V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Premium Member
527 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone make a kit to allow quick removal of the saddlebags and a dress kit once removed? I like my bags on trips, but want them off around town.

·
Registered
4,089 Posts

The Bags should just clip off from the inside......
Ignore that.
I'm guessing you're after a Dress up kit, to tart the rear end up 'after' the bags are removed?

·
Premium Member
527 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
harleyhog said:

The Bags should just clip off from the inside......
Ignore that.
I'm guessing you're after a Dress up kit, to tart the rear end up 'after' the bags are removed?
Yes, looking for a dress up kit when the bags are removed.

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
There have been a number of threads on this subject. I am not aware of any such kit, but would be interested if there is one. So far the best advice I remember was "get a Heritage" (LOL).

G

·
The RK is a full blown bagger. It was designed for the bags to remain on..

There is no "dress up kit".

If you want a "convertible" buy a Heritage. Then you can buy a dress down kit.

·
Premium Member
527 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
MilesOfSmiles said:
The RK is a full blown bagger. It was designed for the bags to remain on..

There is no "dress up kit".

If you want a "convertible" buy a Heritage. Then you can buy a dress down kit.
I wanted the touring bike...not the Heritage. If nothing is out there, then we will find who can make it.....

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
HDVette, based on the number of times I have heard this the question, you may have a good idea. When I have looked at mine with the bags off, the 1st thing I notice is the saddlebag crash bars, seems like they would need to be removed to make it look good. Maybe chrome the lower bag rail which holds the muffler? Also, the drive pully should be chromed, but that would be no big deal. Chrome shocks (or shock covers) should also be easy (maybe not cheap though).

If a kit doesn't exist. it might be because it gets too expensive? You might try one of the specialty suppliers and see if they have ever thought of it. Road Kings seem to be getting much more popular.

·
Premium Member
527 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The RKC needs an aftermarket kit that allows the bags to be easily R&R'd, and a dresser kit for when they are off. Bottom line, can't believe with all the Harley aftermarket options out there, this doesn't exist. It will once I get completed.

·
Registered
9,186 Posts
In the good ole days it was not about a "kit". Folks just customized their bikes to suite the individual taste.

·
Registered
37 Posts
i have seen such a bike dressed out as such on ebay one time. Either there is a kit out there are this guy did all of the custom work himself. It looked damn good. I wish I would have saved that picture.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Before I got my RKC I had a Royal Star Classic. Came with huge bags, and was actaully a pretty nice bike...

I wanted a different look so I went down to "Dragon Motorcycles" in Ft.Lauderdale and they made me ball milled, chromed billet muffler hangers...just like what the RK would need if bags were to be removed and it to look decent...

However, I've been unable to locate these guys...I don't know if they're outta' business or what..

If done right...the RK would look insane without bags along with good detail muffler hangers...but, I love the way it looks as is...

It's all about what you want...that's the beauty of all the Harleys. While there may be a lot of a paticular model, it's the owner's accessories and stuff that make 'em all stand out...

Buckethead...

·
'05 Road King Classic
806 Posts
This was from a reply from a thread I starded called "saddle bag removal"

Cheers,
Dennis E.

With the bags removed, the brackets are exposed and the bike appears unfinished...

But, check this kit out. I recently came across it and I think it actually might work out quite nicely. The only draw back is the price, but then again, just about everything you can buy for these bikes is expensive anyways...

http://www.bruisersinc.com/id7.html

I think the RK looks pretty cool with that kit installed!

E

·
Banned
21,644 Posts
Still doesn't look that good, in my opinion looked better with bags.
Get some chrome trim or something for the bags. I got the chrome lid rail.

But if you want to take the bags off I think its going to be more then just a kit. Going to have to take off the saddlebag support.
Need something better looking for the bar going to the muffler. Bigger fenders would look better also.
I don't see it beign easy or cheap, or worth it. Me I practially live on my bike. Grocery shopping. Would never want to be without bags. I always got stuff in there, including tools. It nice to storage if you make an unplanned stop at the store too.

Good luck let us know the outcome good or ill.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

1 - 20 of 24 Posts