V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New to this forum just today.. Does anyone have any issues with TC88 pinging or excessive engine vibes? My 2000 FXDL has engine vibes that come and go, worse when engine hot.. Also pings most of the time on 92 fuel. Here's a pic just for fun..

·
Ridge Rider
435 Posts
Welcome to the forum. Great people here and a ton of information. I have an 02 FXDL but no problem with vibes or pinging. Sounds like maybe a jet issue with your carb. Do a search or look up Hippo on this forum. This guy is an amazing resource for info on just about everything Harley. By the way, great looking scoot. Where did you get the bag on your pillion seat?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Dawg: Thx for the tip, I'm just concerned about durability of my ride.. The bike has just 10K miles, been to the dealer, they say "couldn't duplicate".. Go figure.. The bag is a "Lazy-Rider" combo bag and back rest, got it thru' www.lazyrider.com..

·
Traveling Man
1,272 Posts
Carycr, that is a fine looking bike. Thanks for the picture. It looks like you have a Mustang set. Is that the wide touring?

About the pinging...I see that you have the pipes. Did you do the high flow air filter and rejet? If so what jet size?

Later,

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Fifth Gear, thx for the reply.. Yes that is a Mustang wide touring seat, very comfortable.. Along with the SE slip-ons, I installed the SE air cleaner kit, changed the slow jet from a 45 to a 48 and removed idle mixture adj. screw plug and fattened idle mix by 1 turn.. The vibes seem to come in after bike ridden for say, 30 miles and continue until bike started the next day.. Engine pings most of the time at steady throttle 4th or 5th gear.. It's troblesome..

·
Registered
117 Posts
carycr said:
Fifth Gear, thx for the reply.. Yes that is a Mustang wide touring seat, very comfortable.. Along with the SE slip-ons, I installed the SE air cleaner kit, changed the slow jet from a 45 to a 48 and removed idle mixture adj. screw plug and fattened idle mix by 1 turn.. The vibes seem to come in after bike ridden for say, 30 miles and continue until bike started the next day.. Engine pings most of the time at steady throttle 4th or 5th gear.. It's troblesome..
It sounds to me that you might be too lean at part throttle. You might have a vacuum leak, which would cause the fuel mixture to be lean. What do the spark plugs look like. How fast are you going when your in 5th gear at a steady throttle? I'm not trying to insult your intelligence but I'm wondering if your are lugging the engine too much.I know on my 01 FXD I can't get into 5th gear before 50 mph.H.D. motors make tremendous amounts of low speed torque but they don't like to be lugged.
Good Luck !!!:)

·
Traveling Man
1,272 Posts
I am no expert so bear with me untill an expert comes along. When you say flatened idle mixture how many turns out from the stop are you? A good starting point is 2 1/2 turns out. It doesn't really sound like a jetting problem to me.

In fourth or fifth when you hear the pinging and vibes are you under excelleration, going up hill or just steady cruising? Does the pinging increase under heavy load, uphill or excelleration? At what rpm is the pinging and vibes the worst?

I could try to explain a few things about verifying that your jetting is close but I think if you go to the below link it is explained better. Verify this jetting question first for peace of mind since it won't cost you anything.

http://www.nightrider.com/biketech/carbadjust.htm

Later

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Bub, Fifthgear: Thx for the input.. This ping in 4th or 5th gear is generally around 3k rpm, and only at steady throttle, move the throttle just a fraction open or closed and ping disappears, it's almost like the map sensor is lying to the ign module at that particular manifold pressure, however no trouble codes set in module, spark plugs look good (very light brown) but inside of mufflers quite sooty.

·
Ridge Rider
435 Posts
Carycr, is that the small or large one? I have back trouble and that looks like the solution I have been looking for.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Dawg, the bag onmy bike is the small one, I first tried the large one and found it pushed me to far forward on the seat, so called them back and they exchanged completely without hassle, great people at Lazy Rider..
The adjustable backrest pad is the perfect accessory.

·
Registered
62 Posts
has engine vibes that come and go, worse when engine hot

Yep! I've had em too. Hav'nt figured it out yet either, but it does wear on you. Mine also has heavy vibration at 2000 rpm in any gear. To be real honest this problem drove me to order a new 2002 Fat Boy. Hell of an expensive cure I'd say.
This Dyna also started vibrating heavy continuoulsy at one time and I found that
the front motor mount had lost its capacity to support the weight of the engine.
I replaced the mount and the continuous heavy vibration was gone. Please bear in mind that these are two seperate issues. I wish I had more answers to this question as do you. Fat Boy should be here next week. I'm anxious to compare the two.

Big Dog

1 - 13 of 13 Posts