V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey folks - I'm new to this so if this has been beaten around, please forgive.

I want to take the next step in adding some performance to my TC 88 B (2003 Fat Boy). Carb has been re-jetted, SE slip on mufflers with baffles modified and the SE (K&N) air breather kit.

The HD dealer wants to put in the 1550 kit but I hear and read in American Iron that this is not the best set up until the heads are ported (especially intake).

Anyone done this? Outcome results?

Is the a good Florida (Tampa/Sarasota) area engine shop?

Anything with help in my decsion
Thanks!

·
Registered
2,589 Posts
Andy L said:
Hey folks - I'm new to this so if this has been beaten around, please forgive.

I want to take the next step in adding some performance to my TC 88 B (2003 Fat Boy). Carb has been re-jetted, SE slip on mufflers with baffles modified and the SE (K&N) air breather kit.

The HD dealer wants to put in the 1550 kit but I hear and read in American Iron that this is not the best set up until the heads are ported (especially intake).

Anyone done this? Outcome results?

Is the a good Florida (Tampa/Sarasota) area engine shop?

Anything with help in my decsion
Thanks!
Andy,

First, welcome to the forum. Might want to introduce yourself when you get a chance.

The HD 1550 upgrade is a good way to get a decent boost over stock power. I'm guessing they want to put in the 211 or 203 cam and get you to about 9.5 compression ratio. Headwork makes ANY combo perform better and tends to give you smoother and cooler running as the stock heads are rather restrictive. You will leave anywhere from 8 - 12 HP and TQ on the table if you leave in the stockers and you not get the full benefit of the other mods that you do. Depending on how you ride is the key to your cam choice. If you want low end pull and decent increase in the mid to upper ranges then the 204 cam is the way to go IMHO. (The 203 is kinda lost in the HD lineup since the introduction of the 204, as the 204 has basically the same characteristics down low but opens up the top a bit more and stays harder longer). Lots of guys here are a fan of the 211 if you think you like to hang around in the mid to upper RPM ranges more often than not. There are some real good porters that will do your stock heads (one site sponsor here named BigBoyz has a price of $300 that does good work). Also Dewey Jelen is back in business and is one of the best in the business. www.deweyscustoms.com
The dealer may try to sell you the SE line up of heads but IMHO the custom porters will get you the better numbers for the cheaper price in some cases. Get yourself into the 10 to 1 compression ratio if you are sticking to the 211, or 204 and you shouild get into the upper 80's to low 90's for HP and TQ should fall in the mid 90's or a bit higher. Nice boost over stock. If you are looking outside the SE lineup, the Andrews 26 is a nice runner with or without head work and the 37 with increased compression AND headwork is very popular. The 55 out of Andrews is also a nice performer with added valve lift. These are all good, RELIABLE builds that will have you smiling from the stock numbers. If you really want to get into the 100's there are Wood cams and higher lift offerings from the MOCO and other manufacturers, but then you are looking at other issues that may come into play. Hope this gets you started. Good luck.

·
Registered
2,589 Posts
GRock said:
Andy,

First, welcome to the forum. Might want to introduce yourself when you get a chance.

The HD 1550 upgrade is a good way to get a decent boost over stock power. I'm guessing they want to put in the 211 or 203 cam and get you to about 9.5 compression ratio. Headwork makes ANY combo perform better and tends to give you smoother and cooler running as the stock heads are rather restrictive. You will leave anywhere from 8 - 12 HP and TQ on the table if you leave in the stockers and you not get the full benefit of the other mods that you do. Depending on how you ride is the key to your cam choice. If you want low end pull and decent increase in the mid to upper ranges then the 204 cam is the way to go IMHO. (The 203 is kinda lost in the HD lineup since the introduction of the 204, as the 204 has basically the same characteristics down low but opens up the top a bit more and stays harder longer). Lots of guys here are a fan of the 211 if you think you like to hang around in the mid to upper RPM ranges more often than not. There are some real good porters that will do your stock heads (one site sponsor here named BigBoyz has a price of $300 that does good work). Also Dewey Jelen is back in business and is one of the best in the business. www.deweyscustoms.com
The dealer may try to sell you the SE line up of heads but IMHO the custom porters will get you the better numbers for the cheaper price in some cases. Get yourself into the 10 to 1 compression ratio if you are sticking to the 211, or 204 and you shouild get into the upper 80's to low 90's for HP and TQ should fall in the mid 90's or a bit higher. Nice boost over stock. If you are looking outside the SE lineup, the Andrews 26 is a nice runner with or without head work and the 37 with increased compression AND headwork is very popular. The 55 out of Andrews is also a nice performer with added valve lift. These are all good, RELIABLE builds that will have you smiling from the stock numbers. If you really want to get into the 100's there are Wood cams and higher lift offerings from the MOCO and other manufacturers, but then you are looking at other issues that may come into play. Hope this gets you started. Good luck.
PS - There is a guy in FLA that is great for building AND tuning that will treat you right. One of the best. PM me if you are interested.

·
Premium Member
1,298 Posts
Take Grock's advice... he is one of the best advisors on the forum. Good luck.

·
IronButt
6,364 Posts
I would like to add that you are going to get TONS of info from this site. You can start with a mild build or look into wild. The best thing to do is

1. Have a budget

2. Do the mods all at once as you will be money ahead

3.Look long and hard at how you ride and what you would like as a end result

4.Remember that opinions are going to vary LOL

5. Never believe anything from any one that fixes boats ( private joke) LOL

·
Registered
2,589 Posts
WRENCH,
Gave up the marine racing for high performance snowblowers and weedwhackers. We just won the WalMart / Chapstick Snow & Blow Open Division up in Vermont. Cleared the entire Walmart lot in 9 minutes, 14 seconds with a Toro unit with our own design EFI Sno-King engine and Deweys Polar Pro heads. That sucker was throwing 72 feet at it's max. Try and top that, wiseguy!! :bleh:

Take HDWRENCH's advice...he is one of the best advisors on the forum. Good luck.

·
IronButt
6,364 Posts
Well since you asked there is a top fuel contest here for palm tree trimming. We did very well in the qualifiying runs. We used a 1200 cc sporty motor with 4 valve heads and a turbo on NOS to get rid of the turbo lag. The twin 51 cv carbs are going to need more tuning but man can we make the palm tree saw dust in a hurry. I here that it may catch on in the next Olympic games. We have a new trick to try. I feel that with 15% nitro to the mix and retarding the timing 4* we can beat the record of 6 trees in under 30 seconds.

·
ovanay elinquentday
2,021 Posts
GRock said:
WRENCH,
Gave up the marine racing for high performance snowblowers and weedwhackers. We just won the WalMart / Chapstick Snow & Blow Open Division up in Vermont. Cleared the entire Walmart lot in 9 minutes, 14 seconds with a Toro unit with our own design EFI Sno-King engine and Deweys Polar Pro heads. That sucker was throwing 72 feet at it's max. Try and top that, wiseguy!! :bleh:

Take HDWRENCH's advice...he is one of the best advisors on the forum. Good luck.
Nothing like the mutual admiration of Wrench, GRock, and the unnamed FL HD expert. :)

They are the best though, so the advice is sound ,even if they do play in Walmart parking lots.

·
IronButt
6,364 Posts
Walmart ha I never go to that HIGH FLUNANT place I like Big lots now there is some great suff to buy so what if the cans look like they have been drug behind the truck to get there, or that some of the boxes look opened. I am ok saving a few pennies and shaving off the fuzzy stuff on the food. :bleh:

·
Premium Member
388 Posts
Do it right the 1st time

I know from personal experience that you should listen to the advise of these very knowledgable people on this board.I asked WRENCH for advise after I had work done and was not happy with what I had. He is great to deal with.

LISTEN and DO IT RIGHT THE 1ST TIME it reaally is cheaper than a rebuild

·
Registered
2,589 Posts
My weedwhacker is an honor student at.......sorry, wrong bumper sticker!

My weedwhacker can kick your chainsaws ass!

And you're not going to make me feel bad just cause I've been able to work my way up to Walmart quality. I deserve it!! :huh:

·
Habitual **************.
234 Posts
Its now official. The winter freeze has firmly taken a set.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts