V-Twin Forum banner

21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
Super Moderator
20,853 Posts
If S&S have put in the instruction sheet that you have to check the cylinders in plates for roundness and piston fit and do the ring gap check with plates then we could avoid problems like this. If I had know this I have take the kit to a machine shop for help. In some kit the write like this Cylinder w/ piston kits included in this Hot Set Up Kit are pre-fit and ready to install. With this kind off instructions things get wrong. over and out for this now waiting for my new flywheel with Timken converting and 117" kit and it should be assembled in a Harley shop in Sweden Charley Karling Racing.

Thanks for all input
Crack open the service manual and read the first paragraph. It says it is to acquaint the user with the construction of the scooter and to assist in performing basic maintenance. Then it says secondly it will introduce the trained HD professional tech with the factory approved repair methods. That means that they assume that you already know the stuff that was taught in scooter repair 101. Then if you go to the jug replacement area the manual explains the need for, and how to use torque plates. The manual is not intended to make the casual wrench into a full fledged motor builder.

The S&S instructions include "Consult an appropriate service manual for your motorcycle for correct disassembly and reassembly procedures for any parts that need to be removed to facilitate installation."

The S&S instructions are intended as an addition to the instructions already in the manual. They also assume that you will have read the manual's pertinent sections and have the required tools on hand.

And that should just about cover that.

·
Registered
5,283 Posts
So this time were the cylinders checked in plates? What is your cleaning method and what lube was used to oil the rings and skirts? What tune plan is being employed to assure the initial tune is close to what is needed and safe? Did you check crank runout and the rods for bad bearings? Was the sump oil and filter inspected for contamination and steps taken to flush, if required?

I guess in summary I am asking what are you doing to prevent a repeat of the last go around besides shiny new parts?

·
Registered
35 Posts
So this time were the cylinders checked in plates? What is your cleaning method and what lube was used to oil the rings and skirts? What tune plan is being employed to assure the initial tune is close to what is needed and safe? Did you check crank runout and the rods for bad bearings? Was the sump oil and filter inspected for contamination and steps taken to flush, if required?

I guess in summary I am asking what are you doing to prevent a repeat of the last go around besides shiny new parts?
Don, i think you mixed the two guy, the one with **** up cylinder is not the OP.

Envoyé de mon iPad en utilisant Tapatalk

·
Registered
17,340 Posts
Don, i think you mixed the two guy, the one with **** up cylinder is not the OP.
The thread drift from hell.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Reactions: Uncle Salty

·
Registered
5,283 Posts
Well, whomever has a failure such as what was illustrated my advice is applicable to. Same from Thermo to drop the pan. I have been on these forums for 15 years and have seen guys perform these builds over and over and never get them fixed. A little common sense and attention to details will bring them over the finish line. this means finding and fixing the root cause even if it turns into an engine out of frame overhaul.

21 - 31 of 31 Posts