V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On page 435 of the 03 "book" they list a billet mount for a mini tach for a road king. However, both this and the tachometer itself have language indicating that it will NOT fit a road king with "fat" handlebars (I have Chubby 508s). One alt. is the new dual speedo/tach (page 434), but from a post a couple months ago, wasn't sure if they worked well. Also, the picture seems to indicate a redline of 5600 or so, would rather have indicated 6,000+ , just cosmetic, but still........

I kinda like the separate mini tach concept, any idea why the HD mount won't work w/ fat bars? Alternative mounts?

Even the tach add itself says "won't work" w/ fat bars. Any "good" aftermarket tachs?

·
Registered
2,300 Posts
The tach mount for the FLHRSEI is mounted on fat bars. Look into it, you might be able o buy it as a spare part and then add a tach to it.

Both the tank mounted one and the mini tach are mostly cosmetic, as they are very hard to read under the few conditions you would need to read them.

·
Registered
120 Posts
I would never be one to refute Hippo's advise, but I have the mini-tach on my '02 FLHRCI and even being near vision challenged, I have no trouble reading it. I'm one of the odd balls who "needs" a tach to be psycholgically comfortable, even though we all know that it really isn't necessary. I can't speak to the fat-bar mount, but if you want a tach, I think you'd like the mini just fine. My $.02.

·
Registered
120 Posts
BTW, I don't have the billet mount, just the one that comes with the mini-tach. Is it possible that it mounts differently than the billet piece and might allow the fat bars ??

·
Registered
2,300 Posts
I think there used to be a mount that just mounted to the fork lock cover on the Kings but memory may be failing me again. Should work as most fat bars have the diameter reduced to stock in the clamp area anyway.

No problem, I'm just cheap and use the rev limiter for a tach when playing around. The Glide I ride now has a tach that came with it and I still prefer to look where I'm going, just different riding styles that's all.

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Black Classic, any chance you could post a picture?

As i think about it, don't think i would use it to shift when "racing", rather, more curious of RPMs at various speeds. Partially just used to having one I think.

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks Hippo, so assuming my math is any good, when I roll on at, say, 55mph (in 5th), I'm 2444 RPM. Boy, it really pull strong for such a low rpm. Guess I never really focused on how much lowend torque they have!

·
Registered
2,300 Posts
Yup, that's the mount I was thinking of.

I just sort of shotgun this stuff Greg, on the late EFI baggers 90 is 4K and every 10 mph is just about 500 rpm either way in 5th, ie 80/3500, 70/3000 and so on.

What people forget with the bigger cams is that despite them moving the TQ peak higher up in the rpm band the peak is also numerically higher and you might well still have the same TQ# below the peak with them then you would have at the peak of a smaller cam in effect losing little or nothing below while gaining on top. On the other side anyone that expects to rollon in top gear from 50 mph might as well just ride a stock bike.

·
Registered
60 Posts
2 options:

1.) Use White Bros. Burly bars. They're necked down to 1 inch in the riser area, that is under the cover. The billet tach mount should still work, plus, they're made in USA and a lot cheaper.

2.) Order the parts from the Screaming Eagle RK that work with the 1.25" bars.

Dave

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Dave, not sure what you mean, riser area. My chubby's are reduced tp 1" where the clamp fits, and also at the ends for the throttle, etal????

·
Registered
60 Posts
gbenner,
If your bars are necked down to 1" where the clamp(riser) fits, then it should work. The billet mount doesn't work with the H-D fat bars, as they're 1.25" in the center and include a larger riser(clamp,) and cover, as used on the FLHRISE2. If your bar is 1" where the clamp fits, then the physical relationship between the tach mount and the riser cover should be the same as a stock 1" bar. Of course the possibility(read probability) of needing longer cables exists.

·
DR EVO
1,757 Posts
is there any reputable aftermarket companys offering a tach and speedo combo like the hd one at a significantly lower price than hd's whopping $400 plus? when and if that is what i am gonna do.

·
Premium Member
8 Posts
A friend of mine has a new 03 Road King with the mini tach in the billet mount with the Fat Handlebar Kit sold by Harley. Everything mounted just fine, it was installed at the dealer before the bike ever went home.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hi gbenner, no info on tack sorry. However I am interested in the chubby 508 bars. How do you like them? The local Harley dealer told me that I may have to buy longer cables and that they would NOT run the wires in the bars. Any problems like that?

Thanks, Mudpuppy

1 - 20 of 20 Posts