V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
fourty three and seven...
3,465 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone here ever have an old H-D with a tank shift and foot clutch?

I am starting to achieve a chubby over some of the old tank shift bikes and thinking of a possible purchase, build or fake down the road.

Thinking PAN HEAD 1949-1957 Look with tank shift. Hydra glide look alike.

SMOOTH

·
Registered
116 Posts
Hi all,

Had a 1943 flat head. Riding an underpowered bike with a foot clutch is a very tricky business but might be a good Sunday bike

·
Premium Member
11,928 Posts
rode a flathead for two years with tank shift-suicide clutch. also had reverse.takes lots of tequila to mastr!

·
3,465 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have baited enough to reach the point of master.

Fishing season opens soon.

·
1,336 Posts
When I was a kid my dad had a police trike flat head 45". It thad the shifter. We use to cruise the thing around te back yard. It was 1975 version of a four wheeler now.:laugh:

·
Registered
35 Posts
My '61 FL was a hand shifter. It took me a little bit to adjust to the foot shift on the '06 after riding the Pan for so long..

·
Registered
906 Posts
claydbal said:
rode a flathead for two years with tank shift-suicide clutch. also had reverse.takes lots of tequila to mastr!
are you serious about that reverse? if so, how did that work?

·
Hellbound Train
5,595 Posts
claydbal said:
It was funny as hell putting one in reverse and letting it idle around in circles on the kick stand.

·
Premium Member
11,928 Posts
HDtwice said:
are you serious about that reverse? if so, how did that work?
simple, the servi-car transmissions had reverse and 3 forward. i had a servi-car trans in a rigid solo.pull the lever all the way back, let off the clutch, lean to the right slighty and hot shoe it backwards until you fall over.lol

·
Premium Member
11,928 Posts
P 0 P E Y E said:
I have baited enough to reach the point of master.

Fishing season opens soon.
ohhh, so you too had made it to the rank of master-baiter.

·
DHARMA Initiative
5,678 Posts
Mine is up beside the tank, but not attached to the tank. The shifter is connected to the down tube on the frame. Had it behind my leg for many years and move it up about 4 years ago.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Have a tank shift on a 1990 Heritage. I used the same shifter as Jockeyshift did. HD used that shifter up to 1978 on Police bikes. The rocker clutch was a little tricky to run the cable to, but it works well.

·
Premium Member
596 Posts
I had 39 Indian with a tank shift. I had a lot of fun with it until I bought a newer Harley with a standard foot shifter. Trying to go back and fourth between the two got a little hairy. I finally sold the Indian (big mistake).

·
Registered
1,335 Posts
P 0 P E Y E said:

I am starting to achieve a chubby over some of the old tank shift bikes and thinking of a possible purchase, build or fake down the road.

SMOOTH
i say get the fake one. you don't need to learn anything that way.it will look cool too.

·
3,465 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
jockeyshift said:
Mine is up beside the tank, but not attached to the tank. The shifter is connected to the down tube on the frame. Had it behind my leg for many years and move it up about 4 years ago.
Sounds like a plan, thanks for the responses people.

·
3,465 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Weasels said:
Have a tank shift on a 1990 Heritage. I used the same shifter as Jockeyshift did. HD used that shifter up to 1978 on Police bikes. The rocker clutch was a little tricky to run the cable to, but it works well.
Sounds real cool, got any pics?

·
Arrogant Bastard
1,264 Posts
P 0 P E Y E said:

SMOOTH
I never got past the disgusting mental image of Popeye with a chubby.:puke: :eek:

Joe

1 - 20 of 28 Posts