V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am reading use #3 pin on speedo and use a pin on ecu, but ecu's pictured are only for efi bikes. Can anyone help with my problem? I need to know where to pick up my tach signal and a diagram of plug layout would be helpfull. Thanks for helping.

·
Premium Member
290 Posts
look for the pink wire coming off your speedo harness. that's your tach tie in on an 06

·
Premium Member
290 Posts
sorry i was thinking of the newer model nightrain.

on your bike where the cables plug into your speedo, there should be 2 plugs almost identical. the one you want is the top plug and there is no wire coming out of pin #3, it's got a red plug in that specific hole. Get something like a paper clip and push the plug out, do not pull it out as you risk leaving some of the plastic plug in the hole. You have to go to HD and get a pin, crimp your own wire to it and tie into that. There is no need to tie into the ECM unless it's easier for you to access but I would think the speedo would be easier. If you use the ECM, it's the same #3 pin and you'll have to crimp a wire onto a pin you pick up at HD.

On a side note.. On some 05-06-07 models there is in fact a pink wire on #3 slot at the ECM and it runs just above the fuse box so you might be able to tap in there as well.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks, I will check it out tomorrow. If I remember right, there is only one plug going to my speedo. There is two rows of pins in this connector. Which row and which side do I count from to get the correct location? I apreciate your help

·
Premium Member
290 Posts
two rows is what I meant, sorry.. typo.. look closely at the plug each pin is numbered. you want #3

1 - 6 of 6 Posts