V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can anyone update me about the chain driven cam on these engines , how much of a weak spot is this? I understand that there is a gear drive upgrade not sure if MOCO offers or aftermarket (S&S or others). How big a job is it to switch to a gear drive , and what is the cost? I rode *** bikes for years and the cam chain can get quite noisey. I would assume a gear drive world eliminate some engine noise as well!!

·
Registered
4,089 Posts
I'm no expert but this link will give you an idea of the work involved.
Click HERE

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks HarleyHog I was looking at the link on your post!! Just what I was looking for!!!

Great info!!!

·
Premium Member
1,552 Posts
H-D does not offer gear drive cams at this time. However S&S and I beleive Andrews do. So far as the better of the two drive set-ups are concerned, this subject has been beat to death. I chose to use the SE 257 cams in my build since they were spec'd. along with complimenting SE go fast goodies. Donny Peterson of Heavy Duty Cycles and American Iron fame has run the chain drive cams in the ground since day one. Funny how the Small and Big Block Chevys have been running a chain drive system for decades with no problems. My 5.4 SC Triton in my Lightning has cam chains as long as my legs and it among thousands of others out there don't seem to have any timing issues as Mr. Peterson so implies the Twin Cams have.

Unless you need to wring every last pony out of your engine the chain drive cams will do just fine.

SS

·
IronButt
6,364 Posts
ANY one building a TC should look at Gear drive. The stock system works half ass with stock cams with larger cams it plays hell on the tensioners, that is a fact . HD will have there own gear drive set up soon, they do not want to be cut out of that much cash. The problem is that the cams do not stay loaded they bounce back and forth and this cause erratic valve timing and it is hard on the valve train and the valve train noise that most have mors so with a large cam is gone with a gear drive.

·
Premium Member
1,552 Posts
I'll keep my "half assed" working, chain driven cams and I'll be sure to post once they go south so as you can be the first to say... I told you so!

All I know is this bike is tuned to perfection and runs as such!

SS

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the reply's! Had a look at the link from Harleyhog and your right Supersport it looks similar to the SB and BB chevy cam chain system. I would agree with HDWRENCH that if one were to build a high HP engine that a gear drive would be approprate. But for me I was just trying to learn something here , and I did!! And the stock system looks like it is durable enough for me , as my plans are to keep everythihg stock.

Thanks again!!!

·
Premium Member
1,552 Posts
A stock engine is most reliable. Hopefully yours isn't of the '99 or early '00 vintage since they were plagued by rear cam bearing failures. Although H-D issued an extended (5 yr./50,000 mi.) warranty on said bearing failure for the affected Twin Cam engines. I chose to anti up and foot the bill for the defective parts when I had my Big Bore upgrade done. Peace of mind is sometimes an expensive little item!

SS

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I do not own a Harley as of yet , have a 03 Heritage on order. Had read in earler post that there may have been problems with the chain drive. Just trying to learn more about the engine and its durability. And learn I did!!

Thanks for the reply's

·
Registered
5 Posts
the gear drive system works great, especially for high profile camshafts. but they are noisy like any straight cut gear system. however i have been thinking of a way to eliminate the backlash in the gears which is the cause of the noise. more info as my research progresses

·
Registered
55 Posts
over 36000 miles b4 i changed my cams & baerings... the chain drives not the problem the prob is the force put upon the rear cam and bearing gear drives have been in hd,s forever nothing new the chain driven cams were put into play because of epa noise tolerances for entire engine noise restrictions hd did a great job developing the 88 ive ridden pans,evos,shovels and this new engine and by far its design is tops, get some pubs and look at the development that went into eliminatig all the integral parts eliminated at the nosecone,rocker boxes and so forth ....if your worried change the bearings or wait untill something goes south and use the excuse to build your motor up ,,,,lateron..

1 - 12 of 12 Posts