V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2006 FXBDI. I am installing an HD mini tach but I am not sure where to pick up a suitable tach signal. The 2006 Dyna service manual shows a "Data Link" or "Data Bus" wire connected to the speedo and the tach that is included on some Dynas. But this sounds like a serial data bus that some new fangled "smart" tach can interpret what is meaningful to it and pass the data on down the pipe.

Has anyone installed the HD mini tach or any aftermarket tach on your 2006 Dyna? If so, where did you pick up a signal suitable for a tach?

Thanks!!!

Incidentally . . . I bought an incredible tach mount made by Alloy Arts that mounts on the stem nut. I'd been looking at tach mounts for months . . even before I got the Street Bob and could not find what I wanted. I finally googled "stem nut tach mount" or similar and found this great product. I'll do a review and post pictures when it is installed.

·
Doing time, behind bars!
1,480 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Geez, you've been a member since Sept 2004 and you couldn't read "Posts: 1" oh so close to my join date?!?!

But seriously, despite the flashing and chaos in your post, I saw a link. I DID indeed search everywhere. I could have missed it, but I did not miss THAT thread. That thread mentions tapping into wires my bike simply doesn't have or that are not labelled clearly in the wiring schematics.

As far as I can tell, the new Dynas don't have a wire in the instruments harness for this purpose as they used to.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
BTW, I DO appreciate your effort though and if there was something in that thread that speaks to the issue I am having, konk me over the head with it because I am dense.

·
Doing time, behind bars!
1,480 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Snowman, do you have the service manual for your bike? Somewhere else I read that this serial data bus thing has been around for a few years so your bike may be like mine.

My service manual shows pins 1-3 on that main ECU connector unlabeled :-(

Just noticed your new post . .reading it now.

·
Doing time, behind bars!
1,480 Posts
not sure........

kpreese said:
Snowman, do you have the service manual for your bike? Somewhere else I read that this serial data bus thing has been around for a few years so your bike may be like mine.

Hopefully the Dyna guys will chime in because the problems you are having seem more model related.

Between the other posts and my Electrical Manual drawings, I was able to figure it out.

My drawing has Pin 3 named 'Tachometer' but there is NO line to indicate that the wire was ever there. As pointed out in the other threads, that wire does get installed in other models so they can install the H-D speedo/tacho and have it work when plugged in.

Therefore, I went directly to the ECM with a new pin and wire, as shown in my pictures.

Hope you get it solved soon, John

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The pin #3 on the speedometer did not work for me. Apparently, others have been able to do this on some models, but I had not heard of anyone doing it on a 2006 Dyna yet.

The ECM pin #3, though unlabeled in the wiring diagrams, DID work fine. I did a write up on shareaproject.com (highly recommend this site, it's free).

I hope this will help others or at least give them some ideas of things to avoid, etc.

http://www.shareaproject.com/pages/projectThumbs,p,173,00.html
Click on the first thumbnail to get a large image and detailed instructions in the "slideshow" view.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Tach install

Well done KPREESE!!! Suuper tutorial - have printed out the lot. I believe as well that a bike has to have a tach - it is something that is necessary also when explaining to the mech when something happens at what rev instead of speed.

·
Registered
3 Posts

Hello, I also have a 2006 Dyna FXDBI and I have tried everything to figure out where to find my tach signal connection to no avail. The sights listed telling where to hook the signal wire for it for some reason will never let me enter. Could you please tell me where to hook the signal wire on my Dyna?? Just email me at [email protected]. Thanks to you or any one who can help me.

·
Registered
3 Posts
its a pink wire near the speedo..
That is what I have heard several times that it is the pink wire for the tach signal. That is not true for my model because there is no pink wire anywhere. I have looked everywhere for a pink wire and there is no pink wire on my model. My Dyna is a 2006 FXDBI. There has to be a correct wire somewhere for the tach and I am hoping someone will know.

·
Super Moderator
3,212 Posts
If I remember correctly you have to connect it to the plug where it goes into the ECM.I did my 07 about 12 years ago.

·
Registered
17,339 Posts
.Where is the ECM and I need to know what color wire to connect to. I am very bad when it comes to electrics.
Pay a professional to do it.

It'll be cheaper than paying him to repair your screw up.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
3,212 Posts
You have to dissect this grey plug and add the pre-pinned tach wire. It's not for the faint of heart plus you must have the instructions and probably the factory electrical service manual.

Attachments

1 - 16 of 16 Posts