V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don't know if anyone recently has tackled this subject and I missed it but I thought I'd throw this out and see what people can tell me. I'm looking to make the most out of my carb. / motor set up as it is. I have a stock TC88 (in a '00 FXDL) with Cycle Shack slipons & High-flo SE intake. May put a set of cams in this year, but beyond that... nothing else. Is the stock carb the best carb for the job, (general performance, throttle response etc.) are there any modifications that anyone would recommend, (like a Thunderjet, or sending it to Dakota Kid to be redone). Would I be better off going to a Mikuni CV, I have heard good things about them as well. I have heard that the CV setup is the way to go for a mild street motor so I'd like to stay that route. Any feedback good, bad or indifferent would be greatly appreciated! Thanks...

·
Registered
2,300 Posts
The first choice would be to keep the stock carb and properly rejet it.

I would use a CV44 before spending the money to have the OEM carb reworked.
Mikuni's are good carb's and have good throttle response, but if you replace the carb I would wager that you get the best #'s with the CV44. They will be only slightly higher then with a well tuned stock carb on that configuration in any case.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Phat,
Read the other posts in this part of the forum about Mixture adjustment, CV carb mods, etc. Go to the Nightrider.com site - you will find a wealth of information.
I just did some of the mods (nothing to the slide, didn't shim the needle or change/cut springs - just the mixture adjustment and slowjet change), and did it ever make a difference!
Now if the weather would just cooperate while I'm on vacation next week...

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Thanks Hippo & Flash... Good info to start with! The carb has been rejetted once, but I think they missed something 'cuz it just doesn't seem right... I guess I'll have to have it redone and see what happens. It just seems that it burps and runs like crap until about 30 min. into a ride when it's good and warm, then it will idle nice and cooperate, (for the most part...) I'm going to go and see what else I can find out there, I've been to the Nightrider sight before... great wealth of info! Good luck with the weather for your vaca., hope it goes your way!

BTW Mike... I know on the '02 FXDL, they sent it out with the lowered suspension, (about 1" lower than my '00) and it looks great. How do you like it, do you find it rides harsh or is it ok? I'd like to drop mine an inch, but I've heard mixed reviews. I weigh about 165, so my feeling would be that I'd be ok with giving up the inch... any thoughs?

·
Registered
228 Posts
Hey PhatFXDL, new to this site and am just reading your post. Did you get your carb figured out? I've got a 99fxdx and have the same problem. Currently have drilled mufflers, rejet, and SE air. I was thinking of going to the Mikuni 42, as a buddy has had 2 (one sporty, one 01 softail) and swears by them. He says you can feel the throttle response and torque improvement, but didn't dyno before/after for compare.

I'd be interested to know how it turned out for you. Thanks!

btw... does the Phat part mean you've got a phat rear tire kit?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts