V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anybody have or have experience with the Judge? Thinking about buying one in 3" Magnum, probably a lightweight. What is the range or pattern/spread of the shot shell? Anybody shoot slugs? Are these rated for +p loads in the .45LC caliber? You only get 5 shots, and the .45LC isn't much of a performer anyway so are these just a play toy? Any troubles/ warranty issues? TIMINATOR

·
The Best Me I Can Be
22,357 Posts
From what I've read, the Governor is a superior gun, but I have no personal knowledge.

joe

·
Registered
1,597 Posts
It's more of a novelty. If I lived in an apartment I would use it as the first weapon of choice. The .410 rounds would not penetrate the walls into an adjacent room. But, with the short barrel the 410 will not stop anyone. All you can hope for is that it changes their mind.

That being said, I keep 410 in the first two holes and .45 in the others. In case their mind doesn't change.

·
Registered
93 Posts
The Judge makes a handy home defense or car revolver, there are loads made especially for the Judge that can do a lot of damage.

The unusual shape makes it difficult and uncomfortable to carry concealed. Plus P in .45 LC is around 1100 FPS and over 400 lbs of energy, nothing to ignore. The pistol is not a scatter gun, to be effective with this revolver you must aim.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Back in the day, I had a Thompson Contender with the 10" .410/.45 LC barrel. It wasn't too bad, as I used it on doves, snakes and mice, but even with the 10" barrel it was under powered, so I chamber reamed it to 3" mag shells, it was better, but after shooting a 3" Judge, I remember why I sold it. I don't want to stake my life on a shotshell that has very little penetration even at 15 feet. Thanks guys! I watched the Hickok45 video and decided to stay with my S&W M&P .40. TIMINATOR

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
We had an incident at my club with a Judge.

Our range chair was checking and found pieces of a firearm and and a indication of blood. Checking the parts, it was found to be from a Judge. As no one ever made any report to the club's Board, it's unknown what caused the firearm to blow up.

Not a fan of anything Taurus. We bought some of their 22 revolvers for training purposes. Not impressed.

·
The Best Me I Can Be
22,357 Posts
Gun-Tests has rated S&W's Governor a 'Gun of the Year' winner.

joe

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Wife wanted a lightweight carry piece, so I bought her a Taurus Titanium 5 shot revolver. I have always had top grade weapons, but figured that this is not gonna be something that is shot often, but carried all the time and finish worn out, so I cheaped out and didn't buy the S&W version, bad idea. Long story short, after about 40 rounds it would not impact the primers with enough force to fire, sometime it would fire after hitting the primer twice, then not at all. It is going back for warranty then up for sale. Never had any issues with S&W, Beretta, Colt or any other weapons I have owned. Nuff said...
P.S. after shooting a pals Judge, my opinion is that it is probably OK for hiker or backpacker trail protection from smaller animals/ snakes, but not a serious defense weapon, unless you live in an apartment. TIMINATOR

·
Registered
498 Posts
I know this is an old thread but....

I did not like how the Judge felt in my hand.. I could not get a good grip on it and the black "soft" handle felt a bit weird, very mushy...
The governor was a lot nicer, much better feel...….

·
Registered
3,119 Posts

I did not like how the Judge felt in my hand.. I could not get a good grip on it and the black "soft" handle felt a bit weird, very mushy...
I have noticed Most prefer it black, long and hard on the Governor.

·
The Best Me I Can Be
22,357 Posts

If I was looking to buy this style gun, I'd head straight for the Governor.

joe

1 - 18 of 18 Posts