V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, I’ve got a 2003 TC88B that was pulled out of a Softail. It’s going into a hard tail chopper frame. Although I anticipate many speed bumps throughout the entire project, I would like to dedicate this thread specifically to the motor. I’ll explain my plan briefly, and if anyone has any suggestions about how to make this job easier please chime in.

So, I’ve got a motor. It had 10 miles on it when it was pulled (at least that’s the story I got). The person I got it from picked it up from a dealer for a project he never finished.

It has a charging system and came with a voltage regulator, intake manifold and not much else. I intend to use a Thunder Heart independent ignition module (can be seen here: http://www.thunder-heart.com/IgnitionCoils.html) so I don’t have to deal with Harley wiring harness, sending modules and other stuff. It works of the stock cam position sensor. I’ll add an oil pressure gauge and temp gauge so I can keep an eye on the life blood of the motor.

I’ve picked up a polished 42mm Mikuni carb and custom air filter assembly.

There’s a bunch of other bits that I need, but that’s what I’ve got to start with as far as motor goes.

Questions:
1. Can anyone suggest a good service manual so I can make sure I’ve got this thing plumbed and wired right? I’m going to pick up a parts manual.
2. Since I’m not going to be using some things like the oil sending unit and other “safety” bits that bolt into this motor, can anyone suggest appropriate plugs for these holes?
3. Need shiny nuts and bolts…. Got a good source?
4. I’m still looking for a good custom harness that can incorporate the key, fuses and starting system components… any suggestions?

Any other suggestions or comments are appreciated. Thanks for taking the time to read my post!

·
Banned
21,644 Posts
Your not going to find a parts manual for this bike. I would build around 2003 softail. Follow manual when you can. My personal opinions is hardtails are for hardasses. Softails look good and give you suspension. But your bike.

I would think drive train will be differant. I would think some thought will have to be put into spacers, shims, belt, and chain. Can you find kit bike, built around TC that you could follow? Just for basics like wiring and set up. Could still do the rest what you want.

Are you doing any engine mods? Boring or stroking? Cams?

Maybe post in the Chopper section not sure are the big choppers guys around here. I am sure someone can help you.
I hope to someday build my own bike. But would probably take a basic frame and model and customize it.

·
Banned
21,644 Posts
Tracker557 said:
? I’m going to pick up a parts manual.
2. Since I’m not going to be using some things like the oil sending unit and other “safety” bits that bolt into this motor, can anyone suggest appropriate plugs for these holes?
!
HD don't have a lot of safety items. I would think a warnin light for oil pressure would be nice. I have guage, but your not constantly looking at it. But if you don't want oil pressure sensor, guide install gauge there.

·
Administrator
11,287 Posts
Here's a thread you might want to check out. http://www.v-twinforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=56026 If you have any questions feel free to ask. We used a SE ignition module and an aftermarket wiring harness. It wasn't very difficult and pretty cost effective. I noticed you said you were going to use a Cam sensor, I don't believe the 2003's used a cam sensor, only a crank sensor.

Good luck

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
springer- said:
I noticed you said you were going to use a Cam sensor, I don't believe the 2003's used a cam sensor, only a crank sensor.

Good luck
You are correct! That's what I meant to say... I was just testin' ya! ;)

Thanks for your input!

·
Banned
21,644 Posts
That is one sweet bike. Love to own one. But don't think I could keep it clean enough to do justice. I was talking to a guy with custom, was raining out. He brought the bike home. He claimed took him 16 hours to polish. I thought bs, but maybe not.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
That is a sweet ride. Nice posting of the build up too!

This project I'm working on is my first. It's a hardtail in order to keep things a little more simple. I'll probably ride it around for a while and sell it unless I fall in love with it. The goal is to keep it simple and cheap. I want it to look good, but it's going to be a riders machine, not a show bike.

Thanks again!

·
Banned
21,644 Posts
Have you ever ridden a hard tail? Not trying to patronize. I haven't, so I can't say really say. Someone said they liked it, could really feel the road, whatever that means.

·
Administrator
11,287 Posts
The bike you were looking at is a rider .... not a show bike. like I said, if you have any questions feel free to ask.

·
IronButt
6,364 Posts
There is a kit that offers you to use there parts for a simple plug and play from EFI to carb, but you need a 99 style cam cover. If you go that route I have one that I would part with. It allows you to run a carb, and use a nose cone style ign system. The kit is a very easy swap and is used mainly for the custom bikes like yours.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Thunder Mountain Custom Cycles uses the Twin Cam in there bikes. Maybe you could set it up similar to there's. They may have a wiring harness and other parts needed. But I think there bikes are all softails. Good Luck. :chopper:

·
Ironbutt
7,412 Posts
berserker said:
Have you ever ridden a hard tail? Not trying to patronize. I haven't, so I can't say really say. Someone said they liked it, could really feel the road, whatever that means.
I'll take a softail over a hardtail any day....same looks but MUCH more rider friendly. I've ridden a couple of hardtails. Hit a nice bump going 40 mph and it'll damn near knock the breath out of you. Gotta have a strong back to absorb all those [shockless] bumps as well. I'd love to have an old hardtail with a knucklehead but it would definitely just be a bar hopper.

·
Banned
21,644 Posts
I was kind of wondering when he said he wants to be bike you can ride. Takes all kinds. Theres some tough burgers out there. Me , I've actually raised toast to no more kickstarts. I like improvement. IMO softails give that clean look. But people do seem to like hardails, so what do I know.

·
Ironbutt
7,412 Posts
berserker said:
But people do seem to like hardails, so what do I know.
Yea, but how many hardtails do you actually see being ridden...like daily. I think a lot of guys buy these cool custom hardtails (choppers) without ever having ridden one and then realize what a rough ride it is. Then it becomes the garage queen.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I have no disillusions about the “quality” of the ride of hardtails. This will be the first one I have ridden and I fully expect to have my kidneys banged around and my spine snapped by the less than perfect roads of New England when it is done. It will be designed and operated as a bike that probably won’t have more than 200 or 300 miles a week put on at best…. Depending on your definition, a bar hopper. If I want to ride all day long and be able to walk the next day I can just hop on my “production” bike… but where’s the coolness factor in that?!?! No mass produced bike looks like a 10 up 5 out 42 degree raked hardtail.

It’s a project, it’s a toy, it probably won’t be a daily rider, but it won’t sit unridden either. Hell, if I don’t ride it, my wife will!

Thanks again for all the input. I’m sure I’ll have more questions down the line and I’m sure some of them will be stupid!

·
Ironbutt
7,412 Posts
Tracker557 said:
I’m sure I’ll have more questions down the line and I’m sure some of them will be stupid!
No stupid questions on this forum...just stupid answers.

·
Banned
21,644 Posts
If I was not out of karma points, I would take a poll and see how many miles these hardtails get. Maybe I would be surprised. Trying to keep open mind. I am to much a wuss to ride one.

·
Seasoned Prime Member
446 Posts
berserker said:
If I was not out of karma points, I would take a poll and see how many miles these hardtails get. Maybe I would be surprised. Trying to keep open mind. I am to much a wuss to ride one.
In 1969 I rode my 46 Knucklehead, rigid wishbone frame, from NY to Florida and back. After I got out of the Army I rode the same bike from NY to CA and back twice. I also made trips to Texas, S. Dakota, Florida numerous times and some places I can't even remember. Rigids are a part of Harley history. Not too many people own them anymore let alone take them on long trips. Rigid frames + bumpy roads = bad kidneys.:hmmm:

·
Banned
21,644 Posts
Its not 1969 anymore. They took a tool on a person. Not saying you can't put miles on them. Hey don't need elec start either, but I'll meet you in the parking lot at 3, before I give that up.

·
Seasoned Prime Member
446 Posts
berserker said:
Its not 1969 anymore. They took a tool on a person. Not saying you can't put miles on them. Hey don't need elec start either, but I'll meet you in the parking lot at 3, before I give that up.
No sh!t it ain't 69 anymore and I know they took a tool/toll. That's what I was trying to say. Technology moves on!! I own an 03 Road King and still have the Knucklehead only it's restored and has a sprung seat. Ya ever ride a rigid? I didn't think so. How can you have an opinion about something you've never experienced? You asked, I answered!! F#&k it!!#@SasF#

1 - 20 of 20 Posts