V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
9,186 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
She crossed three lanes of traffic and just plain did not stop. Pulled out right in front of me leaving me less than 25 feet to react at 35 MPH. Happened faster than a shutter on a high speed *** camera.

Bike is towed to my house and looks like crap, won't start, and I have 12 lousy days before my brother Manny shows up at my house to ride out to Az with me.

Right arm is ripped but it will be fine. 1 pair of Levis are toast as well.

Downtime due to weather is one thing, but downtime because your bike looks like an accordian is something else! This really sucks!

Going to rip off the fender and the crash bars and try and isolate the electrical in the morning.

Considering the wreck and how it came about, I suppose I did pretty good. I only ripped up one arm but what the hell... I have another one and this one will heal.

To top it all off, my wife, who is in Oklahoma helping her mom who just had surgery heard about the wreck hours ago from my son. When I finally get home and have her on the phone she asks if I am ok. I say, yea, I'll be fine. Then without missing a beat she says, "So I suppose you are going to buy another bike now so you can ride off with your friends?"

Ya know, that thought had never occured to me before that.

So now I am going to bed, letting my arm scab up so I can't move the damn thing in the morning, and when I get up the proper back pressue, I am going to fart in her pillow and then tell her I did so, two days after she gets back home.

Ain't life grand?

·
Registered
2,300 Posts
Good to hear you are in good spirits. Any wreck you walk away from in retrospect will not sound that bad.

The OL sounds like a keeper.

Worse comes to worse we'll ride out to Tejas and fix the sumbitch.

·
Registered
9,186 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Brother, I am ALWAYS in good spirits. Even when I am mad as HELL, like now I always think about my brother Wayne. He is still preschool and it looks like he always will be.

The bike is just a machine. While I am pissed that this lame ass lady did this, I am at the same time glad that tonight is not one of horror and disbelief for my family, and hers.

·
Registered
875 Posts
Sucks about the scooter, but your still around and walking!

JimmyK said:
She crossed three lanes of traffic and just plain did not stop. Pulled out right in front of me leaving me less than 25 feet to react at 35 MPH.
LAW SUIT !

JimmyK said:
and when I get up the proper back pressue, I am going to fart in her pillow and then tell her I did so, two days after she gets back home.

Ain't life grand?

I will have to remember that :D and also remember to never sleep over at your place!

·
Registered
380 Posts
crash

Hey Jimmy real; glad to hear you are ok, but as for the bike it can be fixed, but may take some time along with your arm.
the wife sounds like a good one so keep her and get the bike fixed or pat her on the butt and get a new one.

·
Premium Member
309 Posts
JimmyK.

Stay pissed for a while, then get yourself another scooter. The sheet metel can be replaced, you can't be. Glad to hear that you walked away from it.

Ride Safe.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Glad to hear you are alright Jimmy. Sorry about the scooter though. Any accident on your scooter you can walk away from is something to celebrate. So go celebrate and get that new scooter to putt around Houston (or take a trip to AZ:D ) while your putting "Humpty Dumpty" back together again. As far as the OL..... We all must carry some burdens in life LOL;) . Home your recovery is a quick one.

·
Premium Member
3,694 Posts
Glad you're still with us, Jimmy!!!;)

Goes to show how close to the edge we are, everyday.

Don't fart in her pillow. You've got a cool OL. She's a keeper.

·
Founder/Administrator
1,315 Posts
Damn Jimmy...Glad you are OK and still with us. You are a very fortunate person.

First the speedo and now this. I think a new bike is calling your name. :)

·
Registered
9,186 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks to all of ya!

The Seedo turned out to be the sensor. Replaced that yesterday morning and all was well. Did the 45k and changed out the rear tire in anticipation of the upcoming trip.

The Crawfish Festival is going on this weekend in Old Town Spring. People everywhere so riding through is very slow and careful. I had just gotten to where the parade portion was breaking up heading west. The oncoming cars, dual lane were backing up due to entering the event. Two cars, oncoming stopped to let this woman out of a parking lot. She was not visible from my side of the street. Now I saw the cars stop and knew someone would be trying to get out of the lot. Apparantly no sooner than they stopped, she just floored it without any concern for oncoming traffic. I bagan brakeing when I saw the top of her SUV crossing the traffic. I knew she was going to enter my lane and could not believe it when she did not stop to look but just came on. I was about two car lengths from the opening when she just rolled out. No way to stop, could not vere left as all the cars were there stopped due to the traffic. There was a school bus parked on my right and people walking so had I chose to vere right I would have killed some kid probably. So I began the process of laying it down to on the right side a split second before I hit her. I honestly believe this is what kept me from going over the handlebars and through her side window.

There was a good 75 bikes out and I know probably 3/4s of the guys that were out last night. Word got out fast as there were a few bikes entering old town when the thing happened. About 20 of the folks I know zipped on down to the site and brought traffic to a stop on both sides of the street. They just pulled there bikes into traffic, came to a stop and parked right there and shut down. It looked like a wagon train that had formed a circle around me and the Kia. The lady and her son I could tell were terrified. They were black and as you know there are a lot of racist assholes out there. Looking around and seeing a bunch of bikers coming to the aid of a friend could not have been comfortable for these folks.

One guy named Ray was beginning to talk stupid and made some racist remarks. I asked another guy, Billy to go over and tell him Jimmy was requesting that he leave now. Ray looked over at me and I gave him a look of disgust. He fired up his scoot and he and another guy left. You could hear the cops and the ambulance coming. Three cop cars showed up. One cop asked me if I was the owner of the smashed up bike. Under the circumstances it was kind of a dumb ass question as I am standing there with ripped up jeans and a bloody arm. LOL! Te rest of the cops asked the guys to move their bikes so they could get traffic rolling again.

Anyway it could have been much worse.

Front forks
Handle Bars
Front Fender
Front Tire
Front Crash Bar
Throttle Grip
Are all toast.

Electrical problem may have toasted the battery as well, don't know yet.

So I am sitting here with NO transportation whatsoever, and I am out of Damn ciggarettes and don't have any BEER! Nearest store, one mile. CRAP!

·
Registered
113 Posts
Glad to hear it wasn't worse, the smokes you can do without but someone will have to go on a beer run for you. The MRS sounds like a keeper to me as well.

·
Traveling Man
1,272 Posts
Jimmy...glad you came out as good as you did and weren't hurt any worse. I know the bike damage can be repaired but still a bummer for you. Hey, if you need me to bring ya some smokes let me know.

Later,

·
Registered
2,328 Posts
Jimmy, happy to hear your o.k. man.Can't say I know what your going through, I've been lucky.

From your account of what happened sounds like layin' it down was your only option.As everyone has said, the scooter can be fixed or another one can be bought,what matters is your o.k.

It takes a "class act" to put an asshole in his place concerning racism.We need more people like you on two wheels!

Here's wishing you a speedy recovery,I've got a feelin' you'll be back in the saddle in no time!

Keep us posted.
guido

·
Registered
629 Posts
Good to hear that you are alright.

You could always try to work the used bike angle on the OL. You know, they are cheaper (that way you don't have to try and break in the bike in 12 days:D ).

·
Registered
9,186 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Re: Class

highrider said:
You are a man of Class Jimmy, being able to confront a racist when you are down is truly honorable in our country, My hats off to you.

Sorry about the incident, you sound like you are handling the incident remarkably well. Take care and good luck!

Actually it did not take any balls on my part whatsoever. I know the guy and he knows damn good and well that I could kick his ass up to his shoulders.

Knowing the guy I can also say it was out of character for him. I think it was the excitement of the whole thing.

Anyway I am not going to try and get a new or used bike in 11 days to make the trip me and my brothers have planned. If I was to do that I would likely end up with a bike that I really did not want. I spoke with Manny last night and he sugested PLAN X.

Instead of riding from Jersey to Houston to meet up with me and Daryl on the 16th and then ride out to meet with Hippo and John in Kingman, he is now going to use up six days to ride from Jersey back to Nappa. I am now flying out to Nappa on the 17th. We will leave from Nappa on the 18th and I will be riding his Fatboy and he will take his RoadGlide to Az.

WE WILL DO THIS RIDE! IT IS THE IHR ANNUAL AND NOTHING WILL STOP THIS RIDE!

After talking to Manny I called my wife at her moms house and told her what the new plan was. She was good with that as soon as she did the math.

One thing I would really like to take the time to mention here is this. Manny, Hippo John Daryl and I, along with a number of other folks first met on the Internet. Much like this place, there are quite a few folks who become the core and the normal poster that is active. Over time, and the shareing of stories and daily life events, it becomes clear that "hey this guy shares alot of the same thoughts I do!"

Most people believe that you cannot form a true concept of "brother" on a keyboard. The completion of this run, which now requires one brother to loan another brother a bike so he can make it will prove that most people are wrong.

So as you read this, and continue to post and read here on Davids site, remember that this is one of the most unique sites of this kind. We really have no folks here who's sole intent is to create and cause division. What we do have is a lot of like minded folks that take their time to share with the youngsters and new bike owners. Showing patience and passing on knowledge is what a true "biker" is about. Loving the lifestyle enough to pass it on to those coming up says a lot of all of you. I was reading one thread last night where a new man to HD was perplexed because the right side exhaust seemed stronger than the left. On a lot of boards he would have been jumped on just for asking. Instead, he got some good advice and assurance that it is normal and the way the bike is designed.

People who have a recollection of the dream. Who remember the "first ride". Folks who remember riding out on the first bike THEY owned. Remember their first oil change, their first rock chip on a frame :eek:

These folks, so long as they continue to remember make the best the wind has to offer.

Look around this board and then tell me brothers cannot be formed from such a forum. If you disagree and post such on the 17th or 18th I will miss the thread until I get back with my BROTHERS! :D

Keep the shiney side up y'all. Trust me on this. The bike looks a hell of a lot better that way! LOL

I am FIXING and KEEPING MY BIKE. She is MINE and the Pearl Bronze King will ride again!

Right now however, I am going to do something about this house before my wife gets home Thursday ! LOL!

Let's see now. Colors cold water, Whites hot??? Check

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
Dang Jimmy, good to hear your OK(sorta :D )

What we do have is a lot of like minded folks that take their time to share with the youngsters and new bike owners. Showing patience and passing on knowledge is what a true "biker" is about.

Thanks Jimmy. I think there is probably alot of people on the board that do not post much that needed to hear that.:cool:

·
Registered
8,786 Posts
Glad to hear you're okay Jimmy and regardless of the other guy's inability to kick ass, he should not have behaved the way he did and I commend you for letting him know it's inapproriateness.

Being new to this myself, I have spent a considerable amount of time searching the net for these boards. I've joined many of them and this is truly the best. Some are degrading towards the members and everybody disagrees, but not here. Just look at the posts in the "My story" section and how everybody gets a warm welcome, maybe not the entire board jumping up to say hello, but no one goes unrecognized.

Rest that arm up and to hell with the laundry! Get back out and ride!

·
Registered
381 Posts
Jimmy, glad to hear your okay. My experience with my accident in 73 was very similar. I saw it all like in slow motion but had zero reaction time as it was happening so fast. Unlike you I didn't slide it and did hit the window with my helmet, the fell back onto the bike and slid it.

Cool that everyone circled you to protect yau while down and that your cooler head prevailed and the situation did not escalate. Get the Bronze King up and running soon.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts