V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Did a quick search, didn’t see anything obvious…
Have an 01 Electra ultra. Been riding it in the cold (32-36 def f) and noticed the other day some oil on the back of the primary.

cleaned that up a bit and directed the vent tube for the transmission upward to see if I could confirm the source.

went for a short ride this evening (60ish miles) and found the source of the leak is the vent tube on the left side of the transmission.

Enough that I got a couple drops on the garage floor…

i have read elsewhere that this is somewhat common in cold climates, but wanted to poll the room to see what you all think.

oil is showing still on the stock (though engine is currently cold)…. I’m not running low, but I’m also not a fan of the insides coming out…

mis this “normal” or an indication of something else?
Automotive tire Hood Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Tire

·
Registered
2004 FLSTCI, 1993 FXDL
945 Posts
Used to be "If it ain't leaking, it ain't a Harley!" But that's not the case these days. Could be from the cold. What fluid are you running? Where does it read on the stick hot? Only two things I can think of. At least the vent tube isn't plugged!

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Used to be "If it ain't leaking, it ain't a Harley!" But that's not the case these days. Could be from the cold. What fluid are you running? Where does it read on the stick hot? Only two things I can think of. At least the vent tube isn't plugged!
Running Schaefer’s gear oil, with about 700 miles since it was changed. This just started as the temps dropped.

Ill check the oil level next time I ride. Right now, on the jiffy stand on a cold motor it is reading “low”. I’ll get it warm and put it in a jack and check it properly…

·
not sober all the time
5,996 Posts
I can't remember having that issue but I'll toss out a wild azz guess. Condensation forms in the transmission from the cool weather. During the ride, it eventually warms up enough to vent, carrying a small amount of oil with it. That's my guess and I'm sticking with it until proven that I'm FOS. :LOL:

·
Super Moderator
21,737 Posts
It's cold, so as the trans warms up, it has an additional amount of vapor to vent. Add to that the fluid being very thick, and it's hard to separate it from the vapor. You might even be getting the gear oil whipped into a custard while its cold. I might drain that oil out and refill it with 20/50 synthetic motor oil for the winter. Then put the gear oil back in come spring.

·
Registered
2004 FLSTCI, 1993 FXDL
945 Posts
UncleSalty that's a good guess, but I'd hope the OP would have seen that on the dipstick. Personally, I swear by Redline Heavy Shockproof Synthetic.

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
dont know when you changed the tr oil last but mine had a little chok milk in it just from a year or so of just topping it off.....I took it for granted! and changed the fluid asap

1 - 7 of 7 Posts