V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm getting ready to purchase saddle bags for my 02 FDXL and have to have the tail lights relocated to the lic plate. Has anyone had this done by the dealership? Any problems? Is this a 1/2 hour job or hours?
They will install the bags.

I've been looking for a dyna with the tail lights changed but have not seen one as yet.

Thanks
Ray

·
Registered
695 Posts
Ray B,
I just got the go ahead to get saddlebags for my 2003 FXDWG. I want saddlebags but I'm not crazy about relocating my rear signals to the license plate. I have the 2002 HD catalog and can't figure what bags will work best. Which bags (could you tell me what page they're on) did you decide on?

LowFlyer,
Did you have to relocate your rear signals also? From your picture it looks like you have the saddlebags on page #212, "B". I'm having some difficulty figuring out what will or not fit. Like for example: it will not fit with axle nut covers or sideplates.

Could either of you give me a hand?

·
Registered
162 Posts
I relocated my taillights (2002 FXDWG) and I can assure you that it ain't a 30 minute job. I used the factory relocation kit and cannot speak to any aftermarket relocation kits. The main problem that I encountered was that the OEM taillights wouldn't thread onto the new bracket extensions (different threading). This is a case of H-D modifying the taillight mounting system but NOT modifying the relocation kit. I ended up having to buy new taillights. A suggestion -- when you buy the extension kit, have your parts guy "show" you how the extension bracket fits into the taillight (I found that my parts guy knew nothing about the problem until I tormented him about the issue -- had to educate him on the problem). And (old advice that I foolishly ignored) I'd assemble the extension brackets, mounting bolts and taillights off the bike first to make sure it all goes together as it should. But it all worked out in the end and I think my ride looks great. By the way, I tried to go cheap and originally bought "synthetic leather" bags. This, of course, means vinyl. Absolute crap and they melted onto my pipes. Lesson learned....

·
Registered
695 Posts
Oaktown,
My dealer got someone else's Black 03 FXDWG in (the same bike I ordered) and I looked it over real good by having the parts guy hold up all the different saddlebags to the bike while I took pictures. I took the pictures home, looked over every pic and didn't like any of them (just my opinion). I like the way the bike looks without saddlebags so I'm going to start looking at bags that look like the T-Bag.
Sounds like you had quite a time with your tail light relocation kit and the deal with having to educate the parts guy couldn't have been any fun. I am glad to hear that you did get it all working. Have you posted a pic of your bike anywhere?

·
Registered
695 Posts
I don't think I'll ever be able to afford "fancy". I just darn glad I'll be finally getting my Harley. To me ridin' a Harley is the most important thing. I'm guessing that you have a real nice bike. Nothing wrong with being humble, it's a great quality.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Saddlebags

Cox9000:

I agree about your saddlebag comment: I have a 2001 Wide Glide and thought about bags for it, but I don't like the look. I bought an expandable T-bag and it's plenty big enough for storage and doesn't infringe on comfort room for my lady when we're riding together. The saddlebag supports that Harley and the aftermarket sellers use that bolt on necessitate the relocation of the rear turn signals. I bought a set and am thinking about adapting them to fit the fender mounting bolts so I don't have to relocate the signals. That way they would be easily removable.

Any way, I'm with you on the looks of my 'Glide without the bags, much cleaner!

:D

·
Registered
695 Posts
WideGlider,
Well Alrigh-ty then. It's good to hear that another person thinks or feels like I do about the saddlebags on the Wide Glide. Thanks for telling me about your expandable T-Bag -- makes me feel better about the decision I made. Heck Fire! Maybe there's other people out there that share our opinion -- HA!
How's the riding weather out there in your area been so far?

·
Registered
176 Posts
Riding Weather

Cox 9000:

The weather out here has been hotter than blazes lately, over a hundred degrees and a little humid. The only good time to ride is early mornings 'till about 10:00, then the sun really starts to cook! We'll have this for about the next 6 - 8 weeks then it will start getting pleasant again. At least we don't have to worry about bad winters. I love it, you can ride year round with few exceptions! Winter in So. Cal. is not winter at all! Have a great weekend!

:D

·
Registered
695 Posts
Good to hear that you're keeping an up-beat positive attitude about the heat HA! (hotter than blazes) That sounds good, has a nice ring to it. Yeah you're one of the lucky ones living in an area where you can ride all year. By the time I get my bike it's going to start getting cold. I'm just going to ride anyway even if I do look like a dork riding down the highway looking like I'm dressed to hunt Polar Bear.
Ride safe dude and stay as cool as you can.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.