V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
several times 2008 ultra went into a limp home mode on freeway. Worked properly only after shutting. This has happened on many occasion w/o apparent reasoning. No code showed up and dealer never did find anything wrong. Whats scary that by sheer luck I managed to pull over on shoulder w/o getting hit. One day I may not be lucky

·
Registered
142 Posts
First of all, if it really happens that often, you shouldn't be on the freeway at all.

Second, it seems like people with no posts who make a complaint are mostly just trying to get people riled up.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I disconnected the connection to the throttle control module and replugged it several times, followed by a cleaning with denatured alcohol. Then put some dielectric grease on the connection, reconnected, no problems since. Yeh, it can be scary!

·
Meehaw
238 Posts
First of all, if it really happens that often, you shouldn't be on the freeway at all.

Second, it seems like people with no posts who make a complaint are mostly just trying to get people riled up.
Hate to tell ya chief, but it happens. It has happened to me. It is not a nice experience.

·
Meehaw
238 Posts
I disconnected the connection to the throttle control module and replugged it several times, followed by a cleaning with denatured alcohol. Then put some dielectric grease on the connection, reconnected, no problems since. Yeh, it can be scary!
That's what I did, along with resetting the throttle zero position. It hasn't happened since.

·
Registered
89 Posts
I had a problem with mine. Seems there is a problem that HD knows about and can do a download.

The first time it happened to me was just after pulling out of the driveway. Didn't do it again for awhile, so on the way to work in the fast lane of a 4 lane to a side interstate it went out on me again. I did get some codes and forgot what they were, but it was for the throttle control.

Had a download done and it worked for a while. It did it again a couple of times after that, so I unplugged and plugged the connection behind the air filter and unplugged and plugged in the ECM. Haven't had a problem since. The next step would have been checking the connection on the grip. If it isn't a connection problem, or download , then the last thing they told me that would fix it would be a new ECM.

·
Registered
112 Posts

Happened to me as well. Cleaned all connections, pins and plugs along with a small dab of dielectric grease as well. Doesn't sound like a "complaint" to me. And this is a Forum to discuss issues and get advice right?:confused:

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
You are correct in that they have been around a long time. Remember though they break.
You are right, however cables rarely break without some warning if you know how to inspect them. Having been a pilot for years i have been taught to inspect cables frequently. With proper maintaince, lubing and adjusting, they last a long time. Also it should be part of routine maint. of a bike to replace the cables just like wheel bearings ect. and other wear items that are not very expensive. However i would imagine that to routinely replace the tbw components would be cost prohibitive.

·
Registered
568 Posts
We have 2 20 year old machines in the family and the cables show no signs of wear or impending failure. They get cleaned and lubed periodically and appear that they will last as long we have the machines.

What cables DON'T allow is for the "propeller beanie whiz kids" to control the throttle plate below 2500 rpm as is done with TBW. Among other irritations, the factory programming won't allow wide open throttle below 2500 rpm regardless of twist grip position. I have heard a few theories on this but my GUESS is that as the engines have gotten bigger (96 and 103), wide open throttle at low rpm has the potential of doing great damage to the crank shaft, compensator, primary drive and transmission that the engineers decided to make sure it couldn't be done inadvertently.

·
Registered
116 Posts
several times 2008 ultra went into a limp home mode on freeway. Worked properly only after shutting. This has happened on many occasion w/o apparent reasoning. No code showed up and dealer never did find anything wrong. Whats scary that by sheer luck I managed to pull over on shoulder w/o getting hit. One day I may not be lucky
Got codes? Limp home is the end result of another sensor reporting out of spec. If you know which.... Probably twist grip sensors if it happened while moving. A friend's bike kept having issues with limp home. Reseated the twist grip plug in the fairing...... Problem gone.

Also check to make sure the twist grip can't be moved to the right. I had mine on a little loose after changing switches. I got about a mile down the road and it went flat. No codes....

·
Registered
568 Posts
Also check to make sure the twist grip can't be moved to the right. I had mine on a little loose after changing switches. I got about a mile down the road and it went flat. No codes....
I'm not sure what that means. Did the gears in the grip and throttle sensor disengage? Much has been written about the opposite problem, the switch box being so far left that the twist grip binds and won't spring back to idle.

·
Registered
152 Posts
I have a 2008 Ultra Classic with 49,000 miles and have not expereinced any TBW issues. It has worked flawlessly. When the m/c was new, around 8,600 miles, I was cruising on I-10 when the engine quit running. I pulled to the emergency lane, turned off the ignition, then restarted it without any problem. After restarting the engine, the engine light would come on for a split second then go off. The dealer ended up replacing the ECM. The engineers in Milwaukee requsted the original ECM be sent to them, as the codes being reported should not have occured at the same time.

Since then, no issues with the ECM and no issues with the TBW. A friend of mine thought he had a throttle issue with his TBW, but it turned out that he had installed new grips and the right grip slipped back away from the TBW plastic wheel component on the tip of the right handle bar. Some riders don't know there is a right and left grip for the TBW m/c's and they try to force the left grip on the right side and damage the TBW system and plastic wheel. If the m/c is ever dropped on the right side, and the TBW grip strikes the ground, that may also cause damage to the TBW system.

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
You can stuff that TBW! I purposely bought my '07 'cause it was the only year with cables & 96" 6 speed. I don't want some stupid computer telling me how fast I can go, and the lag is a big PITA. Also, I don't trust it for the very reason of what happened to the OP. I have been riding since '72, and last Biketoberfest was the ONLY time I have EVER seen anyone with a broken throttle cable (Clutch yes, throttle NO) and THAT was on a non-Harley custom build. Will never own a TBW or cat bike.

·
Registered
37 Posts
There is a service bulletin out concerning this issue. TT418A: DTCs P2135 and P2101 Theory and Diagnostics. You should be able to google it and it may shed some light on things. I had a problem with mine and it ended up being the black and white sensor cnd wire from the ECM to the throttle body was broken internally right at the throttle body.

·
Iron Butt
1,124 Posts
For anyone with TBW this is something to keep in mind as it has left me stranded once and symptoms are starting again 3 years later.

You must disconnect the plug from throttle body behind the A/C and clean pins and apply dielectric grease.

Sometimes you wont be stranded but will get a "limp mode" on the throttle with no response.

Just re-posting so no one ever gets stuck like i did.

·
Registered
2 Posts
2009 road king, 3500 mi. Just bought it this month, I've been riding to and from work every day, no problems, yesterday I get between the bridges in San Pedro at the light, trucks to the left of and to the right, light turns green and bam, no throttle response. I flipped the hazards on and killed every thing, re fired right away and still no throttle response, so as I sit there thinking what's going to happen first the light turn red or have a truck up my ars. It so happened the light turned red. I limped my bike to the side of the road, re fired it up and no problem. Rode another 4 miles and again limp mode. I turned off the road and shut off and re started, and every thing was fine, now for the scary part, in the fast lane of the 91 fwy 65,70 mph, it hits again limp mode, if that's not enough to make you pucker up and eat some leather than your a bad ass dude. Some how I got over to the side of the fwy and limped my way home. Called the place where I got the bike and there going to pick it up today and drop me off a loaner until my king is up and safe again.
Just thought I would share a story with you and tell you all be careful and ride safe.

·
Registered
487 Posts
Throttle by wire is new to Harley's but has been rolling cages and 18 wheelers for many years. Not a useful comment but I am a blabber mouth.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts