V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,593 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I installed a Baron Bullet Tachometer on my '06 softail with EFI yesterday. I hooked up voltage and ground, and I attached the signal wire to the Front Cylinder wire on the connector going to the coil.

The tachometer works, but it is only reading 1/2 the rpms it should (idleing at 500 rpm and redlining at 2800ish. cruise is at 1500 instead of 3000)

Does EFI use a single fire coil? Do I need to buy the "converter"? How exactly does it work?

My first thought was to slap a diode on the wire going from the coil to the signal wire for the tach... if I did this with both coil wires, then the tach would see the signal from both cylinders and read the correct rpm, maybe.

·
The OTHER White Meat.
1,704 Posts
$42 bucks for six pieces of wire and some shrink tubing???:yikes:

Someone just post a diagram!:blink:

·
Registered
3,920 Posts
duhast said:
$42 bucks for six pieces of wire and some shrink tubing???:yikes:

Someone just post a diagram!:blink:
the wires and shrink wrap are only worth $3, it's the instructions that come with them that must make up the rest of the cost. without them they're just wires and shrink wrap.

good luck getting your problem solved, pardon my humor.

·
Premium Member
1,593 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The problem isn't the wires and shrink wrap, it's the chip on the small board UNDER the shrink wrap that gets 'ya.

Wish J&P cycles would have told me I needed it when I was placing my purchase... the guy on the phone even asked what bike I was riding.

I guess until it comes in, I'll just keep doing the math in my head... Let's see 2,723 rpms X 2 is... ummm...

·
Premium Member
1,593 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It's been a LONG time, but after installing the 2-1 converter for my tachometer (a year ago now) my tachometer bounced all over the place.

It seems this was NOT the correct way of hooking a tachometer up to my motorcycle.

After dad got his new HD tachometer for christmas this year, we went to install it on his '06 wide glide (same speedometer setup as my bike).

We went through the instructions until we got to one that said "hook signal wire up to signal under dash". Well... there was no signal under the dash... no pink wires anywhere, and there was no "tachometer signal" being shown on the manual's diagram.

So, we went up to the dealer and talked to a mechanic... he had this problem too and was able to call HD's dealer tech help line, where the guy on the other end told him that the instructions that come with the tach are wrong! (go figure)

He said that we needed to disassemble the connector going into the speedometer and that one of the empty pins had the tach signal coming out of it, and that's where we needed to connect the tach signal wire, but he couldn't remember which pin... so we had to try all of the empty pins.

It ended up being Pin 3.

So, to shorten the rest of the story... I bought some of the little plugs that go into the connector, and put that on the end of my signal wire on my tach, and stuck it into the empty hole on Pin 3 on the connector, and now my tachometer has a nice pretty solid needle... from idle all the way up to rev-limiter.

Hope this helps someone else with wiring up their tachs.

·
Registered
487 Posts
you can pick up tach signal at the ecm by getting conector from local stealer don't have the number in front of me and installing into ecm connector pin 10 comes to mind but i would have to look it up again cost under $2.00

·
Registered
4,741 Posts
Otto said:
you can pick up tach signal at the ecm by getting conector from local stealer don't have the number in front of me and installing into ecm connector pin 10 comes to mind but i would have to look it up again cost under $2.00
Otto,
It was pin #3 on my ecm when you hooked up my shift light. We found it on the ecm block diagram as tach send. Don't remember the ecm pin part # either but Kev had figured it out and I got them from him. Piece of cake once you know this. ;)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts