V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have a police glide and was going to take off the bumper yesterday and noticed that it looks like the factory bent some tabs so th nuts wont come off. anybody have a easy way to get the bumper off with out taking off the front wheel?

·
Road Captain
6,628 Posts
...easy way is to take the front wheel off.

·
Registered
246 Posts
You might be able to use a long flat-blade screwdriver to go in from the other side and push the corners down. I have a Road King myself and was able to bend them down enough to be able to get a socket on the bolts. Turning the bolts loose flattened them the rest of the way. When I put the fender back on, I left those tabs off and just used medium-strength (blue) loctite. Haven't had any problems in 10k miles.

Your only other alternative I can see is to jack the bike up and take the front wheel off, providing full access to the tabs.

·
Road Captain
6,628 Posts
ww1flyingace said:
When you take the bumper off, are there any holes left exposed? Or does it come off cleanly?
...it comes off clean. If you remove the light and trim you have holes.

·
Premium Member
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
no lift for christmas, couple of harley shirts though. look like the wheels coming off, thanks fellas.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Harley recommends taking the front wheel off. It's not that big a deal.

If you decide to take the rear bumper off, you will need to get a hidden brace to replace it, and the rear bumper holds a bunch of stuff in place. The brace is 41.00 for HD. Here is a pic of it.

Regards,

Bill

·
Premium octane member
7,381 Posts
Here a look at mine,,,its is highly recomended...Its one of the subtle difference that make the whole bike look better...JMOI

·
Premium Member
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
might get to the rear one too. dont really know why you need bumpers on a bike you know? $41 for that brace, harley tax rears itself every time i tinker with this thing.:badmood:

·
Registered
165 Posts
If I found the right invoice, the part number is 91140-04. It shows on the invoice to be BRACKET,SADDLE and the price is 41.95.

I have so many invoices that I'm not positive that this is the one, but it looks right and the price is right.

Regards,

Bill

·
Premium Member
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
ok i got to the rear this past weekend. put on the softbrake plate relocator and took off the bumper too, looks wayyy better. how important is it to put on that new hidden brace anyways? it seems fairly sturdy now with nothing cross bracing the fender/rear pipes now. if not do you have a link for Zanottie so i can order the $25 brace. now i need to look into some type of way to clean up that bar that used to hold the plate on, i.e. the tail gunner thing. dont really need the lights maybe some spikes back there or something instead of lights i think.

·
Registered
165 Posts
It is pretty important to use the brace. Without it the muffler and saddle bag holders will spread and weaken from vibration and road bumps and eventually something will fail.

I didn't use the brace when I first took my bumper off, and when I did get the brace, I found that the saddlebag/muffler brackets had spread enought that I had to pull them back together to get the hidden brace on.

Regards,

Bill

1 - 18 of 18 Posts