V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
All,
Hello forum! My 00' DynaSport with 7900 miles was weeping(vice leaking) at the centerline where the halves meet. I retorqued the 9bolts to spec and in sequence. Has since stopped leaking, but... now I have noticed what looks like white lithium grease on the oil dipstick. Naturally, I assumed this was either from my riding in the rain or simply condensate building up so I changed the oil(which had <800 miles on it ). Has happened again since. The obvious answer is take it in as I have the extended warranty, but would appreciate any input from you techs out there before I do. Thank you!
AJS

·
Registered
603 Posts
H2O condensation is causing the white lithium grease. Your powerplant is not acheiving optimal thermal efficiency to evaporate the condensate from the long chain hydrocarbon molecules that are used to decrease the friction within the reciprocating internal combustion engine that is powering your scooter. You should ride longer and harder or change your oil more frequently.

JMS

·
Premium Member
1,394 Posts
Hey JMS.
Great Reply.
Now,,,, are you a nominee for the pulitzer, a lobbyist or a congressman.
You should do infomercials. LOL
Party On!!!

·
Registered
6 Posts
JMS is right on the money, I think...

I had the same problem. Too many short trips. In fact, if you look inside the dipsitck tube, you will see the same buildup on the inside of the case. Run it hard and then let it idle a while to really get it hot before you change the oil.

I changed to synthetic (Mobil 1 15W-50) and haven't had a problem since. After a year, I changed the oil last weekend and the inside was ABSOLUTELY clean. By the way, I still have a lot of short trips.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks all,
I was pretty confident the short trips were the issue, just wanted to know I was not the only one it's happened to. I just moved to a colder climate after 15years in SanDiego and I guess the rules have now changed(with the temp). I've been planning on switching to Mobile I Synthetic, but have a case of HD 360 I wanted to use up. I do change the oil about every 1500miles for the record, being the long time gearhead that I am.
Thaks again for the input. This forum is great! :)
Al

1 - 5 of 5 Posts