V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Banned
873 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking at a .44 mag Taurus Tracker, 4" barrel.

Anyone used this gun, or any other taurus? I have no experience with them, just looking for opinions. I was also considering either a redhawk or blackhawk, or a Smith (625, 629?). But I found a brand new tracker for $399, and I like the way it looks and feels. How does it work?

Thanks guys.

·
Knower of Stuff
1,978 Posts
Never been a Taurus fan. There workmanship used to suck and the metal was not always top quality. Mind you that was 15 years ago, do not know about today, I stopped looking at them. Ruger and Smith both make an excellent gun. In the 44 mag, I like the Ruger, very solid gun.
p.s. Taurus used to be a cheap copy of the S&W made in Brazil.

·
Banned
873 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
FXDRYDR said:
For revolvers, suggest in order:

1. - Smith or Colt
2. - Ruger
I've been searching for Colt pistols and can't find anything. The only stuff on Colt's web site is military and LE. What's up with that?

So come one guys, tell me what you think the best .44 mag is.

·
Registered
9,250 Posts
Homar,

Colt caved to pressure form the antis and the Clinton administration and lost its way in the marketplace. Sales suffered, there's some distress and they cut their product offerings - in a nutshell. One can only hope that fine, old name will make its way back.

You'll have to find a good used Colt - and there are plenty out there. Both Colt and S&W quality and performance are outstanding. They're a cut above Ruger and maybe two above Taurus and anyone else IMHO.

I've owned a Ruger Redhawk 7 5/8"and liked it alot. It shot well, was robust and I really like the basic design. Simple. Easy to detail strip and reassemble. It's a big piece. My only gripe is that it's got a cast frame and I prefer forged/machined - and for me, that's a big issue. The Ruger is also a big pistola.

My S&W 629 6" is somewhat smaller, lighter, kicks a bit more because of it, has a more complex action/trigger assembly. I won't detail strip it because there are more small parts than I care to mess with. It's also got a smoother, better trigger pull, is as accurate as I can be and its fit/finish is outstanding. Balance and handling are also outstanding.

A friend's Colt Anaconda is every bit as well made - or even better than the Smith, and the action in the Colt is fabulous. I prefer the Smith for feel and handling - and that is a subjective thing.

You would not be disappointed with any of the three and I would encourage you to go to a local range where you could rent them, then see what you like. I would not even consider a Taurus as IMO, they are not in the same league.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I have a Taurus .38 snubby and have had 0 problems. I've fired thousands or rounds through it and am very pleased with the weapon.

·
Lighten up!
593 Posts
I have owned 2 pt92af's and they are excellent guns, granted they are semi auto's and not revolvers, but I would definitely trust them if I needed to use them.

I hold them in very high regard and I have owned alot of guns.

·
Premium Member
1,159 Posts
If you only shoot factory ammo, the Taurus is ok. If you reload, and like to push the limits of what the .44 mag is capable of, then the Ruger is a much better choice.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Homarr said:
I've been searching for Colt pistols and can't find anything. The only stuff on Colt's web site is military and LE. What's up with that?

So come one guys, tell me what you think the best .44 mag is.
Colt Anaconda 44, 4 in stainless, kinda heavy, but what a kick with the 44 magnum.

·
Registered
30 Posts
My favorite 44 is my Smith 29-2 in 44 mag.I have several 44 mags, but this is my favorite. Great all around gun Shoots well, Great to pack into the woods for scouting and camping. I carry it on my belt when I am deer or elk hunting, i have encountered a few black bears here in oregon So I actually trust my life to it.

·
N.R.A.
772 Posts
To answer your question directly, YES I have experience with Taurus revolvers. I have a .44 mag stainless Taurus revolver and it is extremely well made, durable (lifetime warranty, which I do not expect to use), and very nice looking. It even comes standard with a ported barrel. I can reommend Taurus without hestitation, PLUS they have balls and support our 2nd amendment rights, unlike S&W.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts