V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
357 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've ordered a rear fender bib for my 2000 FXR4 from Mustang but can't find one for the tank from anyone or anywhere :-(

On the 2000 the tank has a large wide strip of chrome that runs from the gauges to the saddle and when the sun is just right the damn thing is BLINDING !!!
Besides that, I think it looks cheap, shinny, but cheap.

Anyone know where I might look to find a tank bib or other option ???

Thanks,
Mikey

·
In disguise
2,727 Posts
Buelligan is right. I looked in the J&P catalog (paper) and they have a leather cover for the chrome dash panel like on your FXR. Covers the entire center piece, wrapping around the raised instrument console piece.

·
Registered
357 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for you pointers

I went to the basement and dug out my old cats .... found an old JP Cycle one from 2001 ... WOW

So I went to their site today and ordered a new one. Reason is that when looking online I don't seem to be able to find one that I'm sure will fit my bike. Also the online pictures suck, seems the paper cats are far better than the online versions.

Thanks again,
Mikey

·
Registered
66 Posts
fxr4mikey said:
I went to the basement and dug out my old cats .... found an old JP Cycle one from 2001 ... WOW

So I went to their site today and ordered a new one. Reason is that when looking online I don't seem to be able to find one that I'm sure will fit my bike. Also the online pictures suck, seems the paper cats are far better than the online versions.

Thanks again,
Mikey
Check these guys. If they don't have it, they can make it in the back room.

http://www.lutzsleather.com/

I'm going to have them make a set of custom saddlebags, but don't have any personal experience yet other than to stop in and see their work, which looks good. A co-worker has bought from them and highly recommends them.

·
Registered
357 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks - got pictures ?

Naear said:
Got me a tank chap from these guys couple months ago for less then 35 bucks has a eagle on it.
Very nice backing that wont scrach your paint.
http://www.saddlemen.com/harleyindex.html

Thanks for that lead. I was looking for their phone number. I went to the HD dealer cause they carrier saddlemen under Drag Specialties. The dealer called them, then called me back, and said that they didn't have one that was designed to fit my bike. That I MIGHT be able to make one of the Desperado one work. But I buy it at my risk.

If you have any pictures of yours I'd really be happy to see them.

Thanks,
Mikey

·
Registered
357 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
it won't fit my bike

Naear said:
Got me a tank chap from these guys couple months ago for less then 35 bucks has a eagle on it.

I called them today ..... they told me that none of their tank chaps would fit on the 2000 fxr4 :-(

I'm still looking ....... maybe that other lead, get a custom one made. Another option that I'm checking into is an insert .......... I don't know exactly how that works, but I'm gonna find out.

Thanks for the lead !!

·
Registered
65 Posts
n/p

Glad that link did help ya sort of.
Sorry to hear they don't offer one for your model I will try to get a picture of my tank bib this weekend and post it here.

·
Registered
357 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks Much !!

Naear said:
Glad that link did help ya sort of.
Sorry to hear they don't offer one for your model I will try to get a picture of my tank bib this weekend and post it here.

Thanks for the lead, and I look forward to seeing your pictures..... I'll keep looking and I'm sure that I'll find one somewhere, someplace, or that I'll find a place where I can get a custom one made.....

Thanks for you leads and your input !!

Mikey

·
Registered
357 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
exactly !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Naear said:
Heres my saddlemen tank chap for my 1988 fxrs.

EXACTLY ...... LOOKS JUST LIKE MY DASH !!!

I don't know why that won't fit on my bike ??
I can't see any difference in those pictures than what my dash looks like....
I'll post a couple of pictures later today/tonight, see what you think.

Thanks for posting the pictures !!!!!

Mikey

·
Registered
65 Posts
Cool

Maybe you can get one from them just order it for same year as my bike.
I had to wait for awhile before it was shipped but it was worth it.
They only had the eagle I had asked about the flame one but wasen't able to get that one.
Id be happy to take some measurements of the dash/tank area if needed.

·
Registered
357 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
yeah, if you wouldn't mind

Naear said:
Maybe you can get one from them just order it for same year as my bike.
I had to wait for awhile before it was shipped but it was worth it.
They only had the eagle I had asked about the flame one but wasen't able to get that one.
Id be happy to take some measurements of the dash/tank area if needed.
Measurement would be GREATLY APPRECIATED !!

If you wouldn't mind I'd really appreciate that !!

Please measure the width of the gauges, and height, the length of the tank, where the chap hooks on the front down to the mounting at the seat. And anything else that you might think of that would help me,

Is that a 4.5 gal gas tank ?

What year is your bike ? (edited - my bad, I guess I should have read your post besides just looking at the pics, I see that it's an '88')

Dude I really like that color on your bike too!!

THANKS for your help and taking the time to post !!

·
Registered
65 Posts
tank chap

Ok from edge of tach/speedo to the center line of bolts is 12.5".
Center if bolt to center of bolt is 4"
(edit tach speedo housing is 4.250" wide and 9" lg total lengh of chap is over
21" this is going off my old chap the new one is longer in the front from speedo side out)
Candy rootbeer is the color I went with just had her painted last winter thanks for the thumbs up.
No problem glad to help

·
Registered
65 Posts
tank chap

Yeah manual says 4.2 gal tank the measurements I took around the tach/speedo housing are the outside of the housing.
It left a imprint on the old leather chap.

·
Registered
357 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
not looking to promising

Naear said:
Ok from edge of tach/speedo to the center line of bolts is 12.5".
Center if bolt to center of bolt is 4"
(edit tach speedo housing is 4.250" wide and 9" lg total lengh of chap is over
21" this is going off my old chap the new one is longer in the front from speedo side out)
Candy rootbeer is the color I went with just had her painted last winter thanks for the thumbs up.
No problem glad to help

ut oh, it's not looking to promising

from the rubber gasket on the tach to the mounting bolts it is 13 inches (1/2 inch longer than yours)

center to center of mounting bolts is 4 inches (same as yours)

the gauge housing is 4.25 inches wide (same as yours)

it is hard to get a good measurement of the housing because of the angle at which it rises from the gas tank. But the best that I could measure it (with a cloth tape) is is 9.5 inches long (1/2 inch longer than yours)

Best I could measure from the front of the speedo housing to the tank mounting bolts it is 23 inches, and this is taken with a cloth tape following the cure of the front of the tank (2 inches longer than yours

·
Registered
65 Posts

Well goodluck finding a chap I think its pretty close to the same size chap as for my model 30 some bucks to find out.

·
Registered
357 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
gonna try it

Naear said:
Well goodluck finding a chap I think its pretty close to the same size chap as for my model 30 some bucks to find out.
I'm gonna ck on return policy ..... I might just get one any way and see if it would fit, seems that it would

how does it attach in the front ?

does it go under the gauge console ?
did you have to unscrew the console ?

Thanks for your help !!

I still like that color on your bike man, ITs THE BOMB !!

·
Registered
357 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
part numbers

Naear said:

did you order directly from that website ?

i didn't think that saddlemen sold to retail customers ?

where did you find the part number for the chap that you ordered ?

I went to that site, but I don't find any part numbers there, what am I missing ?

Thanks in advance !

Mikey

1 - 20 of 26 Posts