V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello.

Does anybody know how h-d oem tank decals are supposed to be installed? Are the decals just stickers or something else? They sure do look like something else, since the "business" side of the decal is covered with paper and the supposed back side seems to be covered with some kind of clear plastic.

BR,
Samppa
--
FXSTS '95 -Under Construction
FXSTB '00 -Gone
FXD '99 -Gone
XLH '96 -Gone...

·
Registered
194 Posts
Not 100% sure.....but it looks like they paint the tank, apply the decals, then they clear coat the whole works.

I believe the "backside" covering of the decal is to cover the adhesive until you are ready to apply it. The "bussiness" side is covered so that once the decal is applied, the covering protects the "bussiness" side from the plastic sqweegy (sp???) they use to apply it with. You know.....similiar to applying wallpaper? Then that covering is removed and your left with a decal firmly in place without any scuffs.

·
Registered
56 Posts
In my parts book for my FXST it list all the decals for the softail line, with the exception of the softail standard(mine). They say that this is "silk-screened" and is not a decal. Can't tell you what the difference is. I always thought that "silk-screened" was something that was done to a T-shirt. I'm a little confused about the difference. They also refer to it as a medallion, not as a decal. Any body tell me the difference? Alvin

·
Registered
236 Posts
Don't know which they do on the tank. But for this discussion, the silk-screen is a method of laying down paint (or ink for T-Shirts). So if it is silk-screened, it is paint that has been masked on, if it is a decal, then we all know how that is done. I know for the 100th anniversary models it is a decal. I hear that HD has that stuff locked up in a safe and is very protective of it. Go figure...

·
Registered
246 Posts
Decal Removal

I think its almost impossible to remove a decal without damaging the basecoat. However with Harleys 9 coats of clear I have seen the clear wet sanded then new paint graphics applied overtop to cover it up for that custom look. I do not care for this technique as a small custom shop we strip all down to the metal and start from scratch. Once you hit the decal you need to keep going to remove all of it so now your another step closer to stripping everything. Good Luck.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts