V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
684 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
No, it's not gone - it's just missing!

At around 70 mph, my carbed 2000 FLHT felt as though it was starting to run out of gas. It hesited for just a fraction of a second and then was fine. It did this about 3 times within a 5 minute period, and then once again a while later. Any ideas what might be causing this?

·
Premium Member
3,694 Posts
Do you have a S/E ignition module? Several of those were recalled in late 2001.

I had a problem akin to what you describe. On a sporadic basis, the bike would seem to lose power, hesitate, cough and generally act like it wanted to die. Seemed like the carb wasn't getting gas. No one could replicate the problem. Then I read about the S/E ignition module recall. I thought to myself: hmmm, the problem only started AFTER I installed the ignition module and no one can replicate the problem. Could the problem be with the module? I had the dealership check the # on the module. Sure enough, it was one of the recalled models. No problems since the module was replaced.

·
Registered
2,300 Posts
Loosen or remove the gas cap and see if it still does it.

Check the diaphragm in the fuel valve for leaks, as well as the vacuum line, if you have the OEM one.
Could be a dirty filter on the fuel valve, but depending on the milege on a 2K bike it's not all that likely.
If it does it mainly on upgrades it could be a low float level in the carb, but it's not all that likely either.

Ignition failures generally will either kill the engine or cause a hard miss, and set at least a historic code, with the exception of plug wires that can do all sorts of strange things.

·
Registered
2 Posts
cam sensor

Hi Missing

My wifes 00 softail had same thing did it give you a code ?? HER CODE WAS CAM SENSOR SHORT I checked sensor traced wires cleaned it was ok for about 200 miles and did it 3 times in one day so I replaced the
sensor sofar sogood 1000 miles. good luck Phil

·
Registered
684 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks to all for the replys. Naturally, the problem it hasn't repeated itself even after a couple of hundred miles. Unfortunately though, the problem occured at 70 mph and for the past few days I haven't been able to get up to that speed. I have a 2,000 mile trip coming up in a few weeks and would like to resolve this before then. I will definitely let you all know what the problem is - if I ever find out.

·
Registered
2,300 Posts
If it is a early 00 bike they also had a BAS recall. It has to do with the mounting bracket replacement but it will cause a symphtom similar to what you mention. The BAS has also been known to fail and if the failure is very short and intermittent it may not set a code.

The early TC's with the cam sensor also have a connector for the sensor harness under the right frame rail. If it gets moisture in it from rain riding or washing it will throw you for a loop too. There is a battery voltage wire in the connector. It is a good idea to remove the pins and install them in a separate housing.

It feels different then a fuel problem, but the two have been mixed up before.

·
Registered
2,300 Posts
On the corporate site, under service, there is a window where you enter your VIN and sometimes it shows outstanding recalls.

A better bet is to check out the NHTSA web site.

·
Registered
684 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks again.

Just as you indicated, the NHTSA was the better of the two.

The first recall said that the fuel tank vent system can malfunction causing the engine to stall or quit. The second recall involved the fuel throttle linkage. (Don't think that would cause the hesitation.)

I'll ask about this next time I'm at the dealer. In fact, I think I'll shoot them an email. They've been pretty good about responding.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts