V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone run synthetic oil? Can you guys give me the pros and cons of using synthetic oil. Or should I stick with only H.D. oil from the dealer? I only want the best oil in my motor. What do the wise seasoned riders reccommend? THANKS IN ADVANCE for helping a first time owner.

·
Premium Member
328 Posts
Page 2

CubicInches,

Go to the 2nd page of this forum, look under topic synthetic oil by Grayghost. There are 16 posts which should answer your questions.

·
Registered
71 Posts
This is so cool because I was thinking of starting a thread about what woudl be the best oil to use. I have always been under the philosophy that more importantly its not WHAT oil you use, it's how often you change it. Keeping your oil changed is just important for longevity, especially in ANY air-cooled engine.

·
Premium Member
309 Posts
OII CHANGING/TIME

HIGMO,

RIGHT YOU ARE. i HAVE BEEN DOING IT FOR SO LONG THAT IT HAS BECOME 2ND NATURE TO KEEP AN EYE ON THE MILEAGE IN ORDER TO CHANGE IT WHEN THE TIME ARRIVED, AND ALSO TO CHANGE IT EVEN MORE FREQUENTLY IN WINTER USE, BUT I FAILED TO POINT THAT OUT TO NYAZ2000. tHANKS FOR GETTING ME BACK IN LINE.

RIDE SAFE.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Mobil1 15W-50 (Red cap). I usually buy it @ Wal-Mart in 5 qt. jugs for around $17.

I don't think I've used fossil oil in any engine in any vehicle - other than break in - since the Carter administration. :D

·
Registered
71 Posts
Mobil 1 is darn good oil. I was also wondering about the Castrol synth stuff too. I'll bet the Bel-Ray synthetics are good, but all in all, its just oil and I don't think that it makes a huge difference other than just keeping it changed and keeping it clean. Keeping your crankcase breather and your air filter clean also improves oil longevity and viscosity. I tend to run whatever is my flavor of the week , hehe.

·
<{{{><
170 Posts
I use Mobil I V-Twin 20-50. Totally rececommend it. It's not cheap and I have to order it online but my bike's worth it. Stay away from auto Mobil I it's not formulated for air cooled engines. Theres a good deal of info on the Mobil I site.
My $.02 worth
Bruce

1 - 9 of 9 Posts