the equation. Long stroke large bore engines do not like high RPMs. The larger reciprocating mass combined with the longer throw has the tendency to make the rods/pistons want to part company with the crank at excessively high RPMs. Remember the 409 and later 396 Chevy engines. Low end torque monsters, high RPM grenades!

The rule of thumb I usually refer to is anything in excess of one horsepower per cubic inch is incrementally compromising reliability.

SS

·
Just bad
698 Posts
SIDEKICK said:
RELIABILTY and STROKER don't go together.

BROKE and STROKED go together.

RELIABLE and STOCK go together.

so the farther you go from STOCK the farther you get from RELIABLE.
Not really. It has to do with the quality of the components and workmanship. A well machined, balanced assembly with quality parts will certainly equal the reliability of stock if not better.

Usually you have three attributes to any project: price, speed (time to finish), quality. You only get to pick two.

·
Registered
142 Posts
I agree with thomas_l. I have an '01 FXDX, stroked to 103", with HP hovering at 125+. Beats the crap out of 65hp!! Built with ALL Screaming Eagle Harley parts, ported & poliched heads, and 7000 rpm ignition. Built with quality, and quality parts....LIKES the high revs, and has been totally reliable thus far. You get what you pay for.

After riding the Stroker, I'd be hard pressed to ride stock. It's like night and day. Still get a rush when twisting the throttle, and still scares the h*ll outa me at times.

·
Pestilence
2,092 Posts
supersport said:
With a stroked crank throw, the piston must travel a further distance to achieve the same RPM as it's stock stroke counterpart. Therefore increased wear is thrown into the equation. Long stroke large bore engines do not like high RPMs. The larger reciprocating mass combined with the longer throw has the tendency to make the rods/pistons want to part company with the crank at excessively high RPMs. Remember the 409 and later 396 Chevy engines. Low end torque monsters, high RPM grenades!

The rule of thumb I usually refer to is anything in excess of one horsepower per cubic inch is incrementally compromising reliability.

SS
Yep.
And lets give some definition to HD reliability.
Benchmark=Split cases
Stock - 100,000 miles+
Mild - 75,000-100,00
Hot-Less than 50,000

Reciprocating mass........bite ya every time

:eek:

·
IronButt
6,364 Posts
There are touring bike that are 107 and they have the award for the huge miles they put on every year. I own a TC 107 If you take care of the bike and dont ride it like a idiot it will last. I know people that smoke a stock motor because they ride like a idiot. We have done several baggers with 103, 107, 116 and all have been great running engines. Hot bikes will go less than 50 K B.S. What can hurt a engine is piston speed the industry had made great parts in the last few years much better than a few years ago. I will put my 107 against any stock motor for milage period. The owners 116 has over 60 k and the bike runs flawless and will smoke most other bikes. FUN to ride a draggin bagger.

·
Banned
999 Posts
thomas_l said:

Not really. It has to do with the quality of the components and workmanship. A well machined, balanced assembly with quality parts will certainly equal the reliability of stock if not better.

Usually you have three attributes to any project: price, speed (time to finish), quality. You only get to pick two.

if you get the most out of the motor and really spend the bux on a top notch job you just end up breaking the other stuff like the tranny, cluctch belt etc...

if reliability is no object then the more the better but if you want the fastest bike on the planet and want reliability you need to buy a Hayabusa. otherwise expect to break the M/F'er.

·
Registered
142 Posts
I'd be curious to see evidence where tweaked, bored or "hot" as some refer to, have low relaibilty. Are the mileage numbers stated above from factual information, or just someone's opinion? Frankly, I'd rather get the kick I get outa twistin the throttle on my 103" for 50,000 miles and do a rebuild, than think about 100,000+ miles. But that's what "I" want. I am open to people's opinions, but hope we are not throwing out bad info to someone who asks a serious question.

If I'd wanted a Hayabusa, I would have bought one. To each his own.

·
Pestilence
2,092 Posts
I can only speak for a handful of bikes

(personal)1991 Sportster 883 - 1200 kit. Headwork by Jarz Performance, Andrews N8s, S&S Super E, Supertrapps, SE Ignition.
Con rod failure at 32000 miles. Repaired

(Long time riding bud)1992 FXR 1340. Headwork by Gus, Crane Hi roller cams, S&S Super G, Supertrapp 2 into 1 SE ignition
Wrist pin failure at 40000 miles. Repaired

(family member)1986 ElectraGlide Expo Edition. Bone stock includes mufflers and carb
124000 miles. Going to Sturgis

(family member)1987 Heritage. Stock, except for SE breather kit and SEII pipes installed this year.87000 miles. Going to Sturgis

(personal)2002 ElectraGlide. Stock except for SE breather kit and Genuine Accessories Touring mufflers. 14000 miles. Going to Sturgis.
Motor WILL be left alone(I can only dream 6 digits!!) :)

No misinformation.
Only my experience.

·
Banned
999 Posts
Flyer, that is perfect anecdotal evidence.

remember RIP from easyriders magazine. fugger had three bikes,rode em all over country. he wrote article every month about his travels. I remember three months in a row his stroker motored flh breaking three different ways in three different states.tI think one time the clutch basket rivets, next time the pinion shaft and dont remember third problem but enuf to piss him off enuf to say "stroker motors sure run good, but they aren't for the road."

friend put 96 cube [email protected] in eglide. tranny grenaded within six months.

I stopped to assist stranded bike one day,a beautiful custom with the prerequisite big motor and he had snapped the drive belt.

for real fun,another guy I know has a Shovelhead hardtail stroker. I dont think I ever went anywhere without him having to work on that bike.

Sybil has 112,000 miles. its got hi comp pistons andev13 cam but not much else. when I wear it out again I'm going back to stock compression.

have an 01 flhtci, bone stock, 40,000 miles.I have not done anything to the bike except brakes and tires. I will not have to do anything to the bike as long as I dont try to make it better.

·
Registered
98 Posts
speaking of reliability, how about custom head work? i know that multi angle valve jobs increase horsepower, but doesnt it reduce reliability? my only experince is in the automotive field. a performance car with a multiangle valve job was only good for 10-20k miles.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Hey DavidAllen

I was watching Speed Channel I don't know if you get that station but on the show "American Thunder" they have a Night Train project bike the have been working on for awhile now. Its done at Bartels Harley-Davidson in Ca. They have droped the 95" big bore kit and SE cams can't remember which ones. This week they were installing the 103" stroker kit. They are on on Tuesdays @9 or 9:30PAC time

1 - 20 of 22 Posts