V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys my winter project is starting up north. I'm putting on new paint and want to take off the parts myself. It's an 02' FXSTBI and no I don't have the service manual for it. That's why I'm posting. I'm hoping to save $65.00 and find out what I need here.

I'm only worried about the tank area and electricals around it. Looking for tips in getting the fuel gauge out, tools I might need, and trouble spots to watch out for.

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
684 Posts
Should be quite easy....1/2 in to take off the nut holding the dash on..take off the tank pouch. By the way drain the tank 1st. Disconnect the crossover lines and overflow in the middle. Should be 4 bolts holding it on...The guages generally unplug and can be set aside. Once you start to take off parts you will see how easy it really is.

CHEERS
FXST99

·
Registered
1,893 Posts
Once the tank is off replace that pain in the a$$ crossover with a quick connect unit and you will thank yourself over and over. Never have to drain tank again.

·
Seasoned Something
149 Posts
Can someone post a picture of the quick disconnect, I have braieded cable on my cross over and draining the tank was the worst part of the whole job. I ended up pulling the whole fuel petcock to drain mine.
bob

·
Registered
18 Posts
Draining Tank

FYI

I just drained my tank for the first time and wasn't aware of the vacuum controlled diaphram. After reading some posts in the forums. I did the following:
I loosened the fuel petcock bolt just enough to turn it around to get exposure to the four screws holding the diaphram in. I removed the four screws and removed the spring (temporary) and put the diaphram back in and all four screws.

I attached a 3 ft clear hose to the petcock nipple and put it in to a 5 gallon gas can. Turned on the valve and presto a nice flow of gas. Drained a full tank within 5 mins

·
Registered
259 Posts
Suppose I were to clamp the crossover hose, then disconnect it, then pull the tank off and dump the gas out? I hate to have to perform surgery on the vacuum thingy just to drain the friggin' gas.

·
Registered
259 Posts
Or how 'bout this: siphon the gas out first with a tube, enough so that you only spill a few drops when you disconnect the crossover. Then pull the tank off and shake out the rest of the gas. Viola! No surgery required.

·
Registered
48 Posts
I can not vouch for the safety of what I did when I drained my tank but here it is:
1. Placed bike in a well ventilated area
2. I disconnected the fueline that connects the petcock to the carb at the petcock
3. I place a clear plastic hose from the petcock to a fuel container and turned the petcock to reserve postion
4. I removed the vacuum line from the petcock (this is the line that is approximately an 1/8" in diameter that is behind the fuel line)
5. I placed a shop vac as far away from the gas tank and fuel container as possible
6. I placed the vacumm line from the petcock at the entry of the shop vac's hose and turned on the shop vac.
7. watching the gas flow in the clear plastic line I adjusted the seal around the vacuum line and shop vac's hose with my hand. I did not want to create to much of a vacuum since it could rupture the diaphram so I kept the clear line at about 3/4 full.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Well, you guys got me interested in pulling the gas tank, since I wanted to check some bolts under neath and change a couple of things so...I followed everyone's advice and did it when I got home tonight. I did find a couple of tricks to draining the gas tank that I would like to pass along. The manual says to pull the vacuum hose and put a hand opperated vacuum pump to get the gas to flow due to the diaphram in the petcock. I found a hand opperated one and used it, BUT I also found out that by sucking on the 3/16 hose that I used to connect to the vacumm line on the petcock I could control the diaphram doing that also. I used a 1/4 inch gas line to drain the gas into a gas can and a 3/16 hose to control the vacuum. No gas or fumes, of course, is coming out of the line from the vacuum, so it's quite safe. I know--I suck! But it did work just fine. Doesn't seem to take much vacuum to open up the petcock and allow the gas to flow. Alvin

1 - 13 of 13 Posts