V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When I start my bike, (2000 FLHTCI w/95" kit) I hear a loud ticking like a lifters not pumping up. It has done this for a while now and it's getting louder as time goes on. Oil preasure gage looks OK, but the idiot light flickers a little. I always keep up with my iol changes and filters. It has 37,000 miles on it. Anybody else????

·
Registered
1,496 Posts
Sounds like a lifter change is in store for your bike. Some TC lifters can start to fail to keep the oil PSI in them. If the bike sits for a short time & you start it with no noise that the prob. Also check the adjustable push rods if you got them when they come lose they will cause ticking for sure. Wile your in there you can tighten them up & see if it helps.

·
Registered
2,300 Posts
If it goes away shortly after the engine is cold started it likely is a lifter.

Don't see it as related to the oil pressure light though, could just be a lazy sender. If the bike had some sort of oil pressure issue all the lifters would be noisy.

The lifters are cheap but you want to make sure you get the ones with the -B part#. Not as easy as it sounds as dealers are trying to unload their stock of the superseded part#'s.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts