V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ill start by saying im a typical dyna asshole. I ride like its my last day on earth. My chain tensioners went out, and now im looking to do a whole lot of work to the cam chest. What would you guys reccomend? I do a lot of highway riding here in florida, but also a lot of city. My Bikes been down for about a year now, because of chemo and other **** taking my time. Im just ready to ride again. Shits been my PTSD relief for about 10 years now, and lifes getting stressful without it.

Im on the fence about just running the entire gear drive kit. Only reason im on the fence is money.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Ill start by saying im a typical dyna asshole. I ride like its my last day on earth. My chain tensioners went out, and now im looking to do a whole lot of work to the cam chest. What would you guys reccomend? I do a lot of highway riding here in florida, but also a lot of city. My Bikes been down for about a year now, because of chemo and other **** taking my time. Im just ready to ride again. Shits been my PTSD relief for about 10 years now, and lifes getting stressful without it.

Im on the fence about just running the entire gear drive kit. Only reason im on the fence is money.
Ill also add, im running a SS air breather kit, and 2-1 Basanni.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Ill also add, im running a SS air breather kit, and 2-1 Basanni.
Ive got a 2003 Dyna and did a camchest upgrade that worked for me.. Complete S&S 509g upgrade.. Ive got the DK Customs 606 backing plate with EBS and Basani 1D18R 2-1 exhaust. I took my time getting exhaust, to finally get it tuned right for me Sorry to hear your shoes crapped out on you.. Make sure it didnt throw lots of junk into oil pan, when they came apart. I did my upgrade at 10k, to avoid any future problems.. My CRO was .0025 so geardrives were my choice. I also went with the 509 set because its lower RPMs ( idle to 4500 ) for torque..It still pulls up high, but more flat..

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
How bad were the chain tensioners? Were they really chewed up putting a lot of metal into the engine? If so you're probably looking at an engine teardown because of the metal particles. At the very most I would clean out the engine as good as possible, and remove and clean the oil sump, and put it back together with good used parts and new Cyco aftermarket cam tensioner pads. Then ride it to see if any other problems arise.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
So the tensioners werent that bad. I had a tick, and thats when i took it apart. I had a feeling they were going bad. Its just been a year now haha.

Bikes been drained of all fluid and ive done some other work while its been down, to the tune of rebuilding the forks, redoing the electrical system, which included Crank sensor, TSSM, Stator, Carberator, air cleaner, tank sealant, and more. Ive been debating buying a donor engine from another bike.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Hi, I have a 2003 FLST and have done the cam chest work. I also went with the S & S 509's since they give great pull in the low RPM range from 2.5 to 4.5 K. Super glad I did the work when I did (at 29,000 miles on the bike) since one of the cam tensioners was half chewed away! I know there is a big cost in making the swap but much less than repairing a blown engine! Looking back on having the work done I am wishing that I upgraded the oil pump at the same time. But didn't have the extra cash at the time. Bike runs great now though anyway. Cheers

·
Premium Member
1,253 Posts
Glad to year you're getting back in the saddle! Assuming it's stock 88 TC? Not sure if '03 Dyna was FI or carb? Solo or 2 up riding? It all matters.

Anyway...I did a bunch of stuff to my '02FXSTi (softail standard) over the years since I bought it stock (88ci). At 35K miles I bored it out to 95", sent the heads out to BigBoyz for a port job and they set up compression to 9.8:1 for the Andrews 37 cam, added in the SE Hyd Tensioner kit which included new camplate, higher output oil pump and the hyd tensioners. Then did a proper dyno tune to dial it all in. After a 3-4 years the crank pinion slipped throwing everything out of balance so I tore it down and put in an S&S stroker crank to bump it a 107ci. Last year I picked up a '19 Road Glide Special (114 M8) and the softail has been in the corner ever since.

Lots of choices for cams on a Twinkie. You said you're taking your time so I recommend you do some research to determine what cam will work best with your exh/intake/compression combined with where you want the powerband to be, etc. Figure that out first then make it happen and you will be happier. I would also look into the SE hyd tensioner upgrade kit.

Check out this site for some ideas and info on various cams...

Also lots of info on the Fuel Moto site with many dyno charts to peruse and learn

·
Registered
9 Posts
Ok, I'm going to give you the low-down money-saving way to do this. I changed my cam chain tensioner shoes with an upgraded model from Twin Power. The whole job cost me less than $200. My original shoes weren't that bad and if you check these at about the same mileage you checked your other ones you should be fine. This is how to do it on the cheap with a stock 88 TC.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts