V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I frequently see the phrase, "Taxes paid" on various websites. What exactly does this mean?

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
In some states, there is no sales tax on used vehicles (Arizona e.g.) In such a state, iif the sales tax is paid, you don't have to pay it agian. However, In other states, California for example, sales tax is assessed every time ownership changes (sellers/buyers don't always realize this). At 7-8%, in many states, it makes a pretty big difference, Also, it some states the license fee is referred to as a (property) tax, so could also mean this.

ps, for expensive cars, it also may mean the luxury tax, which is being phased out.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the info gbenner.:D . Taxes are paid on my ride.

·
Registered
347 Posts
What context was "taxes paid" used?

I've also seen the phrase used to mean that the "Harley Tax" had been paid. The Harley tax refers to the Stage 1 modifications (change air filter, mufflers, and rejet carb).

·
Registered
8,786 Posts
In Mass you have to transfer title within, I think 30 days of sale. This is to assure the state gets their 5% sales tax. You don't have to register the vehicle though. In some cases the buyer pays the seller the tax, like a licensed dealer, who then forwards the fee to the state. This can happen when buying out of state. The state would then forego the tax. ie; Taxes paid! (I think)

·
Registered
201 Posts
If yer talking Harley websites then 02 Sporty's explanation is what yer lookin for. Ya gotta "pay the tax" to get back what the EPA took away.

-jeff

·
Premium Member
1,552 Posts
As mentioned above in a couple of posts... The "Harley Tax" is a phrase that means you must take a crowbar to the pocket book to make them run as they should have from the factory. Intake and exhaust upgrades followed by rejetting is the norm.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks fella's, things about "Harley tax" are starting to make sense now.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts