V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm planning on putting on my Passing Lamps this weekend on my 04 Wide Glide. I first need to remove my gas tank, I have a service manual but I'm still unclear about the console removal.
Even though the service manual doesn't address just the console removal, I'm guessing that you can remove the console without removing the speedo by simply disconnecting the harness? Can someone give some insight on what I might run into when removing the tank? Any secret stuff to make it easier? How about some words of wisdom!
I'll try to take lots of photos and post them when completed.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I installed the wires under the gas tank on an ultra classic by removing the gas tank bolts and lifting the tank up, working the wires under the tank. Fuel lines were left connected. I am not sure that you can do this on the 04 Wide Glide.

·
Premium Member
33 Posts
Pulling the console off is really pretty easy, everything plugs in. However, that being said, larrvj is correct. If you only need to access the harness then another set of hands can pull the tank up a bit and out of the way once to unhook the main fuel line which is just a fitting like an air tool used. (At least on the 06's) In other words you just pull the sleeve down and the line pops off. Once you pull the main line loose and unbolt the tank, you can scoot the tank back about 5-6 inches to get easier access to the harness. You will kind of have "work" the tank loose to pull it back, but it is pretty easy to do.

·
Life is what you make it
3,568 Posts
I am not sure on the wide glide but on my dyna fxdl I could pull the harness right up through the neck and everything just unplugged ? There should be good directions in the shop manual, you do have a shop manual right? Not trying to be a smart ass but if you are gonna frigg with your bike gotta have a shop manual, cheap investment.

·
Registered
179 Posts
I have a 05 DWGI and took the tank off yesterday. I don't know for sure what wires you need to get to but taking the tank off is fairly simple, just takes some time. I had to take my seat off to get to the bolt holding the leather strap thing down. Then take off the two allen screws from the console. The unit can be laid over on the left side without removing any wire connections, no big deal, just didn't have to do it. I unpluged the main fuel line, air hose type coupler, then the crossover line. This was a mess as gas comes out both sides. I drained one side and held a finger over the nipple, then put another rubber line on the nipple and drained that side. There is an air breather??? to unhook that goes in the top of the tank. Bolts top and bottom of the tank come out, hold the tank up with a block of wood and unplug the, I think it is the fuel level gage. The tank should come off. If you need to go deeper into it to pull wires, let me know as I did that too and learned some tricks.

·
Banned
21,644 Posts
Don't know FXDWG but on FLHR just a allen bolt and a nut to lift up console then connector underneath. Be careful this connector can come loose when screwing around. If you turn the key and nothing happens, you will know.

What happened to this not being a technical section? Just given up?

·
Registered
181 Posts
Fuel Crossover Tube

I apologize for injecting a question in the middle of this thread, but while everyone is talking about removing a fuel tank, it seemed appropriate.

I plan to remove my Wide Glide tank in the near future to access some of the wiring harness plugs. My biggest concern is replacing the fuel crossover tube since I don't have a tool to crimp on new connectors. I noticed that Harley offers a stainless steel braided crossover tube equipped with what appears to be some type of compression fittings on each end. Can these be installed using just a plain wrench or two?

·
Registered
179 Posts
I have seen regular worm screw clamps used by our local HD dealer and that is what I will use but, I am going to check into the braided lines to match my cables.

·
Banned
21,644 Posts
I used regular house clamps. I would look for black ones next time. But I never really notice it. As for braided cool line, may look cool may draw attention to the hose. The black hose you never notice.

·
Premium Member
13 Posts
If you are going to pull the wiring harness thru the frame you will have to remove the seat and cut the wire ties holding it in place. There is also a rubber plug on the other side of the frame from where the harness exits under the tank that is wire tied onto the harness and needs to be cut off. I would suggest that you remove the tank to pull the harness thru as well because it does not pull thru easily. There is a tight bend where it comes out of the frame under the seat and it does not pull thru unless you feed it thru. Pulling it back thru towards the seat is a little more difficult because the connectors for the switch harness, turn signal, and headlight are all staggered on the main harness and need to be fed thru the frame carefully so you don't pull them apart. Unfortunately I'm not sure how far down the main harness you need to go to install these lights. This is not a real hard job but I suggest reviewing the pictorials in the service manual before attempting. Also, I have the front of my tank lifted by a 2" bracket and replaced the stock crossover line using 1/2" stainless hose clamps to hold it on without leaking.

S.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Oaksmith, I just finished installing the HD engine guard mounted halogen fog lamp kit on my '02 Dyna T-Sport today. The instructions say to remove the fuel tank. The only reason it needs to come off is to make it easier to run the wiring harness to the front. I found that by loosening the rear tank bolt and removing the front bolt I could raise up the front of the tank (stuck a big rag under the front to hold it up) enough so I could snake the harness forward along the frame under the left side of the tank. There is already a harness running along there and there is plenty of room for the lamp harness. You can use zip ties to hold them together. With the tank back in place I can still wiggle the harness so I know it is not pinched. Save yourself the ag of all the extra fuel line removal,etc. and try it. I know the Wide Glide has a different tank but you should be able to do it. .......Good luck.......'Bean

·
Registered
344 Posts
n2trainz said:
I apologize for injecting a question in the middle of this thread, but while everyone is talking about removing a fuel tank, it seemed appropriate.

I plan to remove my Wide Glide tank in the near future to access some of the wiring harness plugs. My biggest concern is replacing the fuel crossover tube since I don't have a tool to crimp on new connectors. I noticed that Harley offers a stainless steel braided crossover tube equipped with what appears to be some type of compression fittings on each end. Can these be installed using just a plain wrench or two?
others mentioned the option of just using regular black fuel line and a couple hose clamps... that certainly will work.

There are two part numbers for crossover lines for the Dyna, one for WG and one for the rest. I ordered a non HD first "fits all Dyna '99 and up" ... it was too short. I went to my dealer and ordered the one for the WG, after waiting two weeks, I changed my order to some other brand.
There are companies out there making crossovers with the same quick connect type fitting as the main fuel line. They are a bit more expensive, but what the hell, I went for it. I figure if I ever have to take the tank off again, at least I wont spill gas all over the place getting the last bits out before taking the crossover off.
Its a pretty slick deal, and there is only one part number for all Dyna's. ... the hose is extra long and you just cut it down to the right size. It is steel braided, so I wrapped the cut area with a few turns of electrical tape and used a hacksaw... took about 30 seconds to cut. The ends are clamped with regular hose clamps, but the come with a nice little cover so only the screw is exposed.
Of course, as I was putting it on last night, I had to wonder about clearance for when I do take the tank off again. Since there is a quick connect in the middle of the line, there is only about 1.5 to 2" of actual hose on each end... it will be interesting to see how easily they will slip by the frame as the tank comes off... it may take a helper to spread the lines out of the way as you lift the tank off.

If anyone is interested, I can look at my receipt for the actual brand - I ordered it through the dealer.

·
The Viking
89 Posts
n2trainz said:

I've tried one of these braided cross overs and decided to take it back off and fit the original black rubber with the proper pipe clips.

The braided crossover was far to short and it was also relying on a compression fitting which in my opinion could easily come loose.(Dangerous)
did'nt fancy having fuel spouting over a red hot engine:thumbsdn:

·
The Viking
89 Posts
Passing lights

oaksmith said:
I'm planning on putting on my Passing Lamps this weekend on my 04 Wide Glide. I first need to remove my gas tank, I have a service manual but I'm still unclear about the console removal.
Even though the service manual doesn't address just the console removal, I'm guessing that you can remove the console without removing the speedo by simply disconnecting the harness? Can someone give some insight on what I might run into when removing the tank? Any secret stuff to make it easier? How about some words of wisdom!
I'll try to take lots of photos and post them when completed.

OAKSMITH..........it really is easy, and it is best to take the tank off. You don't have to disconnect and take the consul right off just loosen it lie it forward over the handle bars wrapped in an old towel or cloth.

Before you diss the fuel lines syphon the gas out, but still be prepared for spillage.

Be sure before you make any start that you diss the battery first.

I put my passing lights on last year and they look great. I did'nt use the switch though I just left that out as not only does it look ugly but I wanted the light on all the time. Lets people see me coming:D

Good luck

1 - 15 of 15 Posts